Disappearing car doors....

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Think the structural integrity of the car has been compromised?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    That's awesome.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Sweet. A dead battery might suck though. Can someone junp my door? Never mind I can't get in to unlock the hood:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited December 2007
    Looks awesome...but it would suck during a rainstorm.
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2
    Polk Audio SR 6500 - Fronts
    Polk Audio DB651 - Rear
    2 -10" Treo Subs
    Interfire IB 2600C sub amp
    Sirius Sat radio
    Ipod connection
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    Cool idea, but just one more thing to break. I like the compromise on my Dad's Denali. The Denali has a normal door that may open manually but also opens and closes with a button on the keychain.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    It's sad but I agree with SolidSqual. Just one more thing to break.

As for a dead battery I'm sure it could be opened manually. Freakin amazingly cool though.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    It's sad but I agree with SolidSqual. Just one more thing to break.

As for a dead battery I'm sure it could be opened manually. Freakin amazingly cool though.

Jaws of life, sawzall, maybe torches, but then you would never get the burnt smell out of your car:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Very futuristic. I like it.

Will the door close while you're still trying to get out of the car? That could hurt.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ben62670
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Very futuristic. I like it.

Will the door close while you're still trying to get out of the car? That could hurt.

Mark should get one. If he is really drunk he could use it to help him up if he falls out of the car:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    I've seen that before, and that's a pretty awesome idea. I'm not sure I like the idea of having to rely on electronics to be able to get out of my car, though, in case of emergency.

However, someone mentioned they could be manually opened, too. I'm not sure how that could work, but if they designed it so it was both automatic and manual, that'd be cool.

Now, THIS is how your doors are SUPPOSED to operate! :):D :eek: :rolleyes: :p
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6MxepHMJjA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6MxepHMJjA&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    From the video it looks like the door basically swings down and then pushes into the floor, there's no reason that can't be done manually. Almost like an upside down garage door. :)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    From the video it looks like the door basically swings down and then pushes into the floor, there's no reason that can't be done manually.

If so, the door has to have a way to manually roll the window down. That would look weird on a modern car.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I was more concerned about are they going to make it manual instead of can they.

For it to be manual, I obviously don't know, but I'd imagine you might want a torsion bar in there or something else to make it easier to swing the door up; looks like it could be heavy. Also, they would have to come up with some kind of a manual latch for it as it appears as though they only have buttons for it currently. And of course that'd mean totally redoing the inner door panels. I guess I was mainly thinking of how many things they'd have to change and assuming from that that they wouldn't, instead of saying they couldn't. Or maybe I just wasn't thinking. ;)

But that does remind me of another thing I don't like about it. The door panels have no pockets, arm supports, or grips on it anymore, and it looked kinda cheesey from the inside to see the cloth getting bunched up as the door slid under the car.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »

Methinks that guy watched one too many episodes of the Transformers....:D
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2007
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    wow is that retarded....

As for these other doors.....you do lose width of your seats because of the arc required to swing the doors around and under you. If you go to their website, there's a diagram of how it affects the seating inside......

It's a novelty, but not one I'd ever want. I wouldn't want that thing in snow, rain, whatever.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    If so, the door has to have a way to manually roll the window down. That would look weird on a modern car.

Crap, great point. I would imagine they'd have to figure this out if this were ever to go to production, though - there's no way they'd allow a 100% electronically controlled door.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    Cool but I won't have a door to hide behind during a shootout not to mention having to put up with more celebrity no underwear reports in the news. :rolleyes:
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    Im with those that think this is just one more thing to break. Power windows worry me to death enough as is. They always break when theyre DOWN and just as its about to start raining. All I need is to worry about my entire door being stuck down.

Ill take the good old dual hinge models.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2007
    I'm sure that those that can afford this option are not really concerned about repairs.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Is this for real?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!