RIAA finally went to far.

13»

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2008
    I believe the RIAA is moving forward on this to find out where the line stands for them as far as successful prosecution goes. They will, in all probability, lose the test case but they will find how far they can go. That's the big picture, as I see it.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Im too lazy to respond to everything but it all boils down to this. This is the crux of the entire argument, and my point is, where is this not happening??? Where do you see artists and creators of music NOT being paid bazillions of dollars? Flip thru magazines, watch MTV or Cribs or Unique Whips. Most of these guys are rappers or whatever that Ive never heard of and have only 1 or 2 hit songs yet theyre multi millionaires. There is compensation-a-plenty being shelled out here.

Now if youre talking about somebody downloading 10,000 songs to redistribute I can understand that being a problem. But somebody downloading a few for themselves I say thats just **** happening. There will always be some kind of music sharing going on. Back in 1984, my uncle gave me a cassette that he recorded Duran Duran's album Rio onto for me. I loved it and listened to in non stop and eventually bought the real thing and all their other stuff at the time. By the RIAA and your reckoning, me and my uncle shouldve been immediately sued! Music sharing is something that will always happen and I think its good for the music industry. I have no problem with the RIAA going after people with 100,000 songs downloaded illegally, but leave the 12 year old girls with 50 on their hard drive alone. And dont feel too sorry for the poor pitiful rapper or latest bubble bum pop girl living in her $14 million dollar house. Im sure she's getting by just fine on food stamps.

A M E N. and I'm not even religious.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited January 2008
    A M E N. and I'm not even religious.

So you two think it's OK to steal from these musicians, just because their rich?

Where do you draw the line? There's a guy up the road from me, he's loaded, has several Ferrari and Benz automobiles. He can only drive one at a time, and can easily afford to replace one. Maybe I should just steal one...
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    So you two think it's OK to steal from these musicians, just because their rich?

Where do you draw the line? There's a guy up the road from me, he's loaded, has several Ferrari and Benz automobiles. He can only drive one at a time, and can easily afford to replace one. Maybe I should just steal one...

Maybe you shouldn't draw ridiculously extreme parallels...
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2008
    polksda wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't draw ridiculously extreme parallels...

I'm not, just wondering where they draw the line. The way I was brought up, stealing something worth $1 is no different than stealing $1000. It's wrong, whether the victim is rich or not.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited January 2008
    First, I am in total agreement that the big file sharers need to be hit first. But, still, even one song shared for one day can get downloaded a hundred times easily. That means that the artist is still out of money from theft. To me it's no different than the kids who used to try and steal candy from my dad's pharmacy. It may have only been a quarter but it was still wrong. Luckily for the kids, my dad was a sharp guy, he gave the kid two choices, they could call home, or he'd call the police. Those calls would have been great on YouTube!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2008
    The real issue is when will they stop? Will stopping downloads make them happy?
    There was the case in England where mechanics were blasting
    music back in the shop. They were sued for public re-broadcast!
    I wish I could find the link. I have purchased so many albums over and
    over, it drives me crazy. Yes, I had some on 8-track! Then records,
    and then CD's, and now they are on my music server.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

Thats the stupidest thing Ive ever heard and in no way the same thing.

What we're talking about would be you going down to the Ferrari dealer and taking a picture of one, blowing it up and putting it up as a poster on your wall then having Ferrari sue you for $100,000.

Music isnt a solid object. You cant "steal" it like you can a CD or a bike. There are way too many instances where you can hear music you didnt pay for like mentioned in sucks2beme's post. That aint stealing and it takes an awful lot of contorting of copyright laws to make it illegal.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2008
    What we're talking about would be you going down to the Ferrari dealer and taking a picture of one, blowing it up and putting it up as a poster on your wall then having Ferrari sue you for $100,000.

No, that would be my poster, from a picture I took. Sounds like you would feel free to make copies and distribute them though, just like music.
    Music isnt a solid object. You cant "steal" it like you can a CD or a bike.

Justify it any way you want.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    I just don't get how the RIAA can be prosecuting individuals for ripping cd's to their hard drive for personal use. If it is their position that this is a crime, then they are an accessory to the crime.

Think about it - the RIAA struck a deal with Apple to sell music through the iTunes store. Well, there's only one way to purchase music from the iTunes store, and that's using the iTunes software. If they endorse the iTunes store, they endorse the iTunes software. Now all you iTunes users, open up iTunes, and then put a cd into your cd-rom drive. What's the first thing that happens? A message pops up asking if you would like to import the cd into your iTunes library.

So basically they're saying that it's illegal for you to use the very software that's basically been given to you to purchase music from them. If they weren't happy with the iTunes ability to do this, why didn't they object to Apple providing that functionality within iTunes?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited January 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The real issue is when will they stop? Will stopping downloads make them happy?

No. That's what this thread is (supposedly) all about: the RIAA has now made the leap from illegal downloads to contending that if you convert a CD that you have purchased to mp3 for your own personal use on your Ipod, that is illegal.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    na they wont mind if you do it as long as you pay for it........., I really think if they had there wishes they would like someone to pay everytime the song is played and it would be illegal (unless you pay) to play the song if anyone around can hear it.

Lets face it the RIAA is not friendly towards its consumers it just the path they have chosen.

RT1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    BINGO! They are delusional fools who are going to blow themselves out of the water with their own stupidity!

They need to get hit in their own pocketbook before they get a clue.

If it were possible, everyone in the US should just not purchase any music from anywhere for 6 months. They would get the message so damn fast their heads would spin.

I wonder why they haven't gone after shops that resell used cd's?

na they wont mind if you do it as long as you pay for it........., I really think if they had there wishes they would like someone to pay everytime the song is played and it would be illegal (unless you pay) to play the song if anyone around can hear it.

Lets face it the RIAA is not friendly towards its consumers it just the path they have chosen.

RT1
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I wonder why they haven't gone after shops that resell used cd's?

They don't need to, the states are doing that work for them.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    They don't need to, the states are doing that work for them.

I believe the states are doing that for stolen CD's, not because of the RIAA. They are the same requirements pawn shops have had for years in most states. CD's are a common theft item from vehicles.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Well, the states are doing it to make money, don't' delude yourself. They're doing it under the guise of protecting against theft.

But you're right, they're not doing it specifically for the RIAA, but the effect is the same regardless of intention, is it not?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2008
    That's just plain crazy!!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2008
    I agree, it actually appears the effect will be even worse. For the small amount paid for used CD's, I wouldn't bother selling them if that happens in my state, not worth the hassle.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2008
    Used cd's fly around day-in and day-out on Amazon as well.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.