iPod Tube Amp Thingy & RTA12C's!

BottomFeeder
BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Whoooo doggies!

Hooked the amp up to my RTA12C's & I'm very impressed! Just couldn't imagine that an iPod could sound this good! Stunning! No, of course not as good as a cdp, but waaaaaaay better than I expected. For non critical listening, it's killer!

I'm also running my NAD cdp through the amp & it sounds really good too. On my next day off I'm going to do a comparison w/the tube amp and my NAD integrated. Will post findings.
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
Post edited by BottomFeeder on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    I had mine hooked up for a bit. Sounded good, but I couldn't get the video out to show up on my tv. Must be doing something wrong. Still need to hook up the integrated to some speakers.

I think once I get a new house, I'll try to put my Kef Q60s with the itube in the garage or something.

Let me know if there are any tricks to getting the video to work. I'm using AV but might try S-video if I can find one laying around.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • BottomFeeder
    edited January 2008
    I haven't tried the video, so no clue there.

Weird thing though, while I was reaching the ipod to choose another song, the volume inexplicably went quickly down, maybe about 50% down. I played a cd & there was no problem there - volume much higher than the ipod.

So I checked the volume on the ipod & it was cranked nearly all the way! But now my ipod plays at a much lower volume level than the cdp. Any ideas out there???

Thanks.

P.S. Lasareath: I'll be interested to see if your findings about the quality of sound are similar to mine when you hook your 10's up.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    I have just the amp hooked up to my custom monitor's with the Morel tweeters, and the thing can drive them to a point where they are louder than is comfortable for long term listening.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BottomFeeder
    edited January 2008
    Er, maybe nevermind?

For reasons unknown to me, the volume problems seems to have corrected itself. If anyone knows what might've caused it, please let me know so that I can correct it myself next time. Listening to Joan Baez's Diamonds & Rust right now - wow - still amazed at how good an ipod can sound.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2008
    I guess I'll load a movie onto my ipod and see if that works. For some reason, I was hoping it would have an osd or something to show the songs and such, but that would be hoping for a lot from this.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • BottomFeeder
    edited January 2008
    Hey, since I'm a complete newbie to tubes, I've got a couple of questions.

1. Do tubes need to be warmed up before playing music?
    2. Do you turn the amp off after using it or leave it on?
    3. How often, if at all, do tubes need to be replaced?

Any other tips for a tube clueless guy?