Help: Logitech Harmony Limitations

Scooter1
Scooter1 Posts: 19
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have a Yammie Htr5990 with no remote. I can pick up a new one for the receiver for about 40 bucks. But i was also looking at the Harmonys noticing the device downloads available. Does anyone have experience with these?
Is it a full function remote after the download....ie. Will I have the receiver menu commands available such as speaker adjustment, zone control, effect options.

In a nutshell, what am I giving up by going with the universal exclusively vs. the receivers remote + universal.
I'm all ears (eyes) if there is a better recommendation to use under 150.00.

Merry Christmas! Scott
Post edited by Scooter1 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    I've used several of these, and have yet to come across something that's not programmed in the Harmony...
  • Scooter1
    edited December 2007
    Thanks Polkmaniac,
    Thats pretty much what the kid at Best Buy told me. Its just that you are not standing at the cash register with your hand out like he was. Its good to know I will have a good chance of it living to expectations vs. just a on/off volume control. I'm pretty much a babe when it comes to these, so I certainly appreciate your comment.

Scott
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    Based on my experiences, after the download you'll have all the same capabilities with the Harmony.
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited December 2007
    I also had a question about Harmony remotes but my concern was with my Direct TV receiver, will I still be able to access all the menus and guides with the harmony or will I still have to have my DTV remote.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2007
    Millerman you should be able to. I have no problems with my HD-DVR cable box from Cox.

Save yourself some money and order the Harmony Remote from NewEgg, I saved about 70 dollars than getting it at BB or CC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100710
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited December 2007
    Millerman you should be able to. I have no problems with my HD-DVR cable box from Cox.

Save yourself some money and order the Harmony Remote from NewEgg, I saved about 70 dollars than getting it at BB or CC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880100710

Thats the one I've been looking at but at Sam's Club, they had them on sale alittle while back and I started to get one then but didn't. I may have to check back with them and see if they are running them on sale after Christmas.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited December 2007
    My Harmony works with my DirectTV box.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    Scooter1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a babe when it comes to these, so I certainly appreciate your comment.

Scott

Hmmm.... Please post pictures....I think....:confused:

I've got an older harmony (can't remember model number) and I've never had any trouble with any command for any device. I even have it set up to control the Lutron dimmers on the wall. I imagine that other programmable remotes are similar, but when you program the remote from the Harmony website, you can assign any comand that the device you are programming for uses to any of the buttons available. They are very versitile. It usually takes a few revisions for me to get everything tweaked in though. if you customize you are working with your own logic (which I evidently struggle with)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Scooter1
    edited December 2007
    Wellll I think I'm a babe anyway. That is when I shave and take my monthly bath. I'll send a pic in a couple weeks if I happen to do both at the same time.

"if you customize you are working with your own logic"
    Generally, therein lies my biggest problems due to putting a sixpack in my belly during the programming. Unfortunately at that point, no amount of questions to any forum can help. :rolleyes:
    Avalanche, thanks for the link. I order computer parts from them and never considered the remote. Exactly 40 bucks cheaper than BB.

Merry Christmas to all Scott
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,444
    edited December 2007
    Over priced crap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2007
    Scooter1 wrote: »
    Avalanche, thanks for the link. I order computer parts from them and never considered the remote. Exactly 40 bucks cheaper than BB.

Merry Christmas to all Scott

Glad I could help Scott....Merry Christmas!!
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Over priced crap.

I can't disagree on the overpriced part, the 890 I just bought my parents still costs an arm and a leg, but being able to program it so they can just sit down and hit one button to watch a movie is priceless, I normally get about three phone calls a night asking how to go from "movie mode" to "tv mode" as they call it....Hopefully the harmony ends that.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    I just can't seem to get mine to do what I want it to do on an consistent basis. I keep meaning to contact Logitech about it, maybe mine's a lemon or an orange or a grapefruit, but perfection she ain't.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    I just can't seem to get mine to do what I want it to do on an consistent basis. I keep meaning to contact Logitech about it, maybe mine's a lemon or an orange or a grapefruit, but perfection she ain't.

I own a Harmony 880 and have to use the HELP button every time I listen to music or watch a movie because, for some reason, the remote won't automatically change the proper setting in the HT pre from the 7 channel inputs to Dolby. The last known setting remains in the pre when it's turned on. I don't know if the problem is the remote or the pre, but the HELP button fixes the problem immediately. It's not a big deal, but it's an extra step that I'd like to avoid.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited December 2007

Which model do you have? I haven't had any problems with mine, beyond locking up once or twice.....Normally I am the poster child for Murphy's Law with **** like this, but mine is actually ok....I got theirs set up last night, and it's working great as of now.....We will see how it fares this week to my father's relentless button mashing....It's great, he types like an ape. He is on his third laptop keyboard in the past 9 months.....:D
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I own a Harmony 880 and have to use the HELP button every time I listen to music or watch a movie because, for some reason, the remote won't automatically change the proper setting in the HT pre from the 7 channel inputs to Dolby. The last known setting remains in the pre when it's turned on. I don't know if the problem is the remote or the pre, but the HELP button fixes the problem immediately. It's not a big deal, but it's an extra step that I'd like to avoid.

Since the Emotiva has discreet commands, at least by looking at the remote, for "7.1 in" and "Dolby," you should be able to add the "Dolby" or "7.1" command to the "activity" you need them for so you don't have to use the "help" button. You might also need to adjust the timing, as Harmony may not have the correct pause length between the power on and input commands.

I've installed a lot of Harmony remotes over the past 3 years, however, there are limitations, and they just don't cut it for many systems and users.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    Bill, it's a 550.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    I have a 520 that's been sitting in a drawer for about a year 'cause the damn thing never worked correctly. Could never program it correctly. When I thought I did, damn thing still never worked all the functions. I gave up.

Some things are not "more" convenient......
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~