Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
You might not know who this is or care, but you should.

This is not good news at all from any diplomatic standpoint here in the U.S. or for the people of Pakistan.

It was earlier reported she was critically injured in a suicide bomb/gun attack at a rally, but she has now since died (the AP is reporting). Speculation that the bombing was a diversion to get her out in the open where she was shot in the neck.

abhutto1.jpg
Dec 27, 8:31 AM EST

Pakistan's Bhutto killed by bombing

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP) -- Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday in a suicide bombing that also killed at least 20 others at a campaign rally, a party aide and a military official said.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP) - Opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was seriously injured and was undergoing surgery Thursday after she was wounded in a suicide attack that killed at least 20 other people, a party aide said.

Safdar Abbasi said Bhutto was hit in the bomb blast.

"BB is serious and she is in the operating theater," he told The Associated Press. Other top leaders of Bhutto's party were at the Rawalpindi General Hospital, crying.

AP Article
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited December 2007
    Let's hope the nukes are under control. Seriously.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    Holy Crap! That is bad news. I once wrote a paper on her. She was definitely no saint, but she does have many supporters. This will not be good for stability i the region.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Holy Crap! That is bad news. I once wrote a paper on her. She was definitely no saint, but she does have many supporters. This will not be good for stability i the region.

Yep, not at all. That's pretty much the key here. :(
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    That's big news and unprecedented since Sadat was assasinated.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    Just saw that on Yahoo... this is not a good development :-(

Happy New Year...
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    Well, ignorance was bliss.

This is one the biggest reasons why you shouldn't live in the DC/Baltimore corridor, lots of tragets. Oh boy.....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    This is one the biggest reasons why you shouldn't live in the DC/Baltimore corridor, lots of tragets. Oh boy.....
    Well, to look at it from the flip side: you won't have to spend a long time watching, waiting and worrying.

In all seriousness, this was something we all knew (and had in the backs of our minds) back in the good old Cold War era.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    I'm shocked I tell you! :rolleyes:

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    It's an ugly, hateful world out there. If we are not very diligent, we will start to see more and more of that sort of stuff here.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007

This is bad, but it doesn't change the leadership structure in Pakistan (not immediately anyway...) She didn't actually have any power, so its not as if this is a coup or something along those lines.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    She had enough power to create the very real potential for a civil war.
  • Aimen RG
    Aimen RG Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    wow
    never expected this to see here.

she was one of the most crupt politicians of Pakistan.
    bad because innocent ppl died.
    good that we have one less crupt politician
    Let's hope the nukes are under control. Seriously

ignorance, pure ignorance
    it not like movies, a single button, that u press and nukes go off.
    all nuclear assets are with Pakistan military ( read musharaf and allies ), unless they decide to go on War with US, u can enjoy ur Polks. but hey, Pakistan doesnt have nuclear war head capable missiles which can reach you, so double enjoy ur polks
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Aimen - I don't think it's common to see someone so high profile assasinated, regardless of her past, which is well documented as questionable.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2007
    the "religion of peace" moniker should be abandoned. And (IMO) that just doesn't just pertain to the Islamic faith. Did you guys know that she was the first ever female prime minister of an Islamic country? :(:confused:
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited December 2007
    Aimen RG wrote: »
    wow
    never expected this to see here.

she was one of the most crupt politicians of Pakistan.

bad because innocent ppl died.
    Thats BS. she was not in power for years, and had virtually no property at all.
    corruption is a circumstance/ culture dependent thing.
    your country's most popular name for boys is .... Osama .. enough said ?
    a female minister had to resign and endured death threats for .... hugging her parachute instructor,
    after her first leap. enough said?

again ... corrupt or not, she was assassinated two weeks before an election,
    and a lot of your nation's people would have voted for her.

btw, why did the assassin had to bomb himself, killing some other 15 people?
    couldn't he just shoot himself? and let the rest of his countrymen live ?
    were they corrupt as well?

another btw, you are aware that MURDER is not the only course of action,
    even if you SUSPECT corruption?
    ignorance, pure ignorance
    it not like movies, a single button, that u press and nukes go off.

If I may be so bold as to ask you what the eff are you talking about ?
    who the hell wants to hit any button? all Al Quida needs is one nuclear head, or a bomb.
    just one or more Kilos of Uranium . that's more then enough for them.
    I'm sure that 99 out of the 100 bombs will be accounted for once Al Quida take over.
    its the missing one thats gonna kill ya.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    aaharvel wrote: »
    the "religion of peace" moniker should be abandoned. And (IMO) that just doesn't just pertain to the Islamic faith. Did you guys know that she was the first ever female prime minister of an Islamic country? :(:confused:

True.
    though after her there were a few others.

and in all fairness .... America never had a female president.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    Sweet! Lets talk about religion and politics! :D
  • Aimen RG
    edited December 2007
    Thats BS. she was not in power for years, and had virtually no property at all.
    corruption is a circumstance/ culture dependent thing.

maybe u r not aware of local politics. she had more than a billion dollars messed up.
    your country's most popular name for boys is .... Osama .. enough said ?

no, its Mohammad or Ahmed.
    a female minister had to resign and endured death threats for .... hugging her parachute instructor,
    after her first leap. enough said?

u need to come here and see reality before u go on making generic comments about extremism
    btw, why did the assassin bombed himself, killing some other 15 people?
    couldn't he just shoot himself? and let the rest of his countrymen live ?
    were they corrupt as well?

y did US bombed half of the iraq because saddam was crupt?
    or afghanistan becasue of osama bin laden?

bomber blowing himslef doesnt represent pakistan.
    another btw, you are aware that MURDER is not the only course of action,
    even if you SUSPECT corruption.

did i say it was?
    once Al Quida take over.

al qaida taking over? r u dreaming?
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    -Justin- wrote:
    Forum Rules

2) The discussion of politics and religion is not allowed on this forum.

Let's stop before it even starts.....seriously.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    Airmen, Pakistan doesn't have the capability right now to put a nuke on a missle that will hit the US.

But we are still concerned, even though it may not directly affect us.

A 150 kiloton warhead will fit quite nicely in the back of a 10-ton truck that has "Red Cross/Medical Supplies" markings on it.

A 10-ton truck that could then possibly make it to the center of Tel Aviv, Haifa, or other assorted targets in Israel (or Iraq, or Iran, or ?).

WHAMMMO !!

Then let the REAL games begin.

And Airmen, contrary to what you may feel, the average American on the street does care about the innocent people in Pakistan, and Iraq, and Iran.

Yes, I will continue to enjoy my Polks as I hope you continue to enjoy yours.
    And I wish the same for your fellow countrymen.

Was Bhutto involved in corruption ? Well, as mentioned, she was no saint.
    But my overall impression of the politics in the Middle East, no matter what the side, no matter what the political view, is one of corruption.

Which kind of makes it difficult for the average American on the street to provide some sort of solution.

My own country went through a period where "Assassination" was considered by some to be a political solution.
    It wasn't, of course, but in reaching that conclusion some fine human beings died: John F Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., amongst others.

My wish for your country would be for your countrymen to reach this conclusion quickly, and for your countrymen to come up with some realistic political solutions that will provide for peace in the region.

For yourselves and ALL your neighbors.

The average American on the street is willing to help you reach that goal.
    Some are willing to give of their time.
    Some are willing to give of their money.
    Some are willing to risk their lives, or those of their sons and daughters.

The first two I'm willing, but of the last I'm not.
    You'll not see me over there, nor my sons or daughter.

And, Airmen, for that I am criticized by some of my fellow Americans.

And, Airmen, THAT is one of the things that makes America great.

If, or when, you can understand that, then you'll understand why I will continue to enjoy my Polks.

I wish you peace and courage.
    Sal Palooza
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    Let's stop before it even starts.....seriously.

The assination of a former leader of a country is far from "politics" and should be an open topic for discussion. This is not Republican vs Democrat or right vs left.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    maybe u r not aware of local politics.
    no, its Mohammad or Ahmed.

I've linked a story from a Pakistani news site. maybe not the most populer, but one of the most.
    u need to come here ....
    I'd rather eat S***t.
    .... and see reality before u go on making generic comments about extremism

you are conveniently ignoring the news story linked.

maybe u r not aware of local politics.
    did i say it was?
    yes.

al qaida taking over? r u dreaming?
    dream? nope. nightmare ? yup.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    I h8 it when ppl cant jus typ out da ful wrds.

I mean, really is it that much more difficult and time consuming to type out 'you' instead of u. I mean, if time's that critical for you, you probably shouldn't be posting anyway.

I don't know anything about the rest of this post...but don't see this discussion ending well.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    The assination of a former leader of a country is far from "politics" and should be an open topic for discussion. This is not Republican vs Democrat or right vs left.

Oh the assassination discussion is fine....it's the stuff coming down later in the thread about Islam, nuclear warheads in Al Quedas hands and what they would do with them because of their beliefs etc.

Shack, you've seen the twisted way threads take after a day or two....just giving a heads up before it takes the turn.
  • Aimen RG
    edited December 2007
    @ carpenter

ive read the article, it didnt say Osama is the MOST pupolar one.
    btw Osama is a Islamic name, if it gives u nightmares, that doesnt mean ppl should stop using it.

i wont argue with u, as apparent from ur posts and views, ur not aware of the real situation and u believe alot on wts shown on the TV.
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    wow....you're still doing it...
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    i wont argue with u

Ok. have a happy new year :)
  • Aimen RG
    edited December 2007
    @ mrbigbluelight

i agree with most of what u said.

but stealing away a warhead in a truck would mean breaking into the army, in turn, breaking Pakistan, a Single bomb, cannot do that, Pakistan has seen worse. alqaeda would need special efforts for that, and Army must remain strong and in hold, bhutto getting into power would have only complicated things and weaken the army.

thank u for u wishes, hope u all remain safe.

wt we need is proper education for the masses
    wt america needs is proper projection of 3rd world countries. the image most ppl in west get is queit distorted.

regards
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • Aimen RG
    edited December 2007
    sorry about the rules.
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650