Quad ESL-57

gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Has anybody heard, had, or does have this critically acclaimed electrostatic speaker of yore? How do they compare to modern electrostatic/ribbon speakers? I've heard the Maggie 1.6s and would think that the Quads would win.

There is a pair within driving distance for $1300. I think that if I didn't like them, I could always sell them and maybe make some money, but that's not what I'm looking to do.

Then again there's another pair of speakers for $240 that I may get. Hey Troy, you don't happen to have an AMC pre, do you? I'm just thinking that with the Carver on the way I'd be a copy-cat. These come with stands.

At $1300 there's also a pair of Proac w/stands, but I'm not that interested. Maybe I should be.
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    I've heard the ESL-63's at a shop in Maine last year. Awesome. Flawless midrange. Bass is not super deep but very tight and controlled. (Similar to the DQ-10). Highs are silky smooth as well.

1300 with stands, I think is a good deal.

No, I've got an Adcom passive preamp and a Hafler DH-101 preamp. You got dibs on the AMC pre. I do have an AMC cd player.

Yeah, man, get your electrostat on!!!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    You may have missed the hint as to the make/model of the $240 speakers. I do have a Dynaco that is a David(?) Hafler design.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Duh, what a DUMBASS.

I'd bag the 240 pair. I would say that overall the Quad is better but not by an extreme margin, mainly a smoother top end. Midrange and bass is pretty close, IMO.

I knew you had some D.H. Dynaco gear.....I've scoped a Hafler amp in a local shop, I'm pondering it just for GP's.

BDT
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Troy,

just curious, I have a DH-110 and matching DH-220 (these mosfets last forever......). I outgrew them, had them since 1986. Do you have any idea what this pair would fetch me on ebay? thx
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    The pre, probably in the neighborhood of C-note. Amp, dollar a watt or so, I'd say.

BDT