Stone Siding

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Anybody ever put this stuff up before?

I'm just starting the search for this, and not sure it I will buy this year or next, but have about 800SF I will be installing (Hopefully) on the outside of my house... there currently is fugly wood shake shingles on the front, and it's terrible! The bottom half of the front of the house is brick, so didn't know how this would work/look on the top half... All other sides of the house are a gray siding, but the siding will never touch the brick/stone. Also planning on building a deck with two stone pillars as the center piece of it on the front of the house.

Thanks for the input. I was planning on originally installing real stone, but don't have a ton of experience with it, so thought maybe the faux stuff would work better!
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    Do you have a pic of your house? The stone might look weird with brick, but it's hard to know without a visual.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    Don't have a pic handy... I'll have to snap one tomorrow. I've got a pretty good eye for design, so I'm not worried about finding a match really... I know if you get the color's right, a brick then stone on top won't look bad at all...

Maybe I will just paint the ugly wood stuff if I can't find a good match :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,446
    edited January 2008
    Painted brick with stone doesn't look too bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    I love a man that can admit he has an eye for design.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,211
    edited January 2008
    I just used a dry stack style to reface the fireplace in our living room. Easy to cut and you just use type n mortar to hold it to the wall. I only did 25 square feet so you have a lot more work to do. Good luck.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    I've never seen stone on top of brick like that though......as a base, yes......but not as the top half.

If you have some pics of that config I'd be interested in checking those out........

Also, the few places I've seen that stuff up close, I can always see through the cracks and see the wire mesh (mostly covered, but some always seems to peek through).
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited January 2008
    Stone over brick does sound a little weird. I think the problem you may run into is that the stone will "look" heavier than the brick, so it may give a strange appearance. I also didn't like the pictures of the entire wall being done in stone (but that's just personal taste). A picture of your house would help.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • daniel_paul_
    daniel_paul_ Posts: 189
    edited January 2008
    You most likely can not use real stone. Real stone is at least 4" thick and needs to be supported at the base.

Mixing the stone and the brick will look bad. There is brick veneer that is applied to the wall like the fake stone. You may be able to match the existing brick. You should call around to stone supply yards to see what companies are available.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    For resale: Some buyers don't like siding, some don't like brick, some don't like stone. Most won't want all three. ScrapHouse4.jpg
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    Was out sick yesterday... I'll throw up a few pics of the house. Just installed new windows last summer, haven't touched the shutters or landscaping yet... still finishing the inside!!!

8fz0hhd.jpg
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    868rs6o.jpg
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    6py7psj.jpg
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    As you can see, the wood shake is just atrocious! I have thought about painting it, but don't know. If I find a stone faux that looks good, I will be putting it where the shake is now...and also in the two square frames on the front of the house... and side and around door. New shutters of course, new front door will be coming and the front porch will come out about 8 feet and have two stone pillars and then tier down with steps on all sides.

At least that's what my design idea's are. Just don't know if I will find a stone that looks good or is even worth it. The house is in a great neighborhood, 10 mins from Downtown, 10 mins from the plaza, 10 mins from the best shopping and food... so the resale when complete shouldn't be an issue!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    The latest issue of Journal of Light Construction has an article about installing faux stone siding.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    The latest issue of Journal of Light Construction has an article about installing faux stone siding.

Is this an online journal? Or have to be bought?

Thanks!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    They have a website, but I subscribe to the magazine. If you pm me your addy I will send you a copy of the article.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    Looks like you already have vinyl on two sides. I would just match that.

Who sided the house like that anyways? Can't imagine wht they left the shake on two sides, especially with such a small area to finish the job.
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Looks like you already have vinyl on two sides. I would just match that.

Who sided the house like that anyways? Can't imagine wht they left the shake on two sides, especially with such a small area to finish the job.

It's actually a metal siding... (better I was told) and it's on all other sides of the house, except the front. I guess they were going for a "Fancy" look up front with the wood shake and brick. I hate it! :D

I think that the siding on top of the brick might look just as bad though, so not sure if I'll go that route or not. Good idea though! Thanks!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2008
    I'd lose the shakes and either brick the rest, side the rest or lose the brick as well and side it all. The latter would be my choice ... A third material ( like what's there now ) regardless of what it is, is tough to deal with visually. Also ... What's up with the apparently bricked in windows in the left front ? ( Another reason to lose not only the shakes but the brick as well )
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    I'd brick the whole thing with the same brick. It will look good, low maintenance, last a long time, and increase the value of the home. Existing brick should be easy to match.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008
    I didn't think about bricking the rest of the front... might not look too bad. And I could do two brick pillars instead of stone, and therefore reduce the number of siding options. I like it!

Regarding the window's, I can't tell if they were designed that way, or if somebody boarded them up. The inside of the garage is finished, so hard to say. I never thought they distracted from the house. Maybe when I finish the landscaping, I'll get some modern flower boxes or something and hang them on the two... that might not look bad.

Or, I could bust them open and install two new windows!!! So many options!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    That style, I would also brick the rest. There is too much going on as it is. The wood was added to try to appeal to everybody and add some warmth. It was also an attempt to make the house look taller. To add some warmth back after going all brick, I'd use wood to extend the front entry out a bit to make a small portico. It seems that you really want to use some stone, so you could get creative in the front yard by removing that small tree and adding a stone fountain or walk from the drive. Cool house, I really like that roofline, and plan, but there is the potential to make tax free money by doing some work.

Something with a bit more detail than this, would be a nice match.portico_and_walkway.jpg
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited January 2008
    All brick would be my first choice, but I doubt you will be able to find a good color match. I have seen quite a few brick patches, and it normally takes many years for the colors to blend. You might also consider HardiPlank to replace all the siding. It is a cement board molded to look like wood siding. Eventually we will remove the vynal siding from our house and either brick it (already brick bottom, siding up stairs) or use the hardiplank up stairs.