Navy rescues young girl at sea

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just finished reading this, pretty nice story with a happy ending. Talk about a nice Christmas present from the U.S. Navy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20071219/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_surgery_at_sea
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    As surprising and unusual as that seems, that is not out of the ordinary for the U.S. Navy. The Navy responds to more distress calls worldwide in a year than the Coast Guard does for U.S. waters yearly. It by no means lessens the tasks that were undertaken nor does it take away anything from those men and women that worked to save that girl in any way. It doesn't detract from the efforts of the Coast Guard in any way either. It just shows that the Navy is fully staffed with people willing to do such thing as take a 900 million dollar aircraft carrier and steam towards a cruise ship in distress at $2.5mil a day in operations costs just to get a little girl the help she needs. That's awesome!

I was on a cruiser for a test event. The ship I was on was taken out of active duty for the duration of about 6 months of testing. While we were testing, a distress call came out from a merchant marine tugboat based out of Brazil on their way out of Thailand. Halfway across, they had a crew member take a fall and if he didn't get medical attention, he'd at the minimum be paralyzed but would likely die. We were the only ship in the area and the Navy shutdown a 400 million dollar test event and sent a 450 million dollar cruiser full of sailors and civilians to the rescue. We steamed all night and part of the day to reach these guys, air lifted the guy on to the cruiser and turned around a hauled **** back to Kauai and got him airlifted off to a Navy hospital. Last I heard he made a full recovery.

Where I work, we build systems that have the intent of ending lives in self defense. Heady stuff when you think about it. But it is in defense of this great nation of ours that such powerful systems are put to bare. When I hear such stories that these weapons and ships are put to the use of rescuing people in need, it is honestly a proud moment that knowing my work makes those systems possible and it is a testament to our government and armed forces that we can see the value in preserving human life at any cost and we put something designed to take human life to the task of preserving it. It's not the tool that is evil but rather the operator of that tool. I hear about how evil the U.S. is and how we are overly aggressive in military and world affairs but I see stories like this and I know, without a doubt, that no matter how bad a perception there might be against us, our armed forces are full of people who are decidedly not evil. I also know that there is at least one more mom out there that doesn't see a staff of soldiers on the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan but a host of angels sent by God to save her baby girl and that right there is what heroes are made of.

I tip my hat and raise my glass as I have done many times before to the Navy and all the armed forces and all those who put themselves on the line everyday for such actions of total compassion and dedication even in the face of adversity. You are all my heroes and I am proud to have known so many of you and even prouder to know that there is no end to the stream of fine men and women that will come after you to fill your shoes when you retire your post and preserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all men and women. Good show boys! Keep up the excellent work!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    Read that before coming on here....fighting for us common folk is what they do best...that was a fight and they kicked **** as usual. Killer story...:)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I'm offended, I want this thread shut down. I'm writing Polk a letter right now.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    Dear Polk Forum Gods,

I'm a male.. well almost I'm ball less or I just can't locate them any longer................

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    That's just AWESOME!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Outstanding! Three cheers for the USS Reagan!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2