Complete swap, advice needed pleaseee!

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I crashed my car really slowly, yet the damage of it was quite a bit. Basically hit a parked car while I slid on ice at about 10-15 mph.

Anyway, since my car is so cheap and I don't have a place to fix it, it really made more sense to get a replacement car. I got it for 500 dollars more than the body shops quoted me to fix it, and it is the same year, same model, same options (top of the line), and it's black instead of silver.

But I have dearly hated the stereo since I got it. 13 year old Clarion speakers can't compare to my speakers, so on Saturday I'm going to attempt to swap everything over.

Is there any tips as to how to do this? Like what should be done first, what later? This is my setup:

Front components (alpine spx177r). This should be easy as it it stock locations even for the tweeters. I will have to move the crossovers (currently inside the door, to the trunk, so it is easier to adjust). I think I should have no problems with this.

Also for the front doors I bought some dynamat xtreme. But I have no idea where is it applied.... to the door? to the door skin? Near the speaker? everywhere? I bought a 2 door kit, and probably have like 4 sq feet around too.

The rear I have some component DB6500's, those are mounted on a leather covered wooden plank, so I should have no problem there.

The subs and amps are mounted in one box, so that should be easy too.

But now...

I have no idea what to do when it comes time to the head unit and the power wiring.

Do I just plug in the 3 pre outs to the woofer from the head unit and ground it?
Was there an adapter put on? Is it a pluggable/unpluggable. It is a CD7100 btw.

And the power wiring, I see that from the battery there's a fuse (since i'm swapping the battery too I could just unplug the one end of the fuse), but how to run it from the battery to the trunk is beyond me... Any suggestions?

I'm planning to do this on Saturday so I hope someone has some imput into this.
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2007
    It will prob be easier for u to just duplicate your previous install exactly as it is in the crashed car, that way u have a visual, if its not broken dont fix it. Start with all the wiring, run all the wires under the panels and take the time to make everything clean, use zip ties where needed.
    u can prob get away with using the same kit for the head unit and im sure u can use the wiring harness again.

as far as the mat, its best to cover EVERYTHING u can, but i dont think u will have enough for that so your best bet will be to do around the speaker hole, cut out a square that will leave about an inch and a half of extra mat for around the speaker, u will now have your hole covered, cut that like a piece of pie and fold it back to the inside of the door panel, this will give it extra stability, u can actualy do 2 layers if u have enough. Listen for rattles in other spots like the door handles and either put a tiny piece of mat where the rattle is or use anything, u can even cover the metal with a piece of duct tape.

hope this helps, good luck
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    The only difference is that your crossovers will be in the trunk so you will need to run a set of speakers wires from inside the door to the trunk for the mids and a set of wires from the factory speaker location to the trunk for the tweeters. Use at least 16 guage wire for this, 14 guage would be better. Be sure and run your power wire trough the fire wall using a grommet. If you do not have the ability to do this go to a shop and pay them to drill you a hole and put a grommet in it. If you have never drilled a hole in a firewall it can be very dangerous. I have seen many a brake booster drilled and that is expensive. Since it is the same car the radio should already have the correct adaptors on it unless it was not used in the old car. Some cars will have different harnesses in them but that is not the norm. Good Luck
  • DemonAstroth
    edited December 2007
    Thank you both.

I was only able to pull the stuff from the one car. I noticed that the power cable was drilles about 2 inches from the throttle cable, so I suppose that place is safe to drill through.

I had a lot to do to swap, so the header, intake, brakes (pads and rotors), exhaust, suspension, and short shifter had to be swapped as well and it took most of the time. My next time I will most likely do the stereo is New Year's Eve in the morning.

I really can't wait, as having no music is pretty difficult.

Demon
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2007
    heh, yeah i know what u mean, i actualy used headphones the days my stereo was down.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    I am with you on that I listened to my Pioneer Inno with head phones until I got my system in. Had to lay it on the dash to get reception.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited January 2008
    Well.... it's all done. I just have a couple of details to iron out. First, I have to put the covers of the DB crossovers on. The thing is they need to be on before they are wired. I will do this as I add longer wires so that I can tuck them through the roof of the car down into the amplifier (behind the box behind the seat).

And the front crossovers are now in the trunk, but they are just there, I need to find a place to attach them to. Maybe on one of the sides of the box. I just don't like that If I attach them to the box, basically everything is there, and if someone breaks into the car if they take the box pretty much everything is gone.

Other than that things are looking/sounding pretty good.

Demon