What do you do when...

13»

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    Yes, it's amazing how they get away with such poor documentation in the service manuals. Heck, if I submitted a lab for my EE class like the way they did, without any reference values listed, I'd most likely fail the course!!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Well, to my luck, I found two projectors on eBay that are listed as parts machines, but appear to be in working condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140200227251&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Does anyone here think it's a good deal? $800 or so for parts isn't THAT bad, especially since a single board costs $1500!!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Unfortunately, this whole situation still f'n sucks :(
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2008
    I'd offer the guy some amount for the particular board you need.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Nah, it looks like he is selling the projectors as whole units. Either way, $800 for two projectors like that is a steal...as long as it's legit???
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    I'd offer the guy some amount for the particular board you need.
    madmax

I just came back from visiting that guy in New Jersey, and he is selling the projectors as a whole.

The good thing is, his "parts" machines are in very good condition! Both machines run, one has bad tubes, the other one throws a good picture. I was thinking of buying the pair, then using the good one first, then rebuilding the second one with parts that I have already.

What do you think - is this a good idea? Or will I just end up spending more money than I had planned?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Pick them both up and get atleast one working like new, work on the other in your spare time till it looks like new, then flip it and make some cash back.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    appadv - The only advice I can come up with is consistent with BaggedLancer's.

I'd look at the projectors and determine if you think that out of the three you would have if you bought them, you could make two of them work. If so, I think it might be best to go for it. Fix one for you, another for money. And who knows, you might run into something or someone and end up being able to make the third one work, too.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • first capital
    first capital Posts: 100
    edited January 2008
    Do you know how the tube are in the one you already have?
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2008
    i would take him to small claims court.
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    audiobliss wrote: »
    appadv - The only advice I can come up with is consistent with BaggedLancer's.

I'd look at the projectors and determine if you think that out of the three you would have if you bought them, you could make two of them work. If so, I think it might be best to go for it. Fix one for you, another for money. And who knows, you might run into something or someone and end up being able to make the third one work, too.

AB and BL: Thanks.

I think I can make one work in the meantime, and then if I put some time and effort into the second one, that one could work too. It just needs a set of new tubes.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Probably a shot in the dark but does the seller have any other items listed for sale on Audiogon? If so, try and contact him with a different account and try to get a name, address, phone number etc. Then maybe you can get this sorted out.
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    Probably a shot in the dark but does the seller have any other items listed for sale on Audiogon? If so, try and contact him with a different account and try to get a name, address, phone number etc. Then maybe you can get this sorted out.

I doubt I can find the guy. Because I have tried for weeks and I've gotten nowhere...

Looks like I will just go with the two projectors on eBay and fix one up for myself, and then work on the second one in my spare time. The tubes are approximately $980 a piece from the manufacturer, so I'll need to order two. But, I think I can get these working and have TWO projectors! One for the HT, one for my dorm room...and if I can fix the third one, one more for a drive-in theater! ;)

Now does anybody know what kind of truck will be big enough to fit TWO of these units in? It seems like I'll need to rent something like a Ford F150 or a U-Haul from the local rental places!!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    goingganzo wrote: »
    i would take him to small claims court.

If I can even find him!!!

This is why, IMO, it's better to buy from someone who has a reputation (like our very own Trey) instead of buying something sight unseen over the 'gon or eBay.

Rant off!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I've had over 100 all good experiences through A-gon and the bay. It would be foolish to limit purchases to friends only.

What, if any info do you have on this person? His A-gon name, phone number, email? Next time you meet up with someone, take their plate #. ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited January 2008
    Face,

You have a PM.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1