Monitor 10s splat

Options
By-Tor-tp
By-Tor-tp Posts: 6
edited April 2003 in Speakers
Had a blown driver so I replaced one. However, the speaker still splats when given any power (new sonyES 100 watt amp). It seems I can barely turn up the power to these guys. They start spating at about 1/3 power.

The speakers aren't distorting, it seems they dont have enough resistance (like in a sealed box where its not really sealed so no back presure) and thus splat. Its very annoying that I cant turn these things up like I used to.

Any ideas whats going on? Should I replace all the drivers?
Post edited by By-Tor-tp on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Push on all the drivers to listen for rubbing. Before splatting feel around the speaker for any air leaks. If neither of these solves the problem it might be the crossover(s).

Is it happening to both speakers? Have you had problems with your previous amp? Can you connect another receiver or amp for testing? Or test this new Sony with another set of speakers?

I too have the 10s. Nice speaker. I use to have a Sony receiver (non-ES) that gave my Polks problems, but I don't think you should have any problems with an ES line amp.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • By-Tor-tp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    No rubbing, I replaced the one that did (it was barely rubbing but that means its going out so I replaced it).

Not really any air leaks. When I push on the speakers the bass radiator moves and visa versa, so its sealed pretty well.

My old Denon amp seemed to drive them much better and all the other speakers seem to run ok too (home theater setup with all polks). It just seems that the amp input is overdriven, like the level is too high, but when I turn them up close to half way its not that loud but the speakers still splat.

It seems only the one is splating (the one I replaced the speaker in) and the other one is a little better, but they both seem like that are a little weak not being able to handle the power of the sony amp, which is only 100 watts where as the speaker can handle 250. I even played with the ohms on the amp, changing it from 8 to 4 to see if it would help, but no luck.

Do you think the drivers are just worn out and I should replace them all? Thanks for your help.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I'm thinking it's the amp. When you blew the one driver, was it with the Sony?

BTW: Wlecome the the forum snowdog!
  • By-Tor-tp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    ya, it was with the sony amp. I looked for some way to lower the pre-amp input (either on the amp or from the dvd player) but no go. The amp is fairly new (bought it brand new) and it works fine except at higher volumes.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I hope you can still return that Sony. I would think that the ES line of amps would be up to snuff nad be able to drive those 10s to the max.

I once blew a mid/woof in my 10Bs on a Sony. At the time I had the 10B hooked to the right channel and an Acoustiflex (30 watt rating) hooked to the left. I have since bought a JVC (high current claims) receiver with 20 more watts. My 10Bs sound great now. No mud or splatting/bottoming out.
  • By-Tor-tp
    edited November 2002
    Options
    the sony drives everything else fine.

They splating happens when you drive too much power to the speakers; its not distortion like an over driven amp. Its like when you put 60 clean watts to a 20 watt speaker. Thats why I'm wondering if the drivers themselves are just worn out.

Its not an ES reciever, it just uses the same amp.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Sony/SonySTR-DB930.shtml
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The drivers or crossover might be bad. I'd give Kenneth Swaugger (sp?) a call. Click on the service and parts link at the top right corner. He is a heck of a guy and will be able to answer your questions better than me.
  • By-Tor-tp
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Well, I replaced both of the drivers in the speaker. When I turn up the volume a little loud, it just cant handle the bass. I see extensive driver travel, so much that it splats. Ive seen this before with poorly sealed speakers, but mine seem air tight. Could a bad radiator cause this? I dont see how since there is no driver, but its like there is no resistance to the drivers so they end up splating.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2003
    Options
    By-Tor-tp
    What is splating?
    Do you have the bass set flat? all bass enhancements turned off?

I ask because these speakers do have bass, very good bass as a matter of fact, but it you are asking them to play techno/disco/rap type music with a lot of bass, and then you crank up the bass levels, two things the Polk speakers will bottom out, and the Sony will run out of power.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • By-Tor-tp
    edited April 2003
    Options
    basically the speakers are reaching their end of travel and thus 'splating' at their ends. The speaker is rated at 250 watts max and the amp is only a 100 watt amp. The speaker does this at '3.5' on the volume, 1 being the lowest. The other speaker (right one which has never been opened) does not splat.

I guess I'll have to buy a subwoofer for home theater as these cant really handle the base like they used to.
  • gidrah
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I would have to believe it's in the crossover. I splatted my 10Bs before it blew. I was able to determine the blown driver and replace it without any further problems. Oddly enough, I listen to my 4 watt speakers at near the same volume.

Recheck that the new drivers are connected correctly. Turn them up to near splatting levels and use smoke or baby powder (squeezed from upright container) to look for air leaks similar to when checking weather-proofing of window and such. If all else fails, swap crossovers. I'm thinking there is a bottom roll-off in the cross-over that is no longer rolling and they are trying to reproduce a signal they aren't designed to.

I'd also e-mail and/or call Kenneth Swaugger of Polk customer service. He should be able to hook you up.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2003
    Options
    I had the same problem with a RTA11. I pulled the radiator and saw that it was ripping apart on the inside. I replaced it and the problem went away. I would pull it and check for any tears or rips. Good luck!