AWD Or 4WD?

Sansui
Sansui Posts: 372
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
First of all I'd like to thank all of you that responded to my 4WD questions last month!!!

I bought a Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport (V6) Monday before last. Heck of an upgrade from a '99 Cavalier! :)

I've read the manual and have a question or two. I'm confused a bit as to whether I have an AWD, 4WD, or both. According to the manual, in 2WD it kind of acts like a AWD (with VSC on) and in 4HI it acts like a AWD (with VSC on). With VSC off 2WD acts like a regular RWD and 4WD acts like something I guess.

As I read the manual it got to explaining about the "center locking differential" which can be turned on and off. That REALLY confused me after kind of to understanding the Vehicle Stability Control.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm confused about and can tell me what's up in something easier to understand than the manual explains it?

Am I correct in understanding that I can "on the fly" switch from 2WD to 4HI (up to 60 mph/not that I would at that speed) without stopping? BTW, I know I shouldn't do this on pavement because doing so will tear up my tires.

I know I should have asked these questions on a 4WD or a 4Runner specific forum but I can't seem to locate any.

Like my sig says, ...
Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
Post edited by Sansui on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Sansui wrote: »
    First of all I'd like to thank all of you that responded to my 4WD questions last month!!!

I bought a Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport (V6) Monday before last. Heck of an upgrade from a '99 Cavalier! :)

I've read the manual and have a question or two. I'm confused a bit as to whether I have an AWD, 4WD, or both. According to the manual, in 2WD it kind of acts like a AWD (with VSC on) and in 4HI it acts like a AWD (with VSC on). With VSC off 2WD acts like a regular RWD and 4WD acts like something I guess.

As I read the manual it got to explaining about the "center locking differential" which can be turned on and off. That REALLY confused me after kind of to understanding the Vehicle Stability Control.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm confused about and can tell me what's up in something easier to understand than the manual explains it?

Am I correct in understanding that I can "on the fly" switch from 2WD to 4HI (up to 60 mph/not that I would at that speed) without stopping? BTW, I know I shouldn't do this on pavement because doing so will tear up my tires.

I know I should have asked these questions on a 4WD or a 4Runner specific forum but I can't seem to locate any.

Like my sig says, ...

All I know is that part-time 4WD cannot be used on dry pavement. I think it would destroy the center differential? I might be wrong though.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    This article is an interesting read:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    All I know is that part-time 4WD cannot be used on dry pavement. I think it would destroy the center differential? I might be wrong though.

Usually the problem with part-time 4WD (as I understand it, though I'm sure I'll be told I'm an idiot in a few minutes) is there IS no differential. A differential's job is to basically compensate for different speeds of rotation. A part-time 4WD system (like most pickups have, for example) has no differential between the front and rear wheels, so when you're in 4WD they're locked together, and when tehy spin at different speeds (which happens all the time) there is a lot of stress put on the point where they're connected. When you're on wet, slippery pavement this isn't a big deal, but on dry pavement... big deal.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Aimen RG
    Aimen RG Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    ur surf 4runner most probly is a part time 4 wheeler
    u will drive normally in 2wd every where, just like RWD car
    when u engage the 4wd, it will run all tyres, but with NO DIFFERENTIAL LOCK.
    that means ur front and rear tyres can spin at different speeds.
    when u turn the central diff lock ON, it locks the differential, and now ur front and rear tyres share 50 50percent power.
    2WD it kind of acts like a AWD (with VSC on)
    it will be running as RWD, but when ever ur SUV demands more power at the front, the VSC will provide them that power, by changing the differentials at run time.
    4HI it acts like a AWD (with VSC on)
    normally will be runnin as 4wd/awd, but depending on traction issues, VCS can vary power. gear range will be HIGH
    With VSC off 2WD acts like a regular RWD and 4WD acts like something I guess

2wd = RWD, hence all power to rear tyres. rear tyre can share the power as they like
    4wd = 4wd, all power to all wheels, they share power as they like, like if ONE tyre is off the ground, it will be most easy to spin, and hence all power will be directed to it , ie power waste. that is when u need to turn on VSC, or center diff

with center diff, u r locking the front in rear tyres together, if front left tyre is in air, not all power will be wasted, only 50%; the one which was directed towards front tyres, rear will still be spining at thr speed. hence u dont get stuck. center diff is very important in offroading, if u r stuck in mud or sand, u need all the traction that is possible and no power loose on loose wheels.

center diff is a mechanical lock, which u do to keep power on all four wheels. mostly it keeps 50-50 ratio between front n rear, but im not sure about u SUV
    VSC is traction control, directing power to only those wheels which the computer thinks are in grip.

ON road, VCS will work better, OFF road, it always better to manually lock the center diff.

using center diff on pavement will tax ur tyres and u might hear screeching sound when turning, but thats normally more related to front and rear diff.
    u will not break ur shaft or anything. they r not that weak.
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • Sansui
    edited December 2007
    Aimen RG wrote: »
    ur surf 4runner most probly is a part time 4 wheeler
    u will drive normally in 2wd every where, just like RWD car
    (etc.)
    using center diff on pavement will tax ur tyres and u might hear screeching sound when turning, but thats normally more related to front and rear diff.
    u will not break ur shaft or anything. they r not that weak.
    Thank you! I wish you'd written that part of the manual!

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2007
    You can read that? Damn, I'm getting old...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    You can read that? Damn, I'm getting old...

No, you just speak English.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2007
    It's been awhile, but I think the VSC is a viscus cupler in the transfer case. When it is engaged, it will transfer torque between the front and rear axel but let them spin at different speeds. I like old fashion part time 4-wheel drive systems. Better gas milage and there is no need for all the wheels to be powerd unless there is deep snow, mud, or other extream conditions. Keep the VSC off.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    I agree with MSALLA, keep the vehicle in 2WD mode (VSC off) unless it's a system that keeps 100% of the power in the rear when there is no traction issue. Turn the VSC on when the weather is bad or you're going off road.
  • Aimen RG
    Aimen RG Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    isnt VSC vehicle stability control??
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007

Yep.

What year 'Runner is it, Sansui?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    2 wheel drive in normal conditions
    use the vsc in snow.
    4wd is for off road(locking the center, or sometimes front or rear diff), or nasty snow, or you get stuck.

vsc will improve stability
    vsc is usually an extremely high viscosity silicone fluid that allow for minor differences in front to rears tire speed. The OD of a tire can be slightly less, or more so vsc allows some give.
    Anything that says locked should not be used unless the ground is totally covered in snow, and you are not reaching speeds above 40mph.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    So was I wrong in my understanding that 4WD with the center diff locked should not be used on dry pavement?

I'm new to all this so I'm not sure if I understand everything correctly.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    So was I wrong in my understanding that 4WD with the center diff locked should not be used on dry pavement?
    No, you were correct.
  • Sansui
    edited December 2007
    According to the manual it is. I plan to keep it in 2WD unless the snow we get is high enough to make driving unsafe in 2WD.

• Sansui
    edited December 2007
    strider wrote: »
    What year 'Runner is it, Sansui?
    2008. I've had it for two weeks. It has 307 miles on it. I have to tell you, it's one heck of an upgrade from the `99 Cavalier I bought new. :)

• Sansui
    edited December 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    use the vsc in snow.
    4wd is for off road(locking the center, or sometimes front or rear diff), or nasty snow, or you get stuck.

vsc is usually an extremely high viscosity silicone fluid that allow for minor differences in front to rears tire speed. The OD of a tire can be slightly less, or more so vsc allows some give.
    Anything that says locked should not be used unless the ground is totally covered in snow, and you are not reaching speeds above 40mph.
    According to the manual I should only lock the center differential when I'm stuck and that's after I've put it into "4LO".

So if it snows a lot and I feel I have to switch out of 2WD I'm going to put it into "4HI" and go from there. It seems I can switch to "4HI" while moving but if I want/need to go "4LO" then I have to do it after I've completely stopped.

The manual "kind of" says I can switch to 4WD without coming right out and saying it.

• scrapyd
    scrapyd Posts: 12
    edited December 2007
    4wd all the way! AWD is horse crap
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2008
    According to the manual I should only lock the center differential when I'm stuck and that's after I've put it into "4LO".

So if it snows a lot and I feel I have to switch out of 2WD I'm going to put it into "4HI" and go from there. It seems I can switch to "4HI" while moving but if I want/need to go "4LO" then I have to do it after I've completely stopped.

The manual "kind of" says I can switch to 4WD without coming right out and saying it.

With my '02 Durango, I can transfer in and out of 4HI at speeds up to 55mph while moving, but you shouldn't drive it past that speed. If I want to put it in 4LO, there are two options -- stop, put it in neutral, shift to 4LO and wait for it to engage (you'll be able to hear it as 4LO is noisy) or slow to 2-3 mph, shift to N, and turn it to 4LO while rolling at that speed. 25 is the max speed for me in 4LO. I never need to use 4LO. 4HI works just fine for me if I feel like I need a little more traction and power in the snow. Your transfer case should be fairly similar, but there will always be slight differences.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2008
    scrapyd wrote: »
    4wd all the way! AWD is horse crap

Quadratrak on my Jeep Grand Cherokee is the way to go. Full time 4-wheel drive - shifting torque upon wheel spin. Shifting into 4WD manually (on a pickup) isn't nearly as good.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    My brother's Grand Cherokee has the worst 4WD system I've ever seen.

It has the switch to turn on part-time 4WD. It will go into 4WD fine. But when you put it back in 2WD, it doesn't happen. YOu have to drive over a pot hole or a curb, at which point it will pop back into 2WD. How do we know this? IT SAYS IT IN THE MANUAL! So they made this transmission, saw that it had a MAJOR problem that required ridiculous actions, and rather than fix it they just threw it in the manual.

Yup, American Union work at its best. Garbage.
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    My brother's Grand Cherokee has the worst 4WD system I've ever seen.

It has the switch to turn on part-time 4WD. It will go into 4WD fine. But when you put it back in 2WD, it doesn't happen. YOu have to drive over a pot hole or a curb, at which point it will pop back into 2WD. How do we know this? IT SAYS IT IN THE MANUAL! So they made this transmission, saw that it had a MAJOR problem that required ridiculous actions, and rather than fix it they just threw it in the manual.

What you are talking about is "Select-trak". And, yes, that does suck. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a V8 and is Full-time-4WD ALL THE TIME. There is no switch to go into 2-HI. Quadratrak is awesome. Select-trak is awful. That is why I advocate real FULL TIME 4WD SYSTEMS. If you can switch out-of 4WD, its not as good.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    use the vsc in snow.

Thats basically what I said. I just don't like this set up. I think it's just a waste of gas. My mothers mountaineer has this system and it eats gas. But, I do feel safer for her as she is not the best driver in bad weather.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Sansui
    edited January 2008
    wodom1 wrote: »
    With my '02 Durango, I can transfer in and out of 4HI at speeds up to 55mph while moving, but you shouldn't drive it past that speed. If I want to put it in 4LO, there are two options -- stop, put it in neutral, shift to 4LO and wait for it to engage (you'll be able to hear it as 4LO is noisy) or slow to 2-3 mph, shift to N, and turn it to 4LO while rolling at that speed. 25 is the max speed for me in 4LO. I never need to use 4LO. 4HI works just fine for me if I feel like I need a little more traction and power in the snow. Your transfer case should be fairly similar, but there will always be slight differences.
    Well you kind of put the whole thing in a nutshell for me. Thank you!

• strider
    edited January 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    That is why I advocate real FULL TIME 4WD SYSTEMS. If you can switch out-of 4WD, its not as good.

Please explain. I fail to see any advantage in being in 4WD on a dry surface.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    2008. I've had it for two weeks. It has 307 miles on it. I have to tell you, it's one heck of an upgrade from the `99 Cavalier I bought new. :)

Nice. One hell of an upgrade, not that Cavaliers are all that bad. Now we need some snow! Better happen soon, it's supposed to be up into the 60's by Tuesday :eek:

Gotta love Maryland weather.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited January 2008
    Nice. One hell of an upgrade, not that Cavaliers are all that bad. Now we need some snow! Better happen soon, it's supposed to be up into the 60's by Tuesday :eek:

I love it when it's 60. Boy what a bite in the **** the past couple of days. I don't understand the all time 4WD either:confused:

Jim
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »

WTF:rolleyes:
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • rskarvan
    edited January 2008
    Please explain. I fail to see any advantage in being in 4WD on a dry surface.

I can't explain as well as Jeep can. My 4x4 Silverado is ok. My 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee with quadra-trac is absolutely fabulous.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/quadra_trac/
  • Sansui
    edited January 2008
    I bought my Cavalier (new) in '99. I've kept it in perfect condition and gave it to my son for X-mas. The problem with it is that if we got about 3" of snow I wouldn't be able to drive it for a day or so. Anything over 5" and I wouldn't be able to drive it for three to four days.
    Ah, yeah, right... :)