ATTENTION BX Shoppers!

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
What would youse guys say if I told you I bought a BRAND NEW, Ipod docking station, with 2 half decent, two-way speakers, a remote control thing, and.....
hold your zorches, a two-channel, 2 line input, VACUUM TUBE based integrated amp?

All in one brand new box at normal BX prices.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2007
    I would say..." Damn you George,Damn you to Hell."

Thats my take on it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I'd say I know what Stephanie is getting for Christmas.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    If you had said USB turntable to convert vinyl to mp3's I think I would have passed out.

However, without that, sounds like a nice gift you're giving to someone. :D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2007
    GG didn't say anything about giving it away as a gift........

...he's going to do a nice X-mass Karma.....count me in!!:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    My wife dispatched me to the BX so that "I" could purchase gifts for the underprivileged teenage boys whose families SHE adopted for Christmas.

"Go buy me three or four portable cd players or something. Teenage boys should like that."

When I got to the BX I realized teenage boys don't want port cd players. They want Ipods and mp3 players. So I asked somebody in the BX to show me what those things looked like, and I found a couple mp3 players. I'll have to find a couple more, but that's okay. Anyhow, I'm standing around waiting to pay, and I'm leaning up against this display with all their Ipod docking stations. That's when I saw the vacuum tubes sticking out the top of this thing. WTF I said to myself. Here? In the BX? The price underneath the display for all four pieces said $99.97/set. I grabbed a brand new box, (which had a $199 BX price sticker on it), and when I got to the register, the guy scanned it, and it came up even less than the $99.97.

I think I should buy ten more. It is labeled on the box as a HCT KOREA product, made in China. It is model number HMS-100. The amp has a detachable IEC power cord, a cage over the tubes, and a massive non-toroidal transformer. Little laboratory grade toggle switch to select between Line 1 and 2 inputs, two sets of RCA inputs (gold-plated), and gold plated 5 way speaker binding posts. Mini-headphone plug on the front fascia. It may even come with really nice little speaker cables with bananas on the ends. When I open the box I'll let you know. I need to learn more about this thing before I open this box. The only way to do that may be to go back and get another one. This way I'll always have one in a sealed box.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2007
    Sounds like a nice find. Your magic closet aura seems extend beyond to the BX.
    Best wishes for the holiday season and good for you for your generousity for the boys.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Don't know if you got my PM GG, but here is one on ebay with some details for it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HCT-HMS-100-APPLE-IPOD-DOCK-SYSTEM-W-13-WATT-TUBE-AMP_W0QQitemZ320195135954QQihZ011QQcategoryZ84082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$299.99 bid, $399.99 buy it now.

Sounds like you can get them for a great price.

Comes with:

Piano black finish speakers
    Power cable
    Audio cable to connect Docking Station and Amplifier
    Banana Plug speaker cables
    Aux source audio cable for connecting CD player etc
    Video cable to connect from docking station to TV

Specs:
    Power Output 13Wx2
    Frequency Response 20Hz -20KHz (+/- 0.5Db)
    Harmonic Distortion 0.5%
    Signal-To-Noise Ratio 86Db
    Input Impedance 100K
    Output Impedance 4ohm, 8ohm
    Valve Type 2x6N1(ECC85) 1x6E2(EM87)
    Power Supply AC100~120V/50~60Hz AC220~240V/50~60Hz

Dimensions:
    Amp (LxWxH) 260x145x130mm
    Dock (WxDxH) 155x130x123mm
    Weight 30 lbs.

Hopefully that's the info you were looking for before you go buy another one just to open the first box. :D
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    Those are gunna be some lucky kids.

Hell, for that kind of coin - I'm thinking about a computer rig. Time to hit up Ft. Eustis, Langley and Norfolk if all else fails.

No kidding, was it just your local BX with a close out?

If they're everywhere I might have to talk dad into a ride down to Seymour Johnson for old times sake :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Sona wrote: »
    Hey, GG,

While you're at it, buy a couple Wii's.

You could do a good deed and turn a profit this season.

I don't think GG is concerned about turning a profit. :). I just posted the link for reference of what's inside the box and the specs on it in case the box didn't say. The guy on the ebay link probably opened the box before.
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    The ebay listing/Sona's image is the exact product I have.

I WILL be going back to the BX. I WILL be buying all I can. I WILL turn a profit and grace my favorite kids at Githens. Questions?

All I wanted to post was, this thing is OUT there. If the BX has them, everyplace could have them. I already know MY BX here at McGuire. It's a matter of time before I walk in and buy one brand new in the box for 50% off what I paid today. Till then, I will purchase them for what I paid today. This could happen to you too.

I have found a sticker on the bottom of the box which indicates to me that the BX paid $136 for this product. Seems about right if their initial sell price was $199 (which it was). So AudioAdvisor is selling this thing minus some of the parts for $649? What does that tell you about AA?
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    What does BX stand for?
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    I want one. . .

Wait, that looks like the iTube by Fatman. . . if you get anymore, I would love to try one out!

http://blog.stereophile.com/stephenmejias/101606fatman/
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    Base Exchange. It's an Air Force thing. PX (post exchange in the Army). Military K-Mart if you will, one on each base.

If it wasn't freakin' rush hour, with every hammerhead in South Jersey on the road right now, I'd be headed as we speak. I'll wait till after dinner. Even then, I have a feeling they are out of stock, and I may have to turn on the charm just to get the display model.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    Man, this would be perfect for my office rig! A quaint little bookie system with remote that can play my MP3s from the computer and ipod.

Looks like these retail for close to $650 new. . . www.hctkorea.co.kr/admin/product/download.php?&bbs_id=hctmanual&page=&type=1&doc_num=57
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    nms wrote: »
    What does BX stand for?

Truth, justice, and the American way.
    Sal Palooza
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    One of the few things I miss about the military-RETARDED prices on stuff.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    GONZO. Just got back. The display model was gone. There is a possibility that one is in the family. After I got home with mine, and before I got with you guys about it, I called one of the pilots at the squadron to go get it. A fine son of The Reich named Martin, there is a possibility HE went and got that one.

When I went back, the salesman took the pricing placard off the empty spot in the display rack and went into the back to look for one for me. Before he did that, he stated that the price on the placard, $99.77, indicates a product that the BX will no longer order or stock. This is BX secret code talk because the price ends in the number 7 according to the salesman. I know the BX well enough to say that one or two may float through their again. One or two may get returned unopened in the box because they were a Christmas purchase that wasn't what was wanted/needed. I see this happen ALL THE TIME. I can also say that I've already checked the BX mail order catalog and it's not in there either.

I'm going to sit on this one for awhile. Stephie won't want it. She's got a big Onk receiver in there driving a pair of AR-302's, and she'd rather listen to her Ipod or mp3 thing through a Boston Acoustics sub/sat system she's got in there too.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2007
    BX here in Japan has them in stock for the same price. Perhaps I should buy one for the office.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    Perhaps? If McGuire had ten they'd be all mine. I noticed that underneath the $199 price sticker is another BX sticker for $259.
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    You tell me why The Bronx is the only borough name that is preceded by the word "the". People never say "I'm going up to The Queens" or "I'm going to The Brooklyn", or "I'm going to The Manhattan". Why is that? There IS a reason for it and it's a good $5 bar bet in the NYC area.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited December 2007
    "I would say..." Damn you George,Damn you to Hell."tonyb
    I 2nd that. LOL

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    Correct Sal. When still in Dutch hands, that whole area was owned by The Broncks, Bronckes, Van Bronks, or something like that. So if you were headed that way, you were probably going to visit The Broncks.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I just looked in my PX (I would say BX but this place is 'run' by the Army)....no such animal.

However, I have an HCT ipod/alarm clock thingee that the previous occupant of my room bought and left behind.....and I don't mind saying, I like it. Pretty well constructed, sounds good (you need a PHD to figure out how to set the alarm and so forth though).

Good score, El Roma.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    It was a terrible score. The way I see it, they had a total of three. Two in stock and the display model. How did I end up with only one? I'm retiring before I start peeing myself in the middle of the a deal.

I was thinking about you and your perceived rig problems in the future. Would've been a cheap out.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    George, I applaud you for being a 'forward thinking' kinda guy. There was a time when if the sentence contained 'tube' and 'ipod' that you would have kept on walking.

Keep this up and people will think you've become downright trendy.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    There was a time when if the sentence contained 'tube' and 'ipod' that you would have kept on walking.
    George, I haven't known you for that long but I must concur. Times are a changin'.....
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2007
    So I went to my BX and PX and these are in stock for 98.00 bucks. Is this worthy of buying. I could put one in the office if I bought, have you had a chance to listen to it yet George.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2007
    Tubes for under $100. Doesn't seem to get much better than that.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • George Grand
    edited December 2007
    I can't believe you're asking me about this thing when they're in stock for $98 at your local BX, with its LIBERAL return policy. Do you know why there are no more in the McGuire BX? It's not because anybody other than me "knew" about these things. It's because some grandmother or grandfather was there with a shopping list when they dropped the price on these things, and it became the only $99 Ipod/docking station/amp/speaker combo on a display shelf full of $200+ combos. 12 year old kids will be getting these freakin' things for Christmas. And unless you hurry, some kid's going to have yours.

My ears are worthless for outside opinions after 32 years of tanker engines. Just buy as many as you can for crying out loud.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    ledhed wrote: »
    Tubes for under $100. Doesn't seem to get much better than that.

+1. That about sums it up.