Rusty Trumpet

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Is there a way to fix a rusty trumpet or a rusty trombone?
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Acid dipping and re-laquering a Trumpet usually costs about $250. The results are often as good-as-new.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Dammit! I thought there was a dirty joke over here!
    Now I have to get back in line, Dammit!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Sorry Demi, can't help you there. Tried to google it but kept coming up with responses on www.urbandictionary.com.

I hear coca cola takes rust off things....maybe try that.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    I like these thread names, "Rusty Trumpet", "Bottoming Out?"
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    Um, I wouldn't put Coke on a trumpet.

Dude, if it's just like s "student" model and kinda junk, I wouldn't worry about it. The horn is prolly worth $150 tops. If it's got any real value or sentimental value, take it to a music shop that does repairs, they will be able to easily give you an estimate and do the work. They may or may not dip the horn but the real cost is in the labor behind pulling dents and dings, straightening bent parts, resurfacing valves and such and removing the coprrosion. Then it has to be polished and retuned. That all is labor intensive. A good shop should be able to do it quickly and you'll get out of it for $250-$500 depending on the amount of damage. It seems like alot but if you play and it's a good instrument, it's worth it to refurb.

All I have anymore is a student model. When my great uncle died, I was supposed to get his trumpet but but greedy cousin said it was lost and ended up selling it to pawn shop. I really wish I had gotten his trumpet 'cause I would have had it refurbished and I'd probably still be playing it today. But a new trumpet of any value is going to cost me a couple grand and I just don't have that scratch right now. One day though. I'd love to get back into it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    You can actually clean off the oxidation with something like "twinkle" or other silver or brass polish. Thing is, it oxidized because the laquer came off and although you can make it look good it will come back. Some music shops do repairs. A place here in MD called Chuck Levins are professionals at this but it costs...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    It would help if we had more details.
    A laquered trumpet is gold in appearance. A silver one may just be tarnished.
    I'm guessing that the rust is actually "red rot"... which a brass-rust.

Laquered trumpets really can't be fixed for rust with polish. Its going to take an overhaul and that costs some money. But, in the end, the re-laquered trumpet will look like new.

If its a silver trumpet and needs re-plating (with nickel), that will cost more.

Here in Indy, I'd recommend www.musiciansrepair.com
    E-mail: musiciansrepair@aol.com

Very talented repair shop. I'd trust them with ANY trumpet.

Overhaul and Refinish
    Disassemble. Strip old lacquer and chemical clean. Check all joints and braces; solder as needed. Remove average dents, polish, color buff and degrease entire instrument. On lacquered instruments, the finest acid-resistant lacquer is then applied. Plated instruments will be sent to Elkhart to be plated. Reassemble with new springs, felts, and corks; lubricate. Check valve alignment on both up and down stroke. Clean and polish mouthpiece, straighten shank if needed.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited December 2007
    Do you have a trombone ?

I used to play and own two of them, one was a cheap student model the other was a Bach Stradivarious. Gave the student one away and sold the Bach made enough money to buy my rti8s and then some. So what and where is/are the rust issues?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    Dammit! I thought there was a dirty joke over here!
    Now I have to get back in line, Dammit!

You mean a busty strumpet?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    Pics!
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    I think there's medicine for that.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.