All your HD DVD are belong to me!!

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Look people, the war is over. As noted HERE, HERE, and HERE Blu Ray has won, HD DVD has lost.

So for all you 'suckers' who bought into HD DVD, you're screwed! On VBD +1 (That's Victory for Blu Ray Day for those of you not in the know), all HD DVD players will cease to function and HD DVD media will self destruct.

The best course of action for anyone foolish enough to have purchased anything HD DVD is to send any players or media to an official "HD DVD Waste Disposal Facility". There happens to be one of those right down the road from me. Unfortunately, they're being so overwhelmed by consumers and studios alike abandoning HD DVD and wanting to purge all their dangerous media that they're not able to accept any new players or media at this time.

I know a guy who knows a guy though, so I can hook you guys up. So, just send ME all your HD DVD media and I'll take care of it for you - no charge. But you gotta act quick, because VBD could come at any time, even tomorrow!

To answer a few questions briefly:

Q: I already own a HD DVD player and movies, what should I do?
a: Obviously purchasing HD DVD stuff was a mistake, but one you're still able to rectify. Just pack up all your stuff and send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Q: I went with Blu Ray, what should I do?
A: You made the right decision, you're okay. You should go ahead and grab a few of the BOGO titles on Amazon and other sites while they're on sale.

Q: I was waiting on the war to end before I bought anything, what should I do now?
A: That was a good safe decision. Well obviously do NOT buy an HD DVD player since it'll be obsolte very soon and the media will explode. Go ahead and buy a Blu Ray player and some media while the media is fairly cheap.

Q: I bought BOTH players, what should I do?
A: Send the HD DVD stuff to me, buy more Blu Ray discs.

Q: Are they going to release all the stuff that's only on HD DVD right now on Blu Ray?
A: I'm sure they will.

Q: How long will that take?
A: I do not know how long it is going to take the studios to release titles currently only available on HD DVD on Blu Ray, so movies like Transformers, the Bourned trilogy and the Matrix will probably show up on Blu Ray, I'm just not sure when. I hear it's SUPER cheap to produce Blu Ray discs though, so I'd expect those in a matter of weeks.

Q: Will this format war have any impact on the price of media?
A: Yes, my guess is that with one format winning we'll see the prices increase overall - likely in the form of less BOGO and similar sales. Yeah, I know the prices of DVDs eventually came down over time, but that took at least 5 years and in 5 years from now we'll probably be more digital than physical media based.

Q: What about the different Blu Ray profiles I'm hearing about?
A: I don't know the difference between profiles for Blu Ray (1, 2, whatever) - I just get whatever my PS3 has. I'm pretty sure the higher up numbers are better though.

Final Thoughts
Remember, competition is BAD. Nothing good ever came from competition. Industries competing against each other does NOT drive better product development, better efficiency, and lower prices. History has proven that, especially in a capitalistic society, we are at our best when nobody really tries to compete with each other to make a better product, so the sooner we all let Sony monopolize the market with their Blu Ray medium the better off we are.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited January 2008
    WAAAAA! Too funny

I'll be sending you all my HD DVD stuff as soon as I'm through with it. which will be in about.......
    /.

Two years!;)
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited January 2008
    Go ahead and get me your address.:(
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    Eww, I'm down for helping to "dispose" of your HD-DVD titles as well. I've heard that, since the big news, most of the HD-DVD discs are technically biohazardous. Like batteries, you can't just throw them away. I have connections that can get them to the correct facility. You're welcome in advance for my help.

I have over 20 HD-DVD titles with Harry Potter and 5 freebies yet to come. They'll probably quarantine my apartment soon.

Nice post maniac. I can't believe I have 2 HD-DVD players. I'm such an idiot, even though the combined cost (+ 20 free HD-DVDs) was less than the cost of my last universal SD-DVD player (PE 59avi).
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    With Toshiba **** the pooch on 3rd generation players ( Stuttering....audio becoming un-synced from video at layer change....players unable to play rental HD discs because of the hairline scratches caused by the paper sleeves ....rental blu-rays not effected because blu-rays come hard coated...HD discs have no hard coat...etc The list goes on and on ) it was only a matter of time before people gave up on the format.

I'll get my buddies who were suckered into getting these crap products and do nothing but cuss them out to send you their discs....:rolleyes:

P.S. Updated to the absolute latest firmware and they didnt buy the cheap players either....the HD-A35 was bought by 3 of them :) Guess those free HD discs could be used as coasters :D
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in my best Vadar voice)
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2008
    I'm still pretty happy with my choice. I will have about 30 HD-DVDs shortly, all of them play well for the time being, and I only bought a couple of them (lot of freebies from Amazon, rebates, and received as gifts).

I probably will get a BR player before long. But, honestly, it has been well worth the $500 or so I've put into this format so far. Watching Beer Fest in HighDef almost made it worth the 2 hours of my life I put into it. And, that's saying a lot.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    I'm still pretty happy with my choice. I will have about 30 HD-DVDs shortly, all of them play well for the time being, and I only bought a couple of them (lot of freebies from Amazon, rebates, and received as gifts).

I probably will get a BR player before long. But, honestly, it has been well worth the $500 or so I've put into this format so far. Watching Beer Fest in HighDef almost made it worth the 2 hours of my life I put into it. And, that's saying a lot.

Andy will supply everyone with exact HD copies of all titles no longer avaliable on HD.

I'll just get the HD/Blueray converted coming out next year.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    I probably will get a BR player before long.

Don't you have one of the A1's or XA1's? Just pull out the optical drive and replace it with a $100 BD drive (should be that low very soon) and put in a HD. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle to make one of them a good HTPC with BD. :)
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2008
    I do have an XA1. Maybe we can go into business collecting discarded A1s, XA1s, XA2s, etc. from the dump, goodwill, etc., make them into BR players, and resell.

Kind of like in Fight Club. . . take the fat people payed to have lypo'd out, remanufacture, and resell it back to them for a tidy profit :)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    In any case (pun intended) it makes a very nice HTPC case so not all the money is lost. :D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    I just talked to two more people at work about this...seriously, what's wrong with people?

They TRULY think that their HD DVD media is going to become obselete, like it's not going to work anymore!!!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Hmph, I guess that would explain why all my standard DVDs just started melting away as soon as I bought my HD player.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2008
    players unable to play rental HD discs because of the hairline scratches caused by the paper sleeves ....rental blu-rays not effected because blu-rays come hard coated...HD discs have no hard coat...etc The list goes on and on ) it was only a matter of time before people gave up on the format.
    :D

Seems a lot of Blu ray rentals(netflix) are hosed in the mail, too.
    We had a number of titles arrive unplayable. Seems no format is mailman proof.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT are still on board and will continue to release media. if hd dvd inevitably loses, then we'll see threads ten years from now asking "who still has an hd dvd player?" like the threads that ask "who still has their laser discs?"

i will finally be able to answer, "i do."

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    N1 polkmaniac. :)

I also believe the sky is falling, Sony is just doing what's in the best interest of consumers, and that everyone who got a Blu-Ray player instead of HD DVD is a smarter, more sophisicated and more popular person than me.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited January 2008
    I'm a little concerned. I received Transformers on HD DVD for Christmas but I haven't had time to watch it yet. Do you think it still works? If not I might need your address to have my HD DVD gear and media recycled. I'm really bummed about the $100 I spent my my HD DVD player. Oh well at least I got to watch the Bourne trilogy. When did you say these old titles were coming out on Blew-Ray again?

PM...fantastic post.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    You people are COLD!!! Kicking these poor f**kers when they're DOWN!!!:D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2008
    UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT are still on board and will continue to release media. if hd dvd inevitably loses, then we'll see threads ten years from now asking "who still has an hd dvd player?" like the threads that ask "who still has their laser discs?"

i will finally be able to answer, "i do."

Bizill, I am anxiously awaiting this moment as well. Can't wait till I'm pushing 40 in ten years, have 15000 posts on the Polk Forum (or Definitive, or whatever it will be called by then), will be thought of as a "senior member" of the board, and can tell stories about the days I used to have an HD-DVD player. . . wait, scratch that, TWO HD-DVD players. It will be like the people I look at now that have reel-to-reels and talk about how great they sound.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited January 2008
    I have an old Bell & Howell projector along with a Kodak Super 8 camera. The 0.0 surround sound is stunning :)
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited January 2008
    I'm still in wait and see mode, all the Blu-Ray folks got all upset when Paramount went HD DVD only, alot of folks were saying that Sony is going to screw this up like they did the mini disc or SACD or what ever else they had there hands on, from what I understand Sony pretty much developed the BD format. And at this point there are still 2 major studios supporting HD DVD only Paramount and Universal, not Lions Gate or Mira-max or Search light or whoever, so if your wanting so if you wanting Transformers or any of the Bourne movies on BD you will be waiting atleast another year or so, and Warner Brothers has yet to release the Matrix or Batman on BD and those 2 have been out for ever on HD DVD so don't look for those any time soon either on BD. And alot of folks forget one of the most important factors in all this and that is Microsoft, they could keep pumping money in to HD DVD for pretty much as long as they want, keeping this whole format war BS going on for a good while longer. Now I 'm sure that some one here will come in and argue every point I've tried to make, and more power to them, and I don't want you all to get the wrong idea that I'm one of those HD DVD till the end guys, but I've said it befoer and I'll say it again that right now HD DVD is the better format, BUT I have no delusions that HD DVD will come out on top of all this, Blu-ray should be the better format, but right now its not. All I'm saying is that don't through the towel in on HD DVD just yet.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2008
    Paramount is about ready to jump to Blu as well... someone check the temp, HD is cooked!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    I'm PISSED!!!! I want my money back!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I just talked to two more people at work about this...seriously, what's wrong with people?

They TRULY think that their HD DVD media is going to become obselete, like it's not going to work anymore!!!

Yep, same feeling I get. Like I posted in the other thread (hope its ok with bob) I really don't know what might happen with HD-DVD, but the player I have does a great job upconverting my SD discs.

RT1
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2008
    Toxis wrote: »
    Paramount is about ready to jump to Blu as well... someone check the temp, HD is cooked!

Debunked.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2008
    Yep, same feeling I get. Like I posted in the other thread (hope its ok with bob) I really don't know what might happen with HD-DVD, but the player I have does a great job upconverting my SD discs.

RT1

Ted, what equipment of yours does the upconverting from SD discs?

Would you like to compare that to a PE avi79?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    Steve,

Both the Toshiba dvd and the Mit TV upconvert the signal, as you saw at the fest SD looks excellent on the set, sure HD is still better but the upcoverting on the player and set have narrowed the margin, I see the biggest diffence with the Toshiba as opposed to the DirectTv HD player so I figure the Toshiba HD-DVD is mainly responsible for the improved picture. Of course there is a caveat, the Tosh is a 480p signal and the Direct SD is 480i.

All I can say is that SD-DVD looks very very good on the set, to the point that I do not feel compelled to buy HD discs, well at least not for now.

RT1
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    polksda wrote: »
    Debunked.

Huh?

Got a link?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jwhitakr
    edited January 2008
    Toxis wrote: »

Not yet, they aren't.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aQMGgh2LV_bU
    My HT

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • jwhitakr
    edited January 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Huh?

Got a link?

See my above post.
    My HT

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2008
    jwhitakr wrote: »
    Not yet, they aren't.
    That's why I said they're about ready to... it will happen much sooner than they're leading on to.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.