Sleep Study

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anybody else ever have one of these done? It's a sleepover to test if you have sleep apnea or what not. I started out with four wires GLUED to the top of my head. Two more by my eyes,two on my cheeks(face not ****),one on my neck and two each on both legs. I also had a strap around my chest and one around my stomach.

All the wires are attached to one unit on the night stand. Then they say goodnight and we'll only come in if you yank a wire out. We'll also wake you at 5:00 A.M. and send you home. I already have enough fun trying to sleep.
How do you think I'll sleep when I'm hooked up like Frankenstein?

Very interesting night,still waiting on results.
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited December 2007
    my sister had about a year ago,she said it was not to bad.
    good luck!!
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    What is it actually testing for? Be neat if it could see what you were dreaming!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    They gave my wife a machine to take home 2 weeks ago. Hook yourself up at night and then take the machine back. If you fail, they automatically suspend your driver's license.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2007
    Do you snore? The reason that I ask is we perform them at our facility,there are typically two types of sleep apnea, central and obstructive,obstuctive being the most common,based upon the results,you physican may prescribe a positive pressure device called a CPAP unit,and will prescribe positive pressure settings,to which you attach the device via a nasal or face mask. In some cases,patients/physicans may opt for surgery. Keep us posted and let us know,if you don't mind. Also,if I can be of help,please pm me. Good luck--george
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I've always been fascinated by those studies, for the exact reason you mention - knowing that someone is monitoring my sleep would completely keep me from being ABLE to sleep. It's like watching a pot of water boil.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • daboyz
    edited December 2007
    Thanks, George!! Will do. I don't know if it's apnea or the leg movement syndrome(?) or what at this moment. Also, I forgot about the the nose probes that I had,too.

P.S. Yeah I snore but not always and at varying degrees
  • daboyz
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I've always been fascinated by those studies, for the exact reason you mention - knowing that someone is monitoring my sleep would completely keep me from being ABLE to sleep. It's like watching a pot of water boil.

Yeah, it was strange but when you're all hooked up you kinda forget that they're watching. I found that I was more worried about pulling out one of the wires.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Quit disturbing me. I'm sleeping.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    Anybody else ever have one of these done? It's a sleepover to test if you have sleep apnea or what not. I started out with four wires GLUED to the top of my head. Two more by my eyes,two on my cheeks(face not ****),one on my neck and two each on both legs. I also had a strap around my chest and one around my stomach.

All the wires are attached to one unit on the night stand. Then they say goodnight and we'll only come in if you yank a wire out. We'll also wake you at 5:00 A.M. and send you home. I already have enough fun trying to sleep.
    How do you think I'll sleep when I'm hooked up like Frankenstein?

Very interesting night,still waiting on results.

The four wires to your head is a basic EEG setup, to see/look at brain waves during sleep.

The ones on your eyes are to see if you are going into REM sleep.

The cheek I am assuming is near your nose/mouth to register air movement.

The ones on your legs is to see if you have restless leg syndrome.

The one on your neck is to register snoring.

And the ones on your chest is to view breathing patterns that all coincide with the EEG, Air, legs and snoring.

I am also assuming they put a probe on your finger to register oxygen saturations too.

I know all this because I used to perform them.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • daboyz
    edited December 2007
    Damn,forgot about the finger one,too. The cheeks were to check to see if you grind your teeth.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Yep I had it done four years ago. They determined that I stop breathing 13 times an hour. They gave me some contraption to where it looked like Ed Norton's head gear when he went down the sewer. I tried to get use to it but couldn't.

Many, many doctors say that this is all bunk.

I don't know if it is or not.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    It is the single best thing I have ever done in bed (while sleeping ;)). I was a snorer and could be in bed for 10 hours "sleeping" and get up the next morning exhausted. The test showed that I had severe sleep apnea and that I was barely going into a semi-conscious state during sleep, breathing was interupted several hundred times per hour and my oxygen intake was less that 60%. This was duing the first 3 hours of the sleep study. I was then hooked up to a CPAP machine and immediately dropped into deep REM sleep. That was about 5 years ago and have been using the CPAP machine every night ever since. It saved my life.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007

MANY MANY more say that it is good medicine. The specialization in sleep disorders is one of the fastest growing areas of medicine and sleep issues is one of the most undertreated ailment. It is not bunk.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007

Say what is all bunk? :confused: Sleep apnea? It's a pretty serious condition, if any doctor suggests it's bunk I'd find a new doctor.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • avelanchefan
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    It is the single best thing I have ever done in bed (while sleeping ;)). I was a snorer and could be in bed for 10 hours "sleeping" and get up the next morning exhausted. The test showed that I had severe sleep apnea and that I was barely going into a semi-conscious state during sleep, breathing was interupted several hundred times per hour and my oxygen intake was less that 60%. This was duing the first 3 hours of the sleep study. I was then hooked up to a CPAP machine and immediately dropped into deep REM sleep. That was about 5 years ago and have been using the CPAP machine every night ever since. It saved my life.

I have seen studies like your hundreds of times Shack. And you are correct to say that it did save your life. Sleep apnea is extremely hard on your heart, and can lead to heart attacks. Having your oxygen, levels in the 60's is extremely poor. Especially that during waking hours it runs around 95%, and we usually admit people into the hospitals that dip below 90% consistently.

I was watching Everest the other night (The one on Discovery channel) and some guys oxygen level was 60% at advanced camp one. That was considered normal for that altitude, and everyone was huffing and puffing.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • daboyz
    edited December 2007
    It's been a week and a half since my test and no word from the doc. Will be calling tomorrow.
  • avelanchefan
    edited December 2007
    One other thing I would recommend, and I have also personally seen this work. And please do not take offense, but weight gain is the number one contributor to Sleep apnea. So naturally weight lose is the really the cure to sleep apnea.

Cpap is a great fix for apnea, and how the hell could anyone go and exercise when they are exhausted from lack of proper sleep. But if your CPAP now makes you feel energized then it is time to lose some unwanted weight. Losing the weight will not always get rid of it, but it will sure help in the long run.

Of coarse this is coming out of the mouth of a 220 pound man that desperately needs to lose weight. But I have seen weight lose work wonders for sleep apnea.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited December 2007
    The ex- had sleep apnea, and left a "REMSTAR Pro".

It did seem to proved some relief; we've been trying to figure out how to turn it into an air compressor or fish tank aerator.
    ...or powered hookah.
    Sal Palooza
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    My brother-in-law went for that test a while back. I forgot all the specific details, but out of every hour he was not breathing for 32 minutes or more. Started using some contraption at night and he says it helps. I can't imagine how horrible I'd feel if I couldn't even breath for half the time I was asleep! :eek:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    MANY MANY more say that it is good medicine. The specialization in sleep disorders is one of the fastest growing areas of medicine and sleep issues is one of the most undertreated ailment. It is not bunk.

Amen. Sleep Apnea KILLS! Remember Reggie White??? He died in his sleep from sleep apnea as do thousands each year. Being overweight is part of it. When you stop breathing you put extra stress on your heart. That's what will kill you.

The machine works! My brother has one and says that he has never felt better. I stongly urge anyone with sleep apnea to get themselves on that machine ASAP. THIS MEANS YOU JOE!
    Carl

• cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2007
    +1 on the machine...family member has one too, and it works fantastic. imagine it might take some getting used to though.