Karma time: Blu-ray owners with kids

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
As the title states, this is for blu-ray owners who also happen to have kids (or for those that have a blu-ray player and enjoy children's movies.........which I'm not going judge one way or the other.)

Up for grabs is the academy award winning:

HAPPY FEET.

That's right, get all the tapdancing penguin goodness you can stand in a 108 minute "animated instant-classic", all in the beauty of blu-ray.

This has never been opened, and is itching for a good home.

Requirements.
1.) State that you are in.

2.) Throw some good recommendations/opinions my way in regards to finding a 5ch 150-200wpc amplifier that isn't going to break the bank (somewhere in the price range of 3-700$ maybe?) I can't pull the trigger till Feb., but it would be nice to have some good ideas flowing in now. Brands, do's or don'ts (as in there's no point in going 150 when 200wpc isn't much more), anything that might help me complete the 1st phase of my HT buildout (it is about 80% HT and 20% music.)

Current setup:

Denon 2307ci-receiver
Rti-10's- fronts
fxi-3's- soon to be rears
mirage omni 8 sub

Thanks and happy karma'ing. I'll pull the plug on this Karma Friday morning at 9AM ET so I can ship this and Lightman Russ's long overdue pipe out at the same time.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited January 2008
    Well, hailing from Idaho, I guess I will be first to hop into this Karma today!

A good, solid recommendation is the Emotiva IPS-1 7x125 @8ohms amp. If you are waiting until February, I think they have a 5x300 hitting the streets in february or march, selling for $700! Not too shabby!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2008
    For KIDS? Heck, I LOVE animated movies. Cool karma. IN!

There is a large variety of amps to choose from. I don't suggest buying new considering the law of diminishing returns. Ebay, audiogon, and local dealers will have used, consignment, and demo gear for discounted (read: normal affordable) prices. Adcom, NAD, and Parasound, Outlaw could be found easily within your price range. At the top end of your budget or a little more you can get Rotel, B&K, and higher end amps from the previously mentioned brands.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2008
    NY State resident here. I recommend Emotiva or Outlaw audio. Both are
    Internet companies. Cheap prices. High quality gear.
    In Please, Thank You.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited January 2008
    "Happy Feet" is killer on Blu-Ray, nice kharma.

NOT in, (already have it), but just to clarify:

You are talking about an amp, not a new receiver, right ?

Just checking to make sure you get recommendations for what you're looking for.
    Sal Palooza
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited January 2008

+1 on this, nice Karma and a great title on Blu though I have it. NOT in but recommending used or Bstock Outlaw M2200s
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    NOT IN ...already have Blu-Ray...it is a great flick :D

There is this scene in the movie where the penguins mimick sex poses...caused quite a stir ...I thought they were full of crap...so I threw the blu-ray back in and forwarded to the scene...sure enough the animators put in a few sexual poses ( Doggie...missionary...69 ) http://nerdnirvana.org/2007/03/01/hidden-sex-scenes-on-the-happy-feet-dvd/

I wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt had seen it on my own blu-ray...they are obvious and blatent when you know they are coming ( No pun inteded ) :D
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • jflail2
    edited January 2008

Yes indeed, an amp. The denon has preamp outs, so I'd like to take advantage of adding an amp, and hearing my 10's to their full potential.

I am about ready to change the original post to "only watched once" after all these good comments :)

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    I'm in, we could use some HD kids movies at the house. Very nice movie, we went to see it in the theaters and everyone loved it.

While it's not 150wpc, it's a great deal at the used market and powers my LSi15's without a problem, I'd check out B&K AV5000. Power for RTi10's would not be a problem and while it's not quite as good as the Aragon I have (it's close), it's a lot better than the few Rotel's and Adcom's I've owned. 5ch, 120wpc, and goes for $300-400 I believe. Can't really go wrong with B&K sound, and it's a little warm in nature so IMO a good match for bright RTi's.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    1. In

2. eBay

How's that, helpful :)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I am about ready to change the original post to "only watched once" after all these good comments :)

Haha :D Re-sealed with scotch tape.....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2008
    better hurry as your fxi-3's are en-route!
  • jflail2
    edited January 2008
    Ron= not helpful. But you're still in the drawing :)

Much obliged Bruss! I am dying to get them hooked up.

Keep the recommendations/advice flowing in.

• jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited January 2008
    In please.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?ampsmult&1204508486

This should do the job for you. Buy used more bang for your buck.

Jim
  • jflail2
    edited January 2008
    Thanks to the magical powers of randbetween in excel, we have a winner.

Congrats to sbpolk; just send on your mailing address and I'll get this out today.

• sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited January 2008
    WOO HOO! I was just complaining in the Karma losers thread about never winning anything! And then lo-and behold THIS! ;) I kinda had a feeling about this one though.... I never have those feelings when real expensive gear is being given away. I wonder why? Haha, stoked about the blu-ray! Thanks!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell