Received defective TV via DHL--Who to Chase?

agfrost
agfrost Posts: 2,425
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ordered a Samsung LN-T3253 32" LCD from Fry's online, and was extremely happy with the $699 price I got it for.

It arrived yesterday--the box from DHL had some water damage to the short side of the box and the driver left a note acknowledging the damage, saying he didn't know how it got that way but insinuating that DHL would take care of it in case of problem.

I took it out, hooked it up, and fired it up. My reaction was "Wow, nice picture!" for 45 seconds, and then it started emitting LOUD static that wasn't even quieted my muting the set. I turned it off and on (happened again) and off and on, and finally it was quiet for 1.5 hours.

Turned it on again this morning--more static, so it obviously needs to go back. I suspect the problem is do to manufacturing defect, not shipping damage, but of course I can't know for sure.

My question: Should I

A) Call DHL and lodge complaint there, or

B) Call the local brick-and-mortar Fry's and see if they can help me, or

C) Call Samsung's 800 number, as the manual says I should do rather than return the set?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay
SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
Post edited by agfrost on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    B first, maybe they will let you just bring it in and exchange it. If not go for C, I promise you'll get a tech to your house faster than you will filing a complaint for a refund through DHL.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
    I assume you don't live near a Fry's? For some reason, I doubt you could actually return a Frys.com order to a real Fry's store.

Cases like yours maybe be one in a million (receiving a defective TV), but its the only reason I chose to buy my TV at a local store. Returns are 100000X easier, even if the price is a bit higher.

Good luck! No matter what you choose, I think you'll be without a TV for some time.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2007
    Once it leaves the manufacturer, you have to deal with the shipping company.

But, maybe Samsung can send someone out to determine who is at fault since no one ever likes to take the blame!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,425
    edited December 2007
    Thanks guys. Hopefully some fairly easy solution will shake out of this. I'm not too worried about the down-time, as the set is for the bedroom, but I don't want this to become a situation where everyone wants to point the finger of blame at someone else.

I just want to get it dealt with.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0