Video card help

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Our home computer is almost 4yo.

Last night I installed Cars Maternational for my son. It installed all right, but we have a black screen instead of the game's start screen.

I asked on a computer forum and was told our video card doesn't support DirectX 9.0c, which is what the game requires. Our current card is: Integrated NVIDIA GeForce4
MX gfraphics with 64MB
allocated to video memory

We want to buy a laptop soon, and I'd also like to replace this home computer with a newer one, so I don't want to spend a lot on this current machine. BUT, if I could spend a little and at least be able to run the kid's software, it would be worth it.

I'm assuming an updated driver won't help (I've not had a chance to try it yet). If that is true, that a new driver won't help, then...

Anyone have advice on a *decent* video card? Not greatest, not most expensive, just something that will get us by on this machine for newer kids games and software. What brands to look for, more importantly any brands to avoid.

I found one for under $30:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121019

Obviously there are some for a lot more. I'd like to stay under $50.

We have a Microcenter here in town.
http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?web_group=byopc_video

Thank you for any help!

Oh, do I have to worry about any compatibility issues given our computer is 4yo? This is what we have:

hp pavilion a520n 32 + (2.20 GHz) AMD Athalon XP processor

512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory

160 GB UltraDMA hard drive

DVD=RW/CD-RW

CD-ROM drive 48xmax speed

Integrated NVIDIA GeForce4 MX gfraphics with 64MB allocated to video memory
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2007
    Your $30 video card should do the trick, provided the rest of your computer is speedy enough to keep pace with what the game requires. Honestly, if your computer is 4 years old and has lasted so well, you might consider checking out microcenter's basic computers (in the vicinity of $300), get some more ram for it, buy a cheap video card, and post 4 years from now how your current video card doesn't support the games of tomorrow ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited December 2007
    Be careful! The video card you selected is NOT PCI but PCI-E (Express) so will not be compatible with a 4 year old computer. Look for a PCI or AGP (if your computer supports that card format) 4x/8X.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    If your pc is almost 4 years old, odds are it just has an AGP slot. The card you linked is a PCI-express, which is most likely incompatible with your pc.

Here's a link to AGP cards on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%201069609639&bop=And&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=100

One of the EVGA's around $50 might not be a bad choice for that price range.

You can also check a refurb site (such as ATI's) to find good deals on refurbed cards.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2007
    bigyank wrote: »
    Be careful! The video card you selected is NOT PCI but PCI-E (Express) so will not be compatible with a 4 year old computer. Look for a PCI or AGP (if your computer supports that card format) 4x/8X.

Yank

Great call.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • burdette
    edited December 2007
    Our current machine says the graphics card is "integrated"...

Am I going to be able to add a new card? I've worked with replacing HDs, zip drives, etc, but I've never added something like a new video card.

Am I even going to be able to put a new card in this machine if the current graphics are integrated and not on a separate stand alone card??

Thanks.
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited December 2007
    burdette wrote: »

A fine $30 card - much better than any 4-yr-old integrated; I have used the AGP version of it to help my father's older computer with current video-hungry programs. Be mindful of power requirements, too, as you may overload an aging power supply.

EDIT:
    burdette wrote: »
    Am I even going to be able to put a new card in this machine if the current graphics are integrated and not on a separate stand alone card??
    Most likely YES, but a picture or an exact model of the motherboard or your PC (if it was a factory built one) is the only way to tell for sure; there are 3 different interfaces to choose from...
  • jflail2
    edited December 2007
    You most likely still have an AGP slot specifically for a vid card, and if not you should at least have a PCI slot open. Do you know off hand which mobo you have?

edit:

And if you do install a separate card, you can disable the onboard video.

• burdette
    edited December 2007
    Thank you to everyone.

I think I'm going to run to Microcenter over lunch and try to find a card there.

I appreciate solid knowledgeable advice. One of the reasons I love the Polk forums!
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited December 2007
    Well, surprisingly the "HP a520n" was specific enough to bring up this document. According to HP, the board should be the ASUS A7N8V-LA and have an available 1.5V AGP 8x/4x slot.

EDIT:
    "And if you do install a separate card, you *SHOULD* disable the on-board video"
  • jflail2
    edited December 2007
    That would work. This card is a bit nicer, but it's also 15$ more.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
  • burdette
    edited December 2007
    Can't beat that.

I'll send you a PM with my current email address and we can make arrangements to hook up this week at your convenience.

Thanks!
  • scrapyd
    scrapyd Posts: 12
    edited December 2007
    yeah just get a stand alone graphics card!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Any guess what scrapy is gonna list in the flea market? :rolleyes:
  • jflail2
    edited January 2008
    ///\\\/\/\/\