Uh oh ! No sound !

Bubba -NJ
Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Got in my Suburban the other day , fired up the system . Uggghhh ! Only the sub-woofer was working . Checked fuses , all are fine , checked power on lights , fine , and then I see the 4-channel rca cables are unplugged . With a closer look I discover that they are snapped off just behind the outer gold sleeve that hooks to the amp . I figure I can get new RCA plugs from the Shack to solder on . My question is , When soldering , Do I need to get the plug and the wire hot or just the solder ? I've never done electrical soldering before , only some copper pipe soldering .
Post edited by Bubba -NJ on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited December 2007
    well, you will need to get the wire hot so it takes the solder. The trick is to not get it too hot so as to melt the insulation on the wire. I siggest some thin solder too (0.5mm) as it flows easier and needs less heat to get it flowing.

When soldering, heat the actual wire.
  • Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited December 2007
    Well , I gave it a shot but I'm no electrical repair guy . The reason for repairing the RCA cable was to avoid taking my truck apart again . From what I learned today , when soldering you need to be in a comfortable position with good lighting and a few alligator clamps to hold your pieces while you work . I was triing to avoid running the wire again and came to the conclusion that I would need to remove the cable to repair it properly . So I just bagged the idea and went to a big box store and bought new RCA cables and replaced the broken cable . I also rerouted the cable so as not to have the same problem again . Thanks for your help Polkies .