Saab 9-3 Question

Saabinit
Saabinit Posts: 2
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey, I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible and I bought a system for it just recently...I'm yet to have it installed but I've heard that it probably can't be installed anyway because Saab uses fiber-optics or something of that nature, yet I see people online posting about there systems on similar Saabs....just wondering if you guys have any info about this? Is it just something a place like Circuit city or best buy won't do to cover their butts?

Thanks for any help :)
Post edited by Saabinit on

Comments

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    If you can fine the parts for the Saab you will be ok. Other than that you might have to have a custom kit manufactured. Depending on what the factory radio actually intergrates with you might have to have it relocated somewhere else in the car. I doubt that CC or BB will do this install unless the parts are available through their suppliers but there are many talented installers you can do this job. It really comes down to dollars. Call your local mobile electronics stores and see what you can fine. If you are in the Dallas Fortworth area I can make a recommendation.
  • Saabinit
    Saabinit Posts: 2
    edited December 2007
    When you say it all comes down to dollars, I suppose you mean a significant amount more then a basic install? Also, when you say saab parts, do you just mean parts that will fit the saab? or parts made for saabs?
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited January 2008
    I can't remember ever seeing a kit for a Saab. However I have been able to modify existing kits to work. The same goes for interface harnesses. I probably have only worked on 6 Saabs in over 20 years in the mobile business. It seems that the people who buy Saabs like them just like they are. If the standard kits and harnesses are not available then custom work might have to be done. The wiring is not that hard but sometimes fabricating kits can be labor intensive. The best thing to do is searchout a good mobile facility in your area with many years of experience and let them look at your car.