Best "Self Help Business" books?

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Ok, not sure if Self Help is the right word, but I picked up the book, Good to Great the other week and am reading it right now. What an amazing book. If you are in a business and haven't read this one, you need to. Go buy it now! I guess I'm looking for business books that are going to help you become even more aware... of what to do to change and succeed in the world as it is now...

If you haven't read a book, or don't have personal experience with it, please don't chime in stating, "This is the best book blah blah blah..." as fact... looking for serious opinions here, because I want to pick up a few good books with my little bit of Xmas money after the 25th.

"How to win friends and influence people" style I suppose. I found this one online, Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done but don't know if it's fluff or worth it's weight... so I decided to get some opinions here.

Not sure the specific genre these would fall under, possibly Business books, but I know there are some very savvy business folks out here... so I want to know what you know!

Thanks for the time! And Merry Christmas!!!
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    great question..I would also be interested..

Is the book that you are reading called "Good to Great" ?....who is the author

If you don`t mind me posting in your thread...not meaning to threadjack
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2007
    Yes, Good to Great by Jim Collins. I haven't read a whole lot of business books, but this one is a must own for any business owner out there... or for someone that may eventually become a CEO or VP or whatever...

Now that I finished my semester, I will have some time to actually sit down and finish this book... can't wait! Plus an 11 day vacation from work starts Friday! Yah baby!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2007

Thanks..

Regarding the second one, is that to help you actually change careers? Or what? I've heard that title mentioned before, but wasn't sure what it was about. I love the type of work I'm currently doing, so I didn't know it it would be applicable.

Thanks
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2007
    Anything by or with Gene Woolsey. Love the guy, only guy I know that bought a Norman Rockwell for $5 ;) His books are hilarious and very applicable if you have to do anything in the real world.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    "48 days" is about finding that special gift that you have to build a career around or help a person get off dead center when dreaming about creating a business around hobbies etc.

Vital info for those not getting the most out of their skills...........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    What Color is my Parachute.
    I can't tell you how many people I've talked to over the years said that book helped them discover their true calling.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2007
    markmarc wrote: »
    What Color is my Parachute.
    I can't tell you how many people I've talked to over the years said that book helped them discover their true calling.

Ya, I feel that I've found my gifting and calling in the business arena. Now I'm looking at increasing my value as an employee until I either move up to a VP or greater in a company or start my own...

Any other's?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing

If you're going to start your own business it means you're probably starting small and you'll need to know all about marketing. This book is pretty much a must read for anyone in business and it's all about common sense, which these days, seems to be uncommon.

I wouldn't recommend Al Reis and Jack Trout's other 'Law Of' books.
  • MrNightly
    edited January 2008

The QBQ book... wow where do I start? If I paid more then $4 I would probably try to sue for my money back ;)

No, seriously... it was a book about nothing. He could have printed one page and communicated the exact same thing. Think about the question behind the question, accept responsibility, ask good questions, don't point the finger and you'll get ahead... There, now you people that haven't read it, don't go buy it ;) While his points were all true, they were mostly fluff in my mind.

Just got the Execution book in the mail today... looking forward to reading that over the next few weeks.

Any others?
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited January 2008
    The only one I ever managed to read all the way through was called Swim with the Sharks by (IIRC) Harvey McKay. I thought it was excellentn and I still quote some of his more interesting ideas (e.g., NEVER let someone who is leaving an organization suggest, recommend, appoint, or ordain his/her own successor).

The whole concept of a "self-help" book written by someone other than oneself is sort of ludicrous though, isn't it? :-P
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2008
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but, the books by Marcus Buckingham:

First, Break All the Rules: What The World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780684852867&itm=1
    Now, Discover Your Strengths
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780743201148&itm=1
    Go Put Your Strengths to Work: Six Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780743261678&itm=1

I have only read the Now, Discover your Strengths, but have found it to be a worthwhile and interesting read. It includes a code to do an online series of questions to determine your strengths. I am now beginning the "Go" book.