edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Would just like to know -

1. Do you ever go to a local Internet Caf
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited December 2007
    1. No
    2. N/A
    3. Have no idea
    4. Sure
    5. Pedophiles
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I don't know anyone that doesn't have thier own computer / internet connection.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2007
    Internet cafes are big in the asian countries, the one that I am aware of are in South East countries. As Troy alluded to, it's more of a function of economic reasons, as owning PCs/laptops and having internet connectivity are not as prevalent as around here.

Honolulu for some reasons has quite a few of these cafes, that I am aware of.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    other than Starbucks.. there are no internet cafe's here. But more and more fast food places are starting to offer internet access. The Safeway store near me has internet access.

When traveling, it does help a lot to have internet access away from your hotel.

appadv, are you looking to open one in your city?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    I don't know what the reason for this post is, but, for some reason, to me, it feels like a RED FLAG!
    And yes, I KNOW I'm paranoid!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Wow, I had NEVER thought about internet cafes in America. I had never really heard of the term before I went to Albania, and we used an internet cafe at least once every two or three days while we were there. You just walked in, waited for an available computer, then did your thing and then paid when you left. One of them also had a few books for sale in the main room.

I guess due to that being my first experience with internet cafes, my perception may be a little twisted. I NEVER would have considered Starbucks an internet cafe. But I guess it really is, just a much more elaborate one.

So, I've never really utilized an internet cafe here in the states before, but I do know it was invaluable when in Albania!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    The only internet cafe close to here ( 35 miles away ) is in a farming town that I would assume a lot of the residents do not have their own pc available...the only reason I know its there is I built all of the pc's for it :)

A guy at my work commuted from there and thought it would be a good investment...he more catered to gaming then just internet access...so he is doing ok with it.

Wouldnt work around here ...every house has at least 2 pc's in it and broadband internet...whole different world just over the hill.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    I live downtown, and while I have my own internet connection, I will go to places that offer WiFi or hook-ups at a place of business. Usually it's a Starbucks, or our local coffee company, Alterra -- which is a block away from me.

Why? Any work I take home with me isn't ever crucial, so I like being social and hang out with people while I am putzing around editing video or doing Photoshop work. So in most instances I don't care if there's an internet connection or not anways. It's just a way to do something other than sit on my couch by myself.

Bottom line, it's a great way to meet people and shoot the ****. The internet is causing us to become way too much of a hermit culture anyways.

I know you're asking about something different, but I have to say unless you got a good niche they are going to be a thing of the past with how portable laptops are now.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    Demi, i agree man. the couple of ones we had here even near universities closed down for lack of business. this was a few years ago when everyone starting getting their own laptops and Starbucks began offering wi fi

I don't really see many people going to a cafe and log onto a computer to check email or what not... and spending money there. how much espresso would you have to sell if you had say 5 or 6 PC's with internet and make a profit? To me, it just wouldn't add up.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited December 2007
    I guess it depends on your definition of an internet caf
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I have 3 in a 2 block radius by my house. When I walk by they are mostly older looking men at the computers. Never seen a women on one.

Guess it depends on where you are. I live in a bar/restaurant district (yes, I know...it's Milwaukee, the whole damn city is a Bar District :p ) right off a college campus. There's a lot going on at all the coffee shops every night, and the they're packed with college aged women and yuppies. The 25-35 crowd is in my wheelhouse, so it works for me.

I say that if you just want to meet quality people it's far better time spent than getting sauced in a bar.

Dangerboy is right with what he's seen. A place with a bunch of computers for people to use just isn't going to cut it. You can get a basic laptop for word processing and surfing the net for under $500 new. There isn't enough of a market for people to pay to use one when they could just get their own.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    I don't know what the reason for this post is, but, for some reason, to me, it feels like a RED FLAG!
    And yes, I KNOW I'm paranoid!

???:confused:
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    ???:confused:

I agree with your confusion. What gives. My suggestions is if you do not like this post then go to another thread.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    appadv, are you looking to open one in your city?

Bingo! Except I'm a bit younger than Trey so this would be something for the future.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1