sub blown, or dying?

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an mm2084dvc sub, and i was tinkering with things in my trunk today with the music playing when i discovered that my sub sounds funny. it sounds like a cheaply made cardboard 6 incher from wallmart. there's this funny rattling sound eminating from what i think is the speaker...i know it's not over-driven, and it sounds fine for the most part inside the cab. what could it be? speaker wire hitting the cone? backwave? just blown sub? please help i have no idea what is wrong with it. it used to sound REAL clean and punchy, but now the clean sound has faded into something odd.

btw, it is in a sealed box to specs, with some polyfill inside the box.
also, what is a good crossover setting for the mmc6500 series tweets? they seem to be reproducing an aweful lot of frequencies that kind of cancel out my mids, since they are mounted up on the dash..

thanks for any input!
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited December 2007
    Check that you do not have bass boost on the amp enabled. Check your gains.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    I would pull it appart and double check everything. It could be any number of things, but you will never know until you get your hands dirty.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    Sound like a voice coil rubbing. If it is not bottoming out then slowly push on the sub keeping it linear and listen. If the voice coil is rubbing you should be able to hear it and feel it.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited December 2007
    looks like ill be investigating tomorrow. my gains are fine, never touched them after tuning most recently, perhaps 2 months ago...ill just take it apart and see i suppose..thanks guys
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    I have an mm2084dvc sub, and i was tinkering with things in my trunk today with the music playing when i discovered that my sub sounds funny. it sounds like a cheaply made cardboard 6 incher from wallmart. there's this funny rattling sound eminating from what i think is the speaker...i know it's not over-driven, and it sounds fine for the most part inside the cab. what could it be? speaker wire hitting the cone? backwave? just blown sub? please help i have no idea what is wrong with it. it used to sound REAL clean and punchy, but now the clean sound has faded into something odd.

btw, it is in a sealed box to specs, with some polyfill inside the box.
    also, what is a good crossover setting for the mmc6500 series tweets? they seem to be reproducing an aweful lot of frequencies that kind of cancel out my mids, since they are mounted up on the dash..

thanks for any input!

Take the sub out of the box and see if anything is loose, then play it a little out of the box and see if it still makes the noise.

For the MMC6500's, try turning the tweeters attenuator down to -6 db on the crossover.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2007
    I assume that your mids are down low in the doors. Try reversing the phase on the tweeters, sometimes this helps blend them with the mids a little better.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    Max has a good idea and another would be to leave everything in phase, then flop the polarity of just one mid. Tune to an AM talk radio station and take note of the announcers voice. Its a mono signal so it should be front and center and focused. If youre not using time alignment it will be over to the left a good bit but thats normal.

Now swap the phase of one of the mids and listen to the voice. Did the image focus up any? Did it increase in midbass response? If it did, leave the mid out of phase. If it skewed it all over the place and you cant physically point to where the voice is coming from, or the midbass response gets really thin, put it back in phase.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D