Speaker add on

botany
botany Posts: 68
edited November 2002 in Speakers
Hello, First I would think you all would need to know what I have before asking a question on adding to a system.

Harman/Kardon AVR 520 Receiver
Harman/Kardon PA 4000 Amplifier
Polk RM 7600 Speakers
Polk PSW 650 Subwoofer

I also have 6 Bose speakers throughout the house.

I have the Polk RM7600 and the 650 woofer in my main living room. I would like to add another two speakers to this group for surround satellites to get a 7.1
I am looking at the Polk LSi FX, Polk FXi50, Polk FXi30. Whice one of these Polks would do the job.

What speaker would be best for what I am using?

Any feedback woud be appreciated
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2002
    Hmmm....I wouldn't be telling folks about those B**e cubes, if I were you. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• botany
    edited November 2002
    Yes.............. I know..........I got those when I first started with speakers. I didn't no better at the time, but I doooooo Nowwww
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited November 2002
    Yes, we all had humble beginnings. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    It's all good as long as you're not using the Bose as your reference system.

Since you have some nice sources(HK with the amp) have you considered upgrading to larger mains? If I were you, I'd get a pair of Rti70 and move your current mains to the rear for 7.1.

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck

Maurice
  • botany
    edited November 2002
    Wow... I didn't think of that. Thanks for the information now I am looking at different speakers. The only problem I have in setting up the speakers. My TV is not in the center of the room. Its in the right hand conner, I have an eight foot wide fireplace in the cennter the TV is next to that (to the right). then their is a five foot walk way into the dinning room. On the left side their is a eight foot walk way leading to the entry foyer to the house.
    I know most likly not making any sense. the room is 24 feet wide, 20 feet deep, and 16 feet high.
    thanks again for all the help,
    Botany (Kris)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    Good call organ! For the price of the FX which would be under utilized you can get some nicer fronts. Not that Botany's are bad, but if there's money burning a whole, ......!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • botany
    edited November 2002
    Hello, its me Botany. I just ordered my new Polk RTi70 Cherry speakers from Crutchfield.com
    Get this not only am I getting some great speakers for my 7.1 system, but I am getting a FREE PSW202 Subwoofer. Add this to my PSW 650 I am going to "Rock this joint" Know should I stack them? How should I wire them?

Thanks Organ for helping me on this decision and also Gidrah for furthering my choice in my new fronts.

Kris
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2002
    Congrats on the new purchase botany! I'm sure you'll really enjoy the RTi70. I have the RT800i(replaced by the 70) and I really enjoy them especially for home theater. Mantis demoed them(RTi70) a while back and was very impressed with them.

Now here's what you can try doing with the new sub and your PSW650. Try placing the 202 on top of the 650. Run seperate cables from your speaker outputs to the 202's input and set your crossover where they blend in with the RTi70. Then run another set of speaker cables from the 202's output to the 650's input and set the crossover on the 650 to minimum(40hz). The 650 should pick up where the 202 left off in the bass. This means your 202 will handle mid-upper bass and the 650 will handle all the very low stuff(40hz and below). This set up should increase your sub's efficiency and dynamic range. Be sure to select your subwoofer as "NO" or "OFF" on the receiver if you're going to try this set up. You should also try different set ups and connections because your room usually determines how well the subs are going to sound. Also, try running them both with the LFE out as well using a Y-spliter. Let your ears be the final judge.

Maurice

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    This thread slipped past me, otherwise I would have "Right on, organ!" I got the same sorta setup here. I bought the RM7600 with PSW650, then about 6 months later I replaced the fronts with the RTi70's. I'm still only doing 5.1, since I'm limited by my current receiver and the fact that I'm in a relatively small apartment. I think you'll really enjoy the new system, botany!
  • botany
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Fireshoes, I cannot wait for the RTi70 to come and set this system up. I am also getting an extra sub PSW202 + PSW650 I have; man, life just does not get any better.

Botany
  • botany
    edited November 2002
    OK...
    Here goes a question about the RTi70's Should I Bi-wire or Bi-amp them. Please I don't know the differences between the two and I need your opinion on this. I have done a search on this and it turned out to be a pissing contest. So the question is, is it a good idea to do? Also is it just two different sets of wire to the speaker and only using one connection on the receiver or does one set go to the receiver and one set to the amplifier.

Thanks for your help.

Botany