Wireless network question

MattN03
MattN03 Posts: 558
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I recently bought a Sprint wireless modem (Novatel U727) for internet service and have a Linksys WRT54G router. The Sprint modem only has a USB connection. Linksys tells me I have to have a connection in the internet port on the router using a RJ45 connector to get internet access. Is there anyway around this? I'd like to connect my wife's PC to the internet through the Linksys wireless router.
Post edited by MattN03 on

Comments

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    Off the top of my head, you could probably connect the modem directly to a computer, then share that connection through a wire to the router.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    They make cables for that, just do a search.

Otherwise, plug it in to your computer USB port and treat it as a wireless connection. It should self install and when you add the encryption, work.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, you could probably connect the modem directly to a computer, then share that connection through a wire to the router.

A crossover cable? I knew I could do that, but was hoping to get a wireless connection for her PC. Eventually, we'll replace her desktop with a laptop so I'd like to confirm hooking up this Sprint card to work with a wireless router is possible.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    They make cables for that, just do a search.

Otherwise, plug it in to your computer USB port and treat it as a wireless connection. It should self install and when you add the encryption, work.

It's not actually a wireless modem. It's just a wireless aircard that provides broadband internet speeds anywhere there is Sprint coverage.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    Yea, I'm aware of what it is and modem is just an old word. I'm not sure what planet those Sprint Nextel folks live on, but it's not broadband speed in my reality.

As far as I know, it's not a wireless hub....it's an aircard for the selected user or component. You can't allow multiple computers on it but I really don't see why not. Minutes are minutes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Yea, I'm aware of what it is and modem is just an old word. I'm not sure what planet those Sprint Nextel folks live on, but it's not broadband speed in my reality.

When you live in the middle of no where like I do, this is high speed compared to the other alternative-dial up :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone. A co-worker is coming over tonight and help me with it. He's confident that we can get it working through connection sharing through XP.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    MattN03 wrote: »
    When you live in the middle of no where like I do, this is high speed compared to the other alternative-dial up :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone. A co-worker is coming over tonight and help me with it. He's confident that we can get it working through connection sharing through XP.

Yep this will work fine. On the PC with the air card do ICS, and use your RJ45 port as the out into the wireless router's wan port. You will have to setup the router with a PC first connected to the LAN side in the router.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    The laptop the card is in needs to act as a gateway on the LAN. Your wifes computer -> (wireless hub) -> laptop NIC -> wireless card.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    This router appears to be another solution if we can't get things working with ICS.
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    We were able to get both PC's connected to the network. He basically made my PC the router and only used the Linksys WRT54G for it's wireless connection to allow my wife's PC to connect to the internet. The only catch is that my PC must be turned on for her to connect to the internet. No big tell for me, since mine is the most used anyways. We're pleased :D
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    Sweet.