A blast from the past! What blew your mind?

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
FP825-EB126348873-B.jpg

Believe it or not this phonograph was the first piece of gear on which I listened to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon for the first time! I was 5! This player was meant for me to listen to Sesame Street Sing Alongs, but somehow I managed to find my Dad's old LPs while in the attic and well the rest is history . . .

I was rockin' out hard in true mono glory! Back then, there was nothing better than a system that could be packed up and carted around the house like a briefcase!
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    OMG. I so had one of these! I am old!:eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Nothing like playing DSOTM for a 5 year old....kinda like taking your 11 year old to see Andy Warhol's Frankenstein.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • SolidSqual
    edited January 2008
    I just called my mom and she still has it! I might have to bring it to a Polk Fest when I get around to attending one.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    I had one as well.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2008
    Never had one. I owned a couple portable radios when I was a little kid, then my first "hi-hi" experience was an old Panasonic receiver and a couple of no-name speakers from a church sale.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    When I was five, I listened to Karen Carpenter on one of those.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    My little sister and I had one. Thriller got played a lot on that thing!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    That was my first experience with anything that played music, I think I was 5 as well. Juice Newton, The Chipmunks, and Kiss were in constant rotation. Good find, Solid Squal!

I ended up re-wiring the tonearm and replacing the stylus with a piece of dried macaroni frrom art class. Really opened up the soundstage.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited January 2008
    while listening to dsotm,the smell of fresh baked cookies filled the air
    from his Easy Bake Oven........soon after.....Barbie and Ken joined in.....:).
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2008
    I remember listening to DSOTM in my mono record player while watching Somewhere over the Rainbow. Who else thought Dorothy was hot???
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    I used to jam "Puff the magic dragon" on one of those....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited January 2008
    Hell yes. I remember listening to Rhinestone Cowboy as a kid on one of those. My friend loooooved that song and would play it over and over and over and over.....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Kind of unrelated, but nostalgic vinyl - I remember me and my cousin, when we visited my grandmother, used to hang out in her basement, which was finished and had one of those huge console sound systems with a turntable built in. We used to listen to what I can only assume were our parents' old Beatles vinyl. I most specifically remember Let It Be (the song), because it was on a translucent green 45. To an 8-year old that was awesome.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    I had one of those fisher price things, it was my uncles. Only the cool kids had one of those.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    I got one of those! I also found my record collection too! Everything from the Teddy Bears Have a Picnic to Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem!

Yeah, I remember listening to DSOTM too. Plus my dad dropped The Beatles "The White Album" and "Sgt. Pepper's..." on it for us. Had lots of Motown too. That little record player rocked! You could change the speed real easy too. If you got bored, you just jacked that baby up to 72 and all of a sudden you had Alvin and The Chipmunks sing Pink Floyd or The Beatles!

Hours of fun! Hours!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Marcas
    Marcas Posts: 6
    edited January 2008
    Wish I could say I listened to something cool on mine. From memory, it was mostly Elvis. I thought I was cool when I moved up to Shawn Cassidy. Aaaaahhhhhhhh.
  • SolidSqual
    edited January 2008
    Speed control? I thought Mom had purchased the table with the optional Chipmunks feature . . .
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    For my 9th birthday (I think) I got sony walkman from my parents. My cousins gave me vanilla ice and MC Hammer. A few years later, I think I got my first portable CD player and Stone Temple Pilots Core. I wore that CD out.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited January 2008
    My first venture into "hi-fi":

330j.jpg

Panasonic SG-330, powered by 6 "D" cell batteries. Many hours of Alice Cooper's "School's Out", Deep Purple's "Machine Head", and "Led Zep IV" :D
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • SolidSqual
    edited January 2008
    Wow, makes the fisher price look like yesterday's news.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    I was too old for one of those. My sisters had one though. Dad's stuff in the den sounded better, but my a$$ was stinging every time I touched his stuff.....LOL
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing