Light Bulbs Banned!

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
There are people in the world right now who want to ban incandescent light bulbs. That would make things interesting, not to mention all the mercury in fluorescents.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249141,00.html
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    Do yourself a favor and try one of the "spiral bulbs" they work great, and I believe they have a 5 year life...could be wrong on that detail. In the long run they are cheaper, brighter, and last longer. I use them on my outdoor lights right now, but I'm slowly replacing the indoor ones as well--- for both cheaper electric bills AND less digging the ladder out of the garage...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    which spiral bulbs are you referring to? I've tried those bulbs and my main issue is they've never just been bright enough...
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    I have been slowly replacing my bulbs with the new spiral ones as time goes by.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    which spiral bulbs are you referring to? I've tried those bulbs and my main issue is they've never just been bright enough...

The ones at Wally world--GE I think?? I'm not sure. The one on my front porch seems to be a bit brighter than the standard one I had, but I can't recall which wattage-equivalant I bought.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    I've changed out most of mine, except for the ones on dimmer switches and the ones in our bathroom. When the bathroom lights start burning out, I'll change those too. I think they are great. 14 watts for an equivalent 60 watt light output. If you have multiple light fixtures (like on ceiling fans), it really adds up. 4x60watts versus 4x14 watts. That's 240watts versus 56watts. Really adds up through a year of use.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Here's an equivalency chart: http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/Spiral

This website shows a 10,000 hour life on the bulbs.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »

That's cool. I didn't know they had 3-ways out now. If you go up one link, it has other shapes too like globes, floods, and others.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    I had a hard time fitting the spiral lights into existing fixtures (too big). I'm sure they have and will come out with smaller physical size bulbs, buts its frustrating trying to find bulbs that fit. As a general rule, if they want the things to take off, they should make them the same size as or smaller than a regular ol' light bulb.

I use them where I can.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Yup, the "spirally" ones (compact fluorescents) are fantastic. The only problems have already been mentioned here - you can't use them on dimmer switches, and they do have mercury in them so disposal is a concern if you care about not killing your children.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    Also, bulbs that I bought had a warning that they should only be used in the upright position. I puts some in my back porchlight placed horizontally and after a year they have lost at least 50% of their brightness, I'm assuming because I didn't heed the warning. But I'm not going to change my lighting fixtures just to change the bulb.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    If you watch for HD seasons change they will clear out heir spiral bulbs. Usually they'll get down to $3.97 for a 4 pack, and those are the smaller ones that WILL fit where a regular bulb fits.

As for using them in the bathrooms, I use them exclusively because the big globe bulbs put out a lot of heat, whereas the fluorescent ones put out zero heat.

Not all spirals are created equal either. Some of the "60w" bulbs will be anywhere from 13-19w depending on the spiral manufacturer. If you want it brighter, look for the higest one you can find. They aren't bright at first, but after a minute or two, they are usually brighter than you're typical bulb (unless you're used to running 100w bulbs).
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    Lame. More stupid **** regulations that will end up have some other goofy unitended consequences far worse than anything we're trying to solve. Our kids will probably start developing beaks or something. :rolleyes:

I have tried the spiral bulbs and I can't stand them. I like my old normal bulbs just fine.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    HAha, for some reason "our kids will develop beaks" just cracked me up.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited January 2008
    The lifespan talked about of CFL bulbs is more about the technology than the actual bulbs. As the price has gone down over the years and production has gone up, the quality of all the ancillary equipment used in the bulb package (ballast, starter, etc) has gone way down. Lots of bottom-barrel Chinese stuff. The bulb assemblies sometimes fail in short order even though the tube is good.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    When will these be available for DLP's? :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    When will these be available for DLP's? :D

They've already got much better technology for DLP's - LED lighting.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    I just bought a bunch of these spiral bulbs but the lights we use the most are all recessed cans on dimmers and they don't work there. I just replace the lamps that my wife usually turns on at some point in the day and never turns off. I wish( I have not done any research ) that a energy efficient dimable bulb was available.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    THere are dimmable bulbs............can't look for the link right now though.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Apparently they make compact fluorescents specifically designed to be used with dimmers.

click here.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    They've already got much better technology for DLP's - LED lighting.
    I heard they can be problematic.

To add to the topic, I've been using these bulbs throughout my house for the last few years. I believe I noticed at $10-15 monthly savings.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    All the bulbs in my house are CFLs. Love 'em, though don't use the cheaper ones. Not only are they not as bright or reliable, they sometimes have a hesitation when turning on. I have a ceiling fan with 3 CFLs in it. One is a cheaper brand than the other two. It takes about a second to turn on, whereas the others turn on instantly.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Don't you just love it when a politician says, "Assemblyman Lloyd Levine says compact fluorescent light bulbs, which often have a spiral shape and are being promoted by Wal-Mart, are so efficient that consumers should be forced to use them."
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Apparently they make compact fluorescents specifically designed to be used with dimmers.

click here.

Thanks you.

I will look for some.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    I found out from a local trash guy that people are throwing out the old fluorescent bulbs and that the EPA is now concerned about the mercury leeching into the soil and causing problems.

This one may also be an urban legend but I am hearing more and more the same story. Someone dropped a fluorescent bulb, spilling mercury on the floor and had to call the HAZMAT guys to come clean it up. If that's true, that's one hell of a drag.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    I use CFL bulbs for everything, and noticed a savings too. The only problem I have with them is that some are manufactured so poorly they don't even last a month. But it's a matter of luck, as I've had bulbs from the SAME batch last 8+ years, and others last only 3 months.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    Im with the guys that think this is just stupid. Sure they have energy savings and all that but the very idea that the "government knows whats best for us" is infuriating, scary and just downright wrong! Its like they say, liberty dies from a thousand tiny cuts.

People get all riled up over this global warming hoax and since we common townsfolk arent smart enough to figure it out, the imperial federal government is going to take care of us whether we like it or not.

I know this is a pretty small thing, but you put enough small things together and they add up. 60 years ago, the income tax was only 1%. And as Demi mentioned, Im sure there will be all kinds of unintended consequences in the future that will require further, more drastic action. But maybe by then the global temperatures will be in another cyclical downswing and all the nutjobs will back on the global cooling scam like in the 70's and theyll outlaw energy saver lightbulbs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2008
    Dependent of how active is your local power company at promoting CFL bulbs, one can pick up these bulbs at super-inexpensive prices. My local power company, Pacific Gas & Electric, is subsidizing CFL bulbs to be sold at $0.99/each. As mentioned earlier, Walmart is also promoting the use of these bulbs....I picked up a bunch of GE CFL flood bulbs @ $2.00/each while I was in San Diego.

I would said about 90% of the bulbs at my house is CFL type.

California is aimming to ban the regular light bulb by 2012.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Im with the guys that think this is just stupid. Sure they have energy savings and all that but the very idea that the "government knows whats best for us" is infuriating, scary and just downright wrong! Its like they say, liberty dies from a thousand tiny cuts.

People get all riled up over this global warming hoax and since we common townsfolk arent smart enough to figure it out, the imperial federal government is going to take care of us whether we like it or not.

Despite being a fan of CF light bulbs, I'd like to point out that I completely agree with this sentiment.

Just remember, there's no scarier phrase than "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »

People get all riled up over this global warming hoax and since we common townsfolk arent smart enough to figure it out, the imperial Liberal Democrats is going to take care of us whether we like it or not because we are too stupid to run our own lives.

There, I fixed it for you!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2008
    I thought Bush already signed this into law, along with the new strict fuel guidelines.

I hate the color spiral bulbs put out, and I intend to have a garage full of incandecents when the law goes into effect.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.