Are dreams "virtual reality" threat simulation?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=pto-20071029-000003&print=1

This is a very interesting article. I'm not saying it's right just some food for thought. Out of all the dream theories I've heard, this one makes sense. Kinda makes Freud look like a crackpot too.

Anyway, the article gets kind thick near the end but if you read the first few paragraphs down to "A Season In Hell", you'll get the gist of the article.

Cool stuff. Science rules! 'Splainin' the un'splainable for decades!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Apperantly my defense mechanism is to just do a hot chick... I wonder if that would stand up in court...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    The page won't load correctly for me. The right margin is cutting off the words and sentances.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    //\\ Joe just dream about it tonight. :D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=pto-20071029-000003&print=1

This is a very interesting article. I'm not saying it's right just some food for thought. Out of all the dream theories I've heard, this one makes sense. Kinda makes Freud look like a crackpot too.

Ther'es not much in this world that DOESN'T make Freud look like a crackpot :)

Really cool article though, thanks!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    It would be tough to advance this virtual reality argument because the problem with dreams is no one knows how to interpret them. We all know from experience that dreams can be really weird, so you often can't take them literally. And even if all dreams conformed to reality, it doesn't mean they will manifest, nor does it mean we should draw any logical conclusions from them.

Moreover, we only recall a small portion of the dreams we actually have. It could be kinda like watching 5 minutes of a 2 hour movie, then trying to explain the entire movie.

But, of course, how can we know anything about our dreams if our faculties of logic are suspended during the time we're dreaming?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    I think this study is interesting because rather than trying to directly interpret each dream or even dreams as a whole based on their content, they're rather focusing on the effects of removing dreams and extrapolating a hypothesis from that.

Barring any sort of future technology that allows us to watch people's dreams in realtime, I think this is where any meaningful study about dream psychology is going to come from - studying the effects, not the content.
  • Early B.
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Barring any sort of future technology that allows us to watch people's dreams in realtime, I think this is where any meaningful study about dream psychology is going to come from - studying the effects, not the content.

The broad assumption here is that dreams have some sort of a physical effect. Another perspective is that dreams may be a means for your subconscious to communicate with the conscious part of you to inform you what thoughts and behaviors to correct.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    The broad assumption here is that dreams have some sort of a physical effect. Another perspective is that dreams may be a means for your subconscious to communicate with the conscious part of you to inform you what thoughts and behaviors to correct.

Sure, but studying for a physical effect would also show if there was no physical effect, wouldn't it?
  • Early B.
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Sure, but studying for a physical effect would also show if there was no physical effect, wouldn't it?

Correct. And that's precisely what the researchers are gonna find, but on humans, not rats. :p