It's that time of year again!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Geminids Meteor Shower is tonight!

http://www.livescience.com/space/spacewatch/071213-geminid-news.html

Many meteor showers tend to disappoint, but the annual Geminid shower is relatively reliable. And this year's version, which peaks tonight, is expected to be a great one.

Meteors could start showing up anytime after dark this evening, Dec. 13, low on the eastern horizon. A better display should begin after 10 p.m. or so local time, when the constellation Gemini, from which the meteors emanate, rises higher into the Eastern sky.

By 2 a.m. local time Friday, Dec. 14, Gemini is directly overhead, and meteors will streak outward in all directions like spokes on a wheel, weather permitting.

Forecasters predict one or two shooting stars per minute during the peak hours.

It's a shame that most of us Northeasters up here won't get to see much at all what with the craptastic weather. It's supposed to be overcast and miserable through Friday evening. But if you got clear skies tonight and happen to be looking to the heavens after midnight, you'll likely get a treat!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    Clear skies for me so I'll be taking a peek. Thanks for the heads up!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Snowing like a sumbitch here, the only thing I'll see falling from the sky is that ....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Cool, a reason to stay up and drink.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the heads up. Glad it wasn't another injury report! ;)

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Like you really NEED a reason!

That's like Mark needing a reason to be nekkid in Troy's bushes. Hell, he's probably there now listening to the voices in his head and telling the one guy in the back who keeps shouting "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" to shut up!

At least he doesn't have my problem. The voices in my head tell me what to do all the time but I don't really listen. I mean, they say stuff all the time and that's ok but there's always that one guy who speaks Spanish and it's distracting 'cause he's loud and I can't understand a damn thing he's sayin'! I'm always just like "Dude, shut up, will ya?"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2007
    One of the nice things about living in Az, is the weather is usually pretty good for meteor shower viewing.

I'll probably check it out tonight and tomorrow night.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2007
    Not in. But nice karma. :D

We have not seen the big yellow thing in the sky for days here in the Land of Pleasent Living.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Are you the long lost brother I never knew about? :eek: :D

TXS for the post Jstas! I love anything astronomy, especially live.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~