New digital camera - Rebel XT or D40?

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I posted this over at a tech forum I frequent but thought I'd post it over here for some more opinions. Thanks in advance:

BH Photo has the Canon Rebel XT kit on sale for $445 and they also have the Nikon D40 kit with 2 lenses for $549 after a $100 instant rebate, plus free shipping:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/530205-REG/Canon__EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500315-REG/Nikon_9420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

My wife and I do a lot of things together and we're now talking about taking up photography. To be honest I don't see us getting super deep into the hobby (who knows?) but as it stands I can see us traveling all around to take some great shots and making albums we'll want to keep forever. I'm more of the gadget freak and she's more of a "just use it" type of person. Our 4.1 MP Canon point and shoot takes really great pictures but I want to take it up to the next level. 95% of the shots will be taken outside with, I'm guessing, pretty good lighting. I don't see myself ever spending over $200 for a lens but after a while my thoughts may change.

With that, which kit would you recommend for us? Also, I'm not too adept on what all the lens information means and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of a site that can explain everything in detail?

Thank you very much for your time! Oh yeah, and are these deals really that good, or could I wait 2 months and probably find the same thing?
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited December 2007
    http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera_Digital-Cameras-Nikon

I bought my Nikon D50 kit from Cameta camera and they were very helpful and know cameras their prices were the best I had found and they are an authorized dealer and a real store.
    My wife and I have been very happy with the D50 which the 40 replaced (the differances I'm not sure) but mine takes better pics then I expected. I'm not sure about the Canon but I'm sure they would be very helpfull, give them a call I'm sure you'll be happy.

Dave
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    The Nikon kit with the 2 lenses would be a great place to start, I'd imagine it would be a lot of shooting before you'd find a need to get a different type of lense. Two points of advice I'd offer, if I may, 1. don't get caught up in the amount of megapixels 2. be aware that while you can definitely take better pictures with an SLR, you also have a lot more to latitude to screw them up. I've had my digital Canon Rebel for over 3 years, my first camera. I still find people with a simple point and shoot taking better pictures then me in the same conditions, especially inside.

A good site you could hit for info on the cameras, and shooting in general, is dpreview.com.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    strider wrote: »
    2. be aware that while you can definitely take better pictures with an SLR, you also have a lot more to latitude to screw them up. I've had my digital Canon Rebel for over 3 years, my first camera. I still find people with a simple point and shoot taking better pictures then me in the same conditions, especially inside.

That's an interesting comment. My friend decided to take up photography as a hobby and just purchased a D80 and he's already taken some awesome pics. He did a vast amount of research, read a beginner's book, watched videos, etc. on how to operate the camera and make use of its features before he bought it. Most people are too lazy to get into stuff in a deep way, but it seems to me that photography requires a good deal of knowledge and experience to do it right.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    That's an interesting comment. My friend decided to take up photography as a hobby and just purchased a D80 and he's already taken some awesome pics. He did a vast amount of research, read a beginner's book, watched videos, etc. on how to operate the camera and make use of its features before he bought it. Most people are too lazy to get into stuff in a deep way, but it seems to me that photography requires a good deal of knowledge and experience to do it right.

I take my worst pictures indoors trying to capture those "special moments". Sometimes I'm not adept enough with the settings to make an on the fly decision and find the lighting off or the picture blurry because the shutter's open too long for the situation. A friend of mine lent me a great beginner's book recently, I believe it's an older edition of this one. In hindsight, I think I'd be taking better pictures today if I'd started with a 35mm film SLR; the ability to tkae numerous pictures, review and delete the bad ones is a blessing and a curse of digital photography for me.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    Maz, a couple of things:

First, take a look at the thread I posted about the same topic earlier this week, there's good info in there. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60852

Second, it doesn't look like the Nikon kit you linked has the VR zoom lens. You want this. It's a superior lens to the one in the kit you linked, as the VR has image stabalization built in, and it works well - keep in mind this is optical stabalization, not the software trickery that many of the point and shoot cameras use. You can grab the camera and 18-55 lens kit on Amazon for $474, and the 55-200 VR lens for $190, and then get the $100 off instantly when you check out at Amazon - it's a few more bucks, but well worth it.

I'd grab the kit and lens on Amazon (be sure to check the special offers section for anything else they're throwing in for free - I got a strap, filter, and calendar from Shutterfly free with mine), and take a look through that thread I linked, as there's some good information there.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2007
    Here are the item links on Amazon:

Nikon D40 Kit with one lens

55-200mm VR lens

Be sure to add the camera strap and UV filter linked in the special offers on the camera page to your basket to get those free - looks like the Shutterfly deal is no longer there.

This is a little more than I paid for my package, as the camera was $450 when I bought it over the weekend, but you're still only looking at $565 shipped for everything - it's a fantastic deal!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    My Canon P&S took better indoor pictures than my Nikon D50 when in auto. The reason is that the SLR's built in flash is not good at all. The P&S has a better flash. I bought an external flash for the SLR and that made all the difference in the world.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited December 2007
    I will second Polkmaniac's suggestion. I think one more thing you need to consider is to goto a local photo shop and try handling both camera and go for one that feel more comfortable in your hands. Personally I like the grip on Nikon D40 more comfortable for my hands.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    The cannon kit posted will leave you very limited if you are taking any pics at any distance. I would definitely get something with a good zoom for outdoors. I am more partial to Nikon. They make great optics.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    I have a Canon Rebel XT (never used any Nikon gear) and really like it.

I will reinterate a couple of things others have said. Get to know the gear really well. I purchased a DVD from Blue Crane Digital : Introduction to the Canon Digital Rebel XT. It is a really good resource into how to use that specific camera and a few general photography tips as well. Well worth the $20 I spent. Blue Crane Digital has a DVD for the Nikon D40 as well. I would highly recommend it (check out B&H Photo for a good price).

The built in flash is generally not very good for anything but a fill. I originally purchased a 220EX speedlight TTL which is a small hotshoe fixed flash. It was much better than the popup flash but later upgraded to 430EX which was another good upgrade. There was also a Blue Crane DVD that explained all of the details and oprerations of the 430/530 flash as well. Much better than the supplied instructions. I serously doubt you will go wrong with either one. Good luck.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Obviously, i'm very partial to Nikon. I love the build quality and feel of their cameras.

I second the motion to going to a local shop to get a feel for these cameras. Best Buy has them, Ritz Camera and whatever Mom & Pop Shops you have around.

I agree with looking at a flash unit. The onboards SUCK, even on the higher end units. I hate them and don't use it. If it's at all possible, look into this one if you do go with the Nikon...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/323882-USA/Nikon_4802_SB_600_Speedlight.html

This one should cover all your flash needs, that is, until you decide to go hog wild into photography. Still, it's an excellant flash.

John
    No excuses!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Another camera to consider (that is heavily discounted right now) is the Canon 30D.
    Also, take a look at the Rebel XTi.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Obviously, i'm very partial to Nikon. I love the build quality and feel of their cameras.

I second the motion to going to a local shop to get a feel for these cameras. Best Buy has them, Ritz Camera and whatever Mom & Pop Shops you have around.

I agree with looking at a flash unit. The onboards SUCK, even on the higher end units. I hate them and don't use it. If it's at all possible, look into this one if you do go with the Nikon...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/323882-USA/Nikon_4802_SB_600_Speedlight.html

This one should cover all your flash needs, that is, until you decide to go hog wild into photography. Still, it's an excellant flash.

John

I have a D70 and it's still a beast of a camera. I recommend Nikon as well. Nothing against Canon, just like the feel of the Nikon a lot more.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2007
    John, I was looking at going with the SB 400 to save some money. Should I just not even bother and save up for the 600, or is the 400 still a decent upgrade?
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited December 2007
    On the functionality differences not discussed here is that cannon is menu based for functions of the camera. That means if you want to change a function you have to go into the menu section. On the nikon most of the changes can be made by pressing function buttons on the camera body it self. The both have benefits and faults. You should really consider visiting a camera shop before you buy to find out what would work best for your situation.

Steve
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Demi, the D70 is what started it for me. I still have it and have been thinking about sending it off to a company to get it converted to an Infrared camera. They do some convertion process to the sensor. Talk about some badass looking photos! Infrared photography is a whole new realm.

Polkmaniac, i've never used nor checked out the SB400. Nikon is known as having top notch flash units and lighting in general. I'm sure it will be nice, but if you can save some extra pennies and wait for the 600, then do so. One thing is for sure, the 400 will be much better than the onboard flash.

Nikon's do have alot of nice external controls for adjusting settings. I want quick results and sometimes need quick results, espcially if shooting sports events. No time to dick around in the menus looking for something.

Ok all you camera freaks...we want photos! Get ta snappin! :D

John
    No excuses!
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited December 2007
    SB400 is a decent one as per reviews:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

I have SB600 though and really like it.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2007
    I did see the ken Rockwell site. Although in favor of my camera, his opinions seem to be a bit one-sided...