New Camera - looking for input

2»

Comments

• tubino
    tubino Posts: 39
    edited December 2007
    I just played a little with my brother-in-law's new D40X. I LIKE IT, and I'm coming from a D200. I think you picked a great camera. The reviews I read were uniformly GREAT on the most important things, like image quality.

I have a Tamron 90mm macro that I love. I bought the Nikon 18-200, it is THE lens to carry if you're only carrying one.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    I'm a Canon user jumping into a Nikon thread so I'm not going to go into specifics. Regardless, I highly recommend you get a decent tripod. Even if you have image stabilizing technology, a sturdy platform will give you sharper pics. Next, for those vacations, grab a portable storage device that doesn't need a laptop to connect to. I have this.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-FlashPac-Memory-Storage-7080/dp/B0007WLI0W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198039135&sr=1-2

Now, this particular unit won't display pics but that's not the point. Sometimes, you just need to change out memory cards, slap the full one in and tap the copy button, throw the storage device back in your backpack, stick an empty memory card in your camera, and go. Repeat as necessary once you erase the card when the copying is done. One drawback with this unit is it's a bit slow on the copying so shop around and look at features. YMMV.

And, yes, hang on to your wallet because you're about to go on a wild ride.

Enjoy!

Yeah, there's alot of Nikon specific talk, but please feel free to add in photography tips in general as we can all benefit. At this point, the "War of the brands" serves none of us. I'm all for learning how to take great photos!

That storage device looks cool!

A tripod is a must for razor sharp macro shots, especially EXTREME closeups.

Everyone say bye bye to Maniacs wallet!

Should I even post this link...

www.alienbees.com

HA HA!

John
    No excuses!
  • tubino
    tubino Posts: 39
    edited December 2007
    Forgot to mention that the D40 takes great photos, but it does have some limits regarding lenses. AFAICT, it cannot auto-focus with some older lenses, even when those same lenses WILL auto-focus using a D200.

I discovered this empirically last weekend, but apparently there is a LOT on the web about the specific limitations of the D40. I don't consider that a big drawback for a camera in that price range, but you might want to read up before you invest in lenses.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    May I just add: when you do buy a tripod, don't scrimp.
    We have a couple of Manfrotto tripods (mostly for Mrs. H's spotting scopes); you get what you pay for.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Manfrotto tripod here also. Eventually, I want a RRS (Really Right Stuff) ball head for it. Very expensive, but as you said, you get what you pay for.
    No excuses!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    Yes, that's correct info on the D40, and applies to the D40x as well.

Neither one of these cameras has the motor built in the body, they motor is built into the lens. I don't know if there's a trade-off other than cost.

Both of these cameras will only autofocus with the AF-S or the older AF-I (I think those were mostly big telephoto only) lenses. Kind of a bummer if you're wanting to have a big lens selection, but most people who buy the D40 aren't looking to carry that many lenses. There are a handful of zoom lenses, and at least a couple fixed lenses that are AF-S, some of which are also the VR series.

Not a deal breaker for me, but I suppose could be for some...those people should buy a D200...