High Performance Diesel

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am looking at upgraded my 2000 F250. Currently, I am getting Diesel Power mag and I see all the trucks that have been uber modded and I am starting to get the bug. Running the 7.3L, I like the engine and I'm getting decent fuel mileage; average 16mpg. I currently have an AEM dryflow intake, 5" exhaust, and a computer tuner as far as power mods go. I have lots of other mods too, but that is probably noticable. At max power, I think I am pumping out 350hp and 700 ft/lbs tq. In the future I am looking at upgrading the turbo since the tuner is creating some surge, intercooler and tubing, high-performance trans, injectors, fuel pump, head studs, etc. My final goal is about 800hp and 1500 ft/lbs tq. Does any one else have a high performance diesel and where are you at?

n42900478_30935654_2044.jpg
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Our truck has a lag-reducing system on the turbo that causes it to kick in hard about halfway through first gear. The previous owner put it on so I have no idea how it works. The truck is an '89 dodge 250 with a cummins turbo diesel in line 6. It also has an intercooler. Transmission is a 3 speed with a top speed of about 85 mph. Towing 6000 lbs the top speed is .... 83 mph :D No idea what the power or torque is but it does not struggle to tow our powerboat with a bed full of stuff.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    I've got a stock Chevy Duramax with a 6-speed manual.
    I think it has 300HP and 550 Ft-Lbs Torque.
    I routinely get 24 MPG with 80% highway driving.

I've heard/read that chipping the Diesel will just cut down its longevity.
    The Duramax has a design life of 250K miles before 1st overhaul.
    Also, the warranty on the engine is 100K and that is voided if the engine is chipped.

So, I'll just be happy with my 24MPG in stock form.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited December 2007
    That's a nice ride Zingo! I have a cracker jack diesel...

01 Jetta with 90HP and 150ft/lbs tq.

It can barely tow me. The fuel pump on your truck has more power than my engine:D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I love those big power deisel trucks. There is a group of guys around here that did the Project X truck (Dannie Richie knows them and told me about it).

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0707dp_2003_dodge_ram_project_x/index.html

They set the record in the Texas standing mile. 830+hp on a 5.9 Cummings, The Project X Truck established the Diesel Truck records with and without Power Adders: 150.322 MPH without NOS: 161.007 with NOS. Then they drove the truck home to the DFW area.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zingo
    edited December 2007
    I saw a Cummins 5.9 that was 1000hp and 2000 ft/lbs tq, and 20mpg. That's why diesel is just awesome.
  • Defiant
    Defiant Posts: 27
    edited December 2007
    2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7 liter CTD (Cummins Turbo Diesel) 6 speed automatic Larime package. Just got it and Im in the same boat getting ready to mod the hell out of it. Stock Im getting 350 HP 650 torque and 19 mpg highway @ 70 mph. Still doing the research on everything. You've got a very nice truck.
  • station10fd
    station10fd Posts: 45
    edited December 2007
    Very nice looking ford! My first diesel was a 99 powerstroke. I've always thought ford has the best looking pickups. My current is a 2005 duramax, adorned with 4 inch straight piped duals, juice with attitude, pulling a 2003 arctic fox 5er. It's scary what diesels will do these days. Nothing like laying down a nice thick black smoke screen.

Mike T.
  • zingo
    edited December 2007
    That new Cummins 6.7 is an amazing engine; twin turbos and everything. I am interested to see how it will perform over time. You should be able to get tons of power out of that Defiant.