Remember, we talked about this awhile back....

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
..watch out over-weight folk's, you might be the next tax windfall:

http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p69.htm

be careful who you target, you could be next---unless of course you are skinny, don't smoke, don't drink, have no physical activity that could be deemed as "dangerous", and don't own a motorcycle or ATV.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2008
    I'm suprised it's not more. I bet 75% of the population is diabetic in 10-15 years.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    These insurance companies will get us any way they can.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    I don't know Joe, it's kind of like car insurance. If a kid is 16 and has 3 speeding tickets he should pay more than a 35 yo with a clean record. Same thing here, if someone is a higher risk than they ought to pay higher premiums. If I way 400 lbs, smoke 3 packs a day and down it with a fifth of jack danials, well why wouldn't I pay more for insurance and health costs than a 160 lb runner that doesn't smoke or drink? Just my thoughts...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Exactly my point---divide and conquer. Anyone that believes this stuff is done for your health and well-being is living in a fools paradise. They're selling you fear, hype and propaganda, period. They create mountains out of mole hills and watch the idiots climb on board.........to their benefit, and your loss of freedom(s).

My question is, when are the over-weight going to be taxed extra on soda, snickers bars, and fast food? Hell I'm sin taxed out the **** for smoking....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    I've been waiting for this one.

I've made the argument that they'll come after fatties every time they try to restrict "risky" behavior under the guise that it is protecting us from ourselves (or even more dishonest, as this article says, alleviating the "tax burden" caused by those who are hospitalized due to risky behavior). First seat belts, helmet laws, smoking, and now eating. They've already banned transfats in some places, wait till they ban chocolate, or start rationing your junk food intake. Ban all non-sugar-free soda.

Brave New World indeed.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    NOT TO MENTION that they're basing all of this right now off of BMI, which is a total joke.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited January 2008
    Wait, are they making it illegal to pursue these activities or just making the participants offset their increased risk....

Ah yes, BMI.... Go tell any RB or LB in the NFL that they're obese...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I don't know Joe, it's kind of like car insurance. If a kid is 16 and has 3 speeding tickets he should pay more than a 35 yo with a clean record. Same thing here, if someone is a higher risk than they ought to pay higher premiums. If I way 400 lbs, smoke 3 packs a day and down it with a fifth of jack danials, well why wouldn't I pay more for insurance and health costs than a 160 lb runner that doesn't smoke or drink? Just my thoughts...

The problem is, where exactly are these perfect human beings by which we measure? And where do we draw the line on what is considered "healthy activity" and non-healthy activity---
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Uh, I just noticed that article was written in 2002....
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    When are Americans going to get it? We ALL do something that impacts one another. If we keep picking apart every goddamn thing, categorizing, taxing, and whatever; we all will pay in the end.

Live and let live for Christ sake.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the point of this post. Are you trying to make a point about the government overtaxing us, or about insurance companies not playing fair ... or what?
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    jwhitakr wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the point of this post. Are you trying to make a point about the government overtaxing us, or about insurance companies not playing fair ... or what?

Awhile back we had a heated discussion about smokers being sin-taxed to death, and many felt that was just fine...(non-smokers, of course). People love to bring up the "your costing me in health care money" argument, to which I say ****. If every cigarette on the planet was ejected into space tommorrow--your healthcare wouldn't drop a cent.

My point is, before you get all holyer-than-thou, you better think about issues that may affect your personal preferences, habits, or hobbies.

Long story, short.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    Audiophiles should have to pay more insurance for hearing tests and treatments.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    There you go, Madmax the voice of reason illustrates perfectly. Huahhhhh Chuck!
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Awhile back we had a heated discussion about smokers being sin-taxed to death, and many felt that was just fine...(non-smokers, of course). People love to bring up the "your costing me in health care money" argument, to which I say ****. If every cigarette on the planet was ejected into space tommorrow--your healthcare wouldn't drop a cent.

My point is, before you get all holyer-than-thou, you better think about issues that may affect your personal preferences, habits, or hobbies.

Long story, short.

Ahh, ok. That puts things into context. Thanks.

I also don't agree with the excessive taxes (or any taxes, really) on products like cigarettes, alcohol, etc. that people can choose whether or not they want to use. Government taxes should be used to pay for government services that we all use ... building roads, police and fire departments, elected government officials, etc.

When you bring in the cost of healthcare argument, you bring up a whole different set of issues and questions that, to me at least, don't relate to taxes. That's a whole different ball of wax ...
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Wait, are they making it illegal to pursue these activities or just making the participants offset their increased risk....

Ah yes, BMI.... Go tell any RB or LB in the NFL that they're obese...

BMI is a joke when applied to non athletes too.