Octopus, Eel and other fishies on Christmas Eve!

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
So we went to my dads friends house for christmas eve and as usual got the experience the Italian feast of 7 fishes meal then the meat after midnight. This year was different though, I told myself I was going to try things I'd normally stay away from.

The two things I tried were raw octopus chopped up in this vinegar dressing.....UNBELIEVABLE....I could munch on those things for hours. Only strange feel was all the little sucker things between your teeth.

The other dish was some sort of stuffed eel.....definately not as bad as I think of when I see them swimming in the supermarket tanks. Not too gamey or anything like that....it was rather delicious as well.

Other fish on the table included Lobster, Calmari, Swordfish, Scallops, Shrimp, Oysters, and Cherrystones.

They had all sorts of homemade hot cherry peppers and habeneros and stuff like that which I sampled some when I was getting ready to leave because I knew I had a case of water in the car for an emergency.

Lastly....Grappa(sp) or whatever it's called. That is by far the most disgusting wine drink I've ever tried and it's almost like instant heartburn. How do people drink that stuff? :eek:

All in all, a great Christmas eve!
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the good eats club!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the good eats club!

I knew you'd be the first to post in this thread!

The fish feast is definately something everyone should experience!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Sounds like it is. I'd love to be able to experience some of that food.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    I grew up having to eat squid soup every Christmas Eve in a tomato broth as a part of our Italian dinner. I remember chewing it forever as it was rubber. The overall taste of the soup was pretty good, but it was a duty that's for sure. The Christmas after my grandmother passed my aunt announced that tradition had thankfully been retired. Instead we celebrated with an incredible shrimp recipe she found. I'm just grateful the eel recipe never made it to the 1960's.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    The rule of thumb when cooking squid is, 2 minutes or 2 hours. In between causes rubber band syndrome!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Thank God my Italian family was never into all that fish stuff, I'm not a seafood fan at all. And I have forced myself to try it at various stages in my life, and aside froma very few exceptions (crab cakes are good, fried shrimp and calamari are edible) I just can't stomach them.

My mom is dating a rather rich chef right now, so this Christmas we had, for about a dozen people, enough prime rib to feed an army (each cut had to weigh three pounds, and there had to be 16 or 18 of these things), plus she made about 40 lobster tails. And that was just the main dish.

I can't even move today.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.