Frequency of THX intro

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
There is a THX speaker test on some DVDs... it plays a tone through each of the speakers in turn (Toy Story has it). Does anyone know the frequency of the subwoofer tone used in this test??

I can hear and feel the tone through my Monitor 7Cs, and was just wondering what frequency I was getting.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Are you referring to the Pink Noise measurement?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    I found this on the Net. should help clear things up a bit.
    The characteristics of pink noise
    For the purposes of this discussion, "power" means the average power or energy contained in a signal over a long period of time.
    White noise has the same distribution of power for all frequencies, so there is the same amount of power between 0 and 500 Hz, 500 and 1,000 Hz or 20,000 and 20,500 Hz.

Pink noise has the same distribution of power for each octave, so the power between 0.5 Hz and 1 Hz is the same as between 5,000 Hz and 10,000 Hz.

Since power is proportional to amplitude squared, the energy per Hz will decline at higher frequencies at the rate of about -3dB per octave. To be absolutely precise, the rolloff should be -10dB/decade, which is about 3.0102999 dB/octave.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    The THX test tone generator subwoofer tone is centered at about 40 Hz, but contains some harmonics above and low that.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS