A Whole New Appreciation....

2»

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Ok, let me a clarify a few things.

1. The sound didn't "ruin" my night.

2. I didn't leave because the music was awful.

3. I agree that it's kind of shameful to invite 20+ people to your house and crank music at absurd volumes through an ipod and logitech speakers like that.

4. Parties with all couples and one single person(myself) suck in general, this is part of why I left.

5. No Joe, I will not pull a one nighter with a friends girlfriend...as much as I would have loved to..that just doesn't work these days....Sorry. :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited January 2008
    OK, I will certainly not walk out of a party because someone's sound system is up to par with what is stacked in the rack at my abode. If they are playing it at reasonable levels, I will be more than happy with it. What bugs me and makes me actually reach for the volume knob and the tone controls is when someone turns a stereo up way too loud and I can just hear the speakers screaming in paint through the distortion. I will be the first one there turning the volume down to save the music!

If you want to have mood or background music, damn near anything will do. If you want your guests to "feel the beat" then please, get something that will pressurize teh room effectively. Your piddly little Logitech computer speakers just don't cut it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2008
    MP3s have their place... but 128k??? Yeesh! 256k is a bare minimum and 320 is preferable, converted using a decent encoder (LAME).
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I have those computer speakers. They work good, for computer games, and only considering they cost about $40. Compared to any real system, they are pretty crappy. Thats a shameful setup to pump tunes for a party.

Yeah, I have these speakers, too. For computer speakers, they sound pretty good, actually.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    You're right jstas, for mood music anything will do....this was feel the beat type stuff though.....just wasn't working. Not to mention it was all rap music too so that just added to the disaster.

I'm sure those speakers make great computer speakers...but please, for the sake of your guests never entertain with them. :D
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2008
    I would never play rap music for my friends. And I wouldn't ever play distorted music through any sound system. Fortunately, my ambient party music is piped through a pair of RTi6's which play plenty loud and distortion free. For a party, a reasonable sound system playing 128K mp3's will suffice. For just about anything else, fuguataboutit.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    No Kanye West or Fiddy Cent for you? :p
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Ok, let me a clarify a few things.

1. The sound didn't "ruin" my night.

2. I didn't leave because the music was awful.

3. I agree that it's kind of shameful to invite 20+ people to your house and crank music at absurd volumes through an ipod and logitech speakers like that.

4. Parties with all couples and one single person(myself) suck in general, this is part of why I left.

5. No Joe, I will not pull a one nighter with a friends girlfriend...as much as I would have loved to..that just doesn't work these days....Sorry. :D

I didn't actually say to do it now!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2008
    hehe, I actually am forced to listen to some of that since one of my kiddo's thinks he's an urban roller. I'm more old school rap though.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    Urban Roller....I used to be one of those.......then someone hit me off the head with some good music and I never made that mistake again.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    I went to a new years party that was almost as bad as Bagged's: no stereo at all! :(

They're pretty good friends of ours in a new house, so we got the house tour and I kid you not: there was not a single stereo, computer, floorstanding, Bose, or otherwise, in the entire house. It was kind of shocking.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    That sounds like a house not worth living in!