Another Question on Amplifiers & Receivers

Options
botany
botany Posts: 68
edited November 2002 in Electronics
Hello, I am new to all this home theater systems. This is what I have, any answers or ideas I get thank you.

Speakers: Polk RM 7600 with PSW650
Receiver: Harman/Kardon AVR520

I am looking at buying Harman/Kardon PA4000 Bridgeable multichannel/multipurpose amplifer. Is this the way to go?

Thanks for your help in making up my mind

Kris
Post edited by botany on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I have the h/k 520 and was very happy with it; however, running full range speakers all around in a HT the 520 did not give me the power I was looking for and then I added an amp. I think your current settup is damn good and a seperate amp would be kinda overkill. When and if you decide to move from bookshelf to floor standing speakers I think a logical upgrade would be a seperate amp. If you are happy with the way your system sounds then I would suggest looking into sacd or dvd-a features as upgrades but I think you have more than enough power now from the 520.

Let us know what you come up with.
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • botany
    botany Posts: 68
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Hello HBombToo,
    thanks for your reply, I have done some talking and found out that (If its True) that the H/K 520 can only do 5.1 channels and I want 7.1 and also to run other speakers to other parts of the house. Would This H/K PA 4000 do what I want.
    In my main room I have a left and right speaker and a center speaker, with the subwoofer. In the rear of the room I have a left and right speakers also (surround). I want to add another two rear speakers (total of 4 surround channel's)to give me a 7.1 system

Botany (Kris)
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Options
    The h/k 520 has the ability to process 7.1 using the onboard Logic 7 Cinema processor; furthermore, the h/k 520 has the DTS ES processors and when the speakers are configured 6.1/7.1 the h/k will automatically see the format and apply the appropriate processor. This info can be found in the owners manual on page 26.

As far as the PA 4000 is concerned, I considered its purchase and and was impressed but passed because it did not provide the power I wanted. I opted for and purchased the Outlaw 770 which is a 7 channel 200 Wrms per channel amp. The 4000 may suit your needs and I'm sure is a high quality amp if you decide to go that route.

I have configured my system for both 6.1 and 7.1 and was very impressed and pleased but I could not leave it that way because the wife acceptance factor and is back in a 5.1 configuration.

Hope this helps

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***