Ebay question

Polk user
Polk user Posts: 311
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
If an item for sale does not have a reserve price but has a Buy Now price, is the buy now price a reserve or can I bid lower and win if no one else bids?

Thanks in advance!!!
Post edited by Polk user on

Comments

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited January 2008
    Bid lower, but risk someone swooping in and buying it then and there. If you want it bad and somebody else likely does as well, buy it now.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited January 2008
    are you guys sure, if there is no reserve and a bid is placed, wouldn't the BIN go away?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    my item i'm a selling Sony ES CDP, had a BIN price.. now that I have one bid, the BIN is GONE BYE BYE.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    are you guys sure, if there is no reserve and a bid is placed, wouldn't the BIN go away?

I think that you're correct. It's my understanding that once someone bids on an item, the BIN goes away.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2008
    A BIN only stays on an auction with bids if there's a reserve, and then only until the reserve is met.

So yes, you can bid on a BIN auction. The BIN will dissapear.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2008
    so does Ebay still charge you the BIN fees if your item doesn't sell with BIN? that would suck if they do.. but won't surprise me at all.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited January 2008
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Bid lower, but risk someone swooping in and buying it then and there. If you want it bad and somebody else likely does as well, buy it now.

I thought with Buy It Now as soon as anyone bid the BIN option was no longer avail.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    Yes, absolutely, the BIN disappears when someone bids low, unless there is a reserve.
    danger boy wrote: »
    so does Ebay still charge you the BIN fees if your item doesn't sell with BIN? that would suck if they do.. but won't surprise me at all.

BIN fee is usually only 20 cents or something. Its charged when you list an item no matter whether it sells with the BIN or not. For me, its usually worth it. If its something I want to move quickly, I will put a decent BIN price on my items with no reserve and often, savvy buyers will recognize it as a good price and jump. Other times, some cheap arse comes in a bids low (making the BIN disappear) and usually the auction ends up going higher than my original BIN price.

Adding a reserve price makes your insertion fee go WAY up (because they base it on the reserve price instead of the opening bid price), so even if your reserve is met (and the reserve fee is refunded), you still pay Ebay a lot more than if you just have a low opening bid with no reserve (BIN or not).
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    Also with BIN you have to have a rating of 10 or above to be able to use BIN as the seller. I always sell with a reserve and BIN because if I can't get what I feel the minimum price should be then I'd just keep the item. Sure in th end the fee's are more but the item sells for more also.

I don't use e-bay a lot and I've always had things sell way above my reserve price so I've not had an issue. But I don't sell junk or garage sale type items. Usually collectibles or electronics or sporting goods, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited January 2008
    sometimes ebay can get a little over complicated for casual sellers like myself. all for good reasons I'm sure but dang at trying to figure it out AGAIN every few months I put something up for sale. okay, off my soap box for the day :rolleyes:
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • danger boy
    edited January 2008
    I use software online called Auctiva that allows you to use more pictures in your auctions.. because they host the pictures instead of EPay, therefor saving you a few bucks. plus they have some cool templates too. Ebay charges .15 per picture after the first one which is free. Auctiva does not.

I sell items a couple times a month on ebay.. so it's worth it if you can not put more money into their pockets. ;)
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    I use software online called Auctiva that allows you to use more pictures in your auctions.. because they host the pictures instead of EPay, therefor saving you a few bucks. plus they have some cool templates too. Ebay charges .15 per picture after the first one which is free. Auctiva does not.

I sell items a couple times a month on ebay.. so it's worth it if you can not put more money into their pockets. ;)

You can also just load pictures up at Photobucket and paste the html link into your auction. I never pay Ebay for pictures, except for the gallery photo, which seems to improve my auction success.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2008
    I rarely use a BIN, when I do I try and make it on the high side. I've found that a low BIN on an auction with no bids can make buyers think it's not worth buying. Whereas a high BIN will either be bit on by a buyer in a hurry, or it'll quickly be discounted as BS and the normal bidding will start.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2008
    billbillw wrote: »
    You can also just load pictures up at Photobucket and paste the html link into your auction. I never pay Ebay for pictures, except for the gallery photo, which seems to improve my auction success.

good idea.. very similar to what i use.. both work great from what I have heard ;)

death to Ebay fees! :p
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    I just started using Photo Bucket too and it's nice not having to pay them for adding pictures. Plus, it gives more resolution to the photos as long as they were taken well and the bidder/buyer doesn't have to click, wait for it to open, etc.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    avguytx wrote: »
    I just started using Photo Bucket too and it's nice not having to pay them for adding pictures. Plus, it gives more resolution to the photos as long as they were taken well and the bidder/buyer doesn't have to click, wait for it to open, etc.

Not to mention, Photobucket has very high bandwidth limits. For a normal seller, it would never be an issue. Years ago, before I discovered P.B., I used my internet provider's web hosting for auction photos. I got totally screwed by them because I had an auction with large photos and ended up getting a ton of hits, which caused my bandwidth to be exceeded. Without warning, all of my photos disappeared. Because it was in the last 24 hours, I couldn't make any changes to the auction at that point or even add a "email me for photos" line. I felt like the lack of photos in the end really affected my sale price. I was furious!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited January 2008
    You have the option of setting a reserve price with a Buy-it-Now auction. You also have to always state a starting price. If I put an item up for Buy-it-Now without a reserve price, once someone bids the starting price the Buy-it-Now disappears and it's now just a regular auction to the highest bidder. If I put a reserve price on the Buy-it-Now auction, then the Buy-it-Now will stay there until someone meets my reserve price no matter how many bids the item receives.
    A high Buy-it-Now price is kind of like trolling for dummies. You'd be surprised how uneducated some buyers are. You set a reasonable reserve and a high Buy-it-Now price if you think there's a chance someone will jump on it. Then you're assured to get at least what you want (reserve price) with the chance of making a good score. Yeah, maybe a little shady but there are lots of buyers out there with lots of cash who see something they want and don't care that much about the price. And as for the dummies, well that's their fault for being dummies. There are lots of ways to check the true value of an item prior to jumping.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Polk user
    edited January 2008
    Does anyone know about a sniping program that bids for you at the last second?
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    Polk user wrote: »

There are probably dozens. Esnipe is the one that I use currently but I've used others. All seem to have the same results.
  • Polk user
    edited January 2008
    Thanks,

I just looked at Esnipe and the first thing they want is my Ebay username and password. I didn't realize thats how it works so I won't be using it as I don't think I want to give that out.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008

I use E-snipe as recommended by my brother who has used it for years. It's secure, cheap, and works really well. Don't be afraid of it just because you have to give your basic e-bay info. Not sure how it could work otherwise.

If it really bothers you that much after each use change your password.
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    Thanks,

I just looked at Esnipe and the first thing they want is my Ebay username and password. I didn't realize thats how it works so I won't be using it as I don't think I want to give that out.

They need that info to enter your bid at the appropriate time (4 seconds left). No other way they could enter a snipe bid. All the services need that info.