They think they found a glacier on Mars

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    I hear they are considering naming it Sona.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    That, was outstanding.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Take it for what it's worth, I hear the BBC only gets 3 out of 4 stars for integrity.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Insert joke about Uranus here.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    So there's ice on Mars, BFD.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if the glacier up there is melting due to global warming?
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if the glacier up there is melting due to global warming?

Nope. The Martians are using up the ice for drinking water but unfortunately there's no way to replenish the supply so the glacier is shrinking.

If Al Queda can evade the hundreds of US spy satellites, the Martians can avoid the 2 or 3 satellites we have over there.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    I actually had a clever little picture entitled "The Face on Mars", that showed a Photoshopped derriere rising out of the Martian landscape.

It was kind of cute, kind of amusing, but ...... well ........

:rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    water is an amazing thing. It is probably the single best solvent known, and its unique physical properties (high heats of vaporization and fusion, and the fact that ice floats rather than sinks) are intimately intertwined with the existence of life as we have it today on earth.

The presence of water in any form on Mars would be an extraordinary discovery.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited December 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The presence of water in any form on Mars would be an extraordinary discovery.

We've known for quite some time that the polar regions of Mars have ice caps, not unlike Earths polar regions. It was speculated in the 60's, and all but proven in recent years.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    We've known for quite some time that the polar regions of Mars have ice caps
    :-P

At one time, it was thought that those were frozen CO2 (i.e., 'dry ice'), but I guess it has been determined that they're water ice, and I just plain forgot. Sorry!

Still... water is amazing stuff...