amp recommendation for a single SR124

gator8
gator8 Posts: 4
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all, Im new to this forum and i need advice. I just bought single polk
SR124 sub but i need an amp that would match the rms for this single voice coil (4ohms). What are you guys running and/or recommend for this sub. Thanks
Post edited by gator8 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2007
    Youre going to need a big **** 2-channel. Budget? Brand preference?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    i buy the Alpine PDX-1.1000, but im planing on buy another sub later, but the PDX-1.600 was my other option. and thats doing almost 700 RMS, same as your Sub.

also ive heard good things about the JBL amps, JL, and Kicker.

im not an expert on this subject, but wait until someone else post, maybe im wrong.
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • exalted512
    edited December 2007
    Kinetic wrote: »
    i buy the Alpine PDX-1.1000, but im planing on buy another sub later, but the PDX-1.600 was my other option. and thats doing almost 700 RMS, same as your Sub.

im not an expert on this subject, but wait until someone else post, maybe im wrong.

Mono block would be a bad choice in his situation.
    -Cody
  • Kinetic
    edited December 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    -Cody

ah ok sorry
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • gator8
    gator8 Posts: 4
    edited December 2007
    budget is $1000 and im considering any popular brand. I was acctually leaning towards the mtx TE4001D. it has 1250 watts rms at 4 ohms but i feel that this is to much of an amp for the speaker. What do you guys recommend? What other amps are there that match the 700 rms at 4 ohms?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2007
    gator8 wrote: »
    Hello all, Im new to this forum and i need advice. I just bought single polk
    SR124 sub but i need an amp that would match the rms for this single voice coil (4ohms). What are you guys running and/or recommend for this sub. Thanks

exalted512 wrote: »
    -Cody

^^^I agree, but...the PDX series actually put out the same RMS value when wired at 4 or 2 ohms, so it's not a terrible choice for that woofer in terms of quality (in fact, I like it :D), it's just not the most cost-effective solution.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=500PDX1600&search=alpine+pdx&tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=500PDX1100&search=alpine+pdx&tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

If budget isn't a concern, go with option A if you want a reliable combo, go with option B if you want more power and headroom (but be very careful with your gain settings).

There are craploads of good amp choices out there, but the fact you chose the SVC woofer means that when using most of the monoblocks on the market, you'll be paying much more for an amp that does it's best output when wired for a 2 (or even 1) ohm load, so you'll need an even more powerful and expensive amp to optimize the SVC SR sub at 4 ohms (thus wasting the potential). Some amps like the PDX (among others) are regulated to put out the same power regardless of load connected, so they'll work fine but cost a little more.

As Cody stated, a decent two-channel bridged that provides around 700 watts RMS @ 4 ohms would be the most cost-effective choice. The PDX would be a good choice if the Class A/B two channel amp would draw too much current from your car's electrical system to be feasible.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    would the Polk 500.1 be a good choice ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited December 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    would the Polk 500.1 be a good choice ?

Although it is a nice amp, i wouldn't really consider it a good choice in this situation. The sub would be severely underpowered since its an SVC (its rated at 700rms, and it'd only be getting 350). However, if it was a dual voice sub, then it would work better with that amp.
  • Kinetic
    edited December 2007
    guys how much power can handdle the SR124-DVC on a 2 Ohm load?
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2007

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/subs/12inch/sr124dvc/

700 watts RMS. I would consider using more for headroom purposes, but I'd be extremely careful with gains if you go that route. The sub can dissipate the heat from 700 watts of continuous power, but should the voice coil receive more heat than it's able to dissipate from an amp putting out far in excess of what it's rated for, terrible things can happen. That means with a music signal you're probably fine, but with bass-heavy tracks or test tones played at high volume for any length, you run the risk of cooking the voice coils ;).
  • exalted512
    edited December 2007
    ^^^I agree, but...the PDX series actually put out the same RMS value when wired at 4 or 2 ohms, so it's not a terrible choice for that woofer in terms of quality (in fact, I like it :D), it's just not the most cost-effective solution.

Yea, so instead of just letting the impedance drop do the work, instead, they draw more current. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of idiot proof amps.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=104&family_id=106&item_id=107996&locale=en_US&p_status=

Beautiful amp, fairly efficient, do well past its rated power, and an extremlely small foot print to boot.

Like I said, stay away from mono blocks (hence, 500.1, the .1 means its a monoblock) and get yourself a nice quality 2-channel. Or get a DVC 2 or 4 ohm sub.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2007

The RMS doesnt change, the ohm load just changes what resistance it can be wired to on your amplifier.
    -Cody
  • Kinetic
    edited December 2007
    thanks a lot guys
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500