Alpine Imprint + polk SR biamped

Sutho_
Sutho_ Posts: 26
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Wondering if anyone has had much luck using Alpines cda-9887 + ktx-100eq (imprint kit) with the polk SR6500 in a biamp config?

I'm currently using the cda-9887 with the front preouts leading into ch1/2 of a polk C400.4 and then to the inputs of the tweeters on the SR Xovers, rear pre outs (off the deck) into ch3/4 of the C400.4 and then onto the inputs of the mid's on the SR crossovers. and finally the SW preouts each going to a C300.2 powering a SR124 each.

The problem i have found is the Imprint software comes up with error3 when trying to tune in 4sp+sw mode and when in 3-way mode, sounds lifeless.

I beleive the issue with 3-way mode is that the software is trying to set the Xover points/slopes for the tweeter/mid, however this is already done passively via the SR crossovers, cofussing the process.

In 4sp+SW it returns error3 (not able to use this mode or something similar)

Any help would be much appreciated as i would hate to go back to standard passives after experiencing the SR's biamp'ed.
Post edited by Sutho_ on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    Nice system..

I have no experience with this problem you are having, but I am in the process of putting te same setup together...

I will stay tuned to see what some of the installers have to say...maybe it will help me when I get to where you are..

Good luck !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    I know that Imprint system is still brand new, I don't know if you'll find anyone here that's used it yet. You should call Alpine and ask them. Or find a local shop that has some experience with the Imprint piece?
  • Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    unfortunetly emails to Alpine have gone without reply, the store I boughts the kit from is having similar response from Alpine...

Hoping someone would have 'real world' expereience with this.

Or does anyone have contact details for Alpine USA via email? (I'm in Australia, So contacting them via phone may not be the best option)
  • monologuist
    monologuist Posts: 40
    edited December 2007
    I have this setup powered by an Alpine PDX-4.100, as well as an SR124dvc sub powered by a PDX-1.600.....I am very happy with it.....I like the "Linear" curve best....I have my tweeters firing off the windshield and before I did the multi-eq tining, there was too much sibilance and brightness off the glass....now everything sounds nice and warm and balanced. Only complaint would be that the sub seems a little low in terms of level...I compensated by setting the sub level on the receiver to "0" before running the multi-eq tuning...then afterwads, you have 15 notches of level to boost if you so desire. Also, I would recommend doing all the seating location measurements in the front seats....if you do the back seats, the tuning is compromised to accomodate rear seat listeners, whcih is of course not a priority...
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2007
    I plan on using the Imprint kit pretty soon. My system will be running active, but I will be using the amp's built in x-over for the filtering. I do not want to chance ruining my tweeters if the Imprint chooses too low a frequency for them. I plan on calling Alpine regarding this to see what they tell me.

As for contacting Alpine, I've always had good luck just calling them.

Dyma has some guys running the Imprint setup. Here is a link, you may find something useful in there...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22136
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    monologuist: what mode are you running in? 3-way or F/R/SW?

1996blackmax: I would love to call alpine USA but I am in Australia and Alpine Aus don't seam to be as forthcoming with after sales service :( Cheers for the link, heap of information!

Looks like I'll just ditch the 9887 + 100eq combo due to a minor technicality at this point, which is a shame.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    I am looking to run the same hu and processor so let us know what you find out.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    Never have been a fan of anything that does the tuning for you. I would be willing to bet that most car audio enthusiasts also enjoy tuning their own system so Im not entirely sure the Imprint will be very successful. But if I knew anything about business, I wouldnt be delivering 200 pound beer kegs for a living.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2007
    From reading around, many people seem to be happy with the results.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2007
    So much for my career as a consultant. I guess its back to the kegs. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    I have heard a systems before and after with the imprint system and it is indeed impressive... for an auto tune setup.

I would prefer to have something I could tune myself (I own a RTA to assist with tunning), however it seams that this is the the high point of alpines range, without going to the f1 range (out of my price range) or a multimedia setup with a H701 (which i'm not too keen on video in car).

You simply can't beat manual tuning for personal tastes, providing you can do it or have the money to get someone to do it for you.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2007
    The 701 isnt just for multimedia, it can be used for 2 channel music as well. In fact its the best EQ/processor on the market in my opinion and a mainstay in SQ competitions. I use one myself and think its the best thing since sliced bread. You have 8 channel independant crossover, 31 band EQ, level and time alignment. There aint much you cant do with this thing.

• Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    Interesting, I thought about the 701 but have been told to not waste my time with it unless the Head unit has a digital out that can be used to transfer the signal.

Any thoughts on that? or is it a load of hog wash?

ontopic: Finally got an answer from alpine! oh wait no i didn't... waiting for a return call
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2007
    Its much better to use it with an optical out, but certainly not a deal breaker. If my shop sold Alpine, its the processor Id be using and I dont have an opt out.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • GLN305
    GLN305 Posts: 96
    edited December 2007
    I see the problem with your setup. You are using the passive crossover and and trying to implement the active crossover in the 9887, that just won't work. The active crossover is going to work better, so just bypass the passive crossover and go straight to the speakers from the amp. It's going to take some listening time, but the results will be awesome. Some people will say that the passive crossover is better because it is designed specifically for your speaker. Now, you have to look at the imprint system. It is going to design crossover points specifically for your speakers IN YOUR CAR as well as utilize equalization to get results superior to well designed passive crossovers.

Short and sweet answer is: The imprint kit will not work if you are using passive crossovers wired bi-ampable. Bi-ampable crossovers are made for people that don't have active crossover capabilities, but still want to use a seperate amp or channels for the mids/tweets respectively.
  • Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    GLN305: I agree with the statement about trying to auto setup active while biamped is not going to end well, that's why i'm looking for a way around. There is more to the SR crossovers then simply a LPF and HPF, so i'd prefer to keep them biamped :) As for full active, Been there done that; the SR's just never sounded right when active, leading back to the crossovers :) (active setup had a solid 4 month trial/error/testing period)

At this stage, the H701 is looking the go. I just need to find some info about running it with the 9887 (does sound travel through the Ai-net cable?).
  • Sutho_
    edited December 2007
    Succes! I think.

FInally got a hold of someone at Alpine Australia - technical via phone (near impossible!) and i can say that after 45minutes, my opinion on their customer service has turned around, absolute fantastic!

The solution given is to loop from the preouts of the C400.4's ch1+2 back into the inputs of ch3+4 or use a y splitter on the 9887's front preouts into the C400.4's inputs. leaving the rear channel free for another use. Was also suggested to turn down the gains on the subwoofer before measurement and adjust them afterwards, to suit tastes.

Hopefully this solves the issue and we are all good :D