The Mitchell report - 2:00pm today

m00npie
m00npie Posts: 697
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I really don't think there will be any surprises on the list. Most of the big names have already been mentioned. I think they will name at least 50 but I have read up to 80 players named. Not sure if that list is just active players or past players as well.
Post edited by m00npie on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Get ready to have your favorite player exposed as a cheater.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • m00npie
    edited December 2007
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    Ripken?

That would be seriously disappointing. I haven't been very interested in baseball since the O's stopped doing well, so I guess, what, the past 20 years or so. If Ripken were implicated that would be the final nail in baseball's coffin for me. Of course they'd be some seriously bad steriods; I don't picture him as being a Mr. Olympia.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Ug oh, here we go!:D;)
  • m00npie
    edited December 2007
    Ug oh, here we go!:D;)

Like fishing in a bucket...

I put Ripken's name in their just for you Joe :D
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Apparently Roger Clemens is the first big name according to early reports.

Baseball is about to get pounded in the arse today! Going to get ugly at 2pm.

John
    No excuses!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    It's nice that guys like Jeter won't be on there. A select few still respect the game for what it is.

Can't wait to see all of the "instant meatheads" from the last 10 years or so finally get their due. Honestly, the sooner this is out and cleaned up, the sooner baseball can get on with things and put this shadow behind them.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • m00npie
    edited December 2007
    Well, I'm certainly no fan of Barry Bonds, but if you hold him out of the hall or mark every achievement with an *, then Clemens and everyone else that gets named today needs to be held to the same standard.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    Well, I'm certainly no fan of Barry Bonds, but if you hold him out of the hall or mark every achievement with an *, then Clemens and everyone else that gets named today needs to be held to the same standard.

Exactly. And for every player identified today, I guarantee there are 10 more that didn't get caught. If you're going to asterisk BB (as much as I hate the guy) then you need to asterisk anything done between the mid-late 80's and now...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Gotta love it, government regulated baseball. sheesh. [sarcasm]Way to go MLB for looking the other way...[/sarcasm]
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    The report names names...so what? As I understand most of it is a "he said" report with not much "proof". Most of the time when you are accused of doing something I would assume that one would be able to refute the information or informant. That's probably not going to happen here.

IMO there are much greater "drug" related issues than steroids. I really don't care what they put in their body. They will pay for that in ways far worse than the negative publicity down the road.

Some will say "What about the records or what about the HOF, etc?". Again I don't really care...sports is entertainment...big business for sure...but still just entertainment. I lump athletes in with musicians, actors and so forth. I enjoy watching/experiencing what they do...but how they did it or what awards they get really doesn't matter to me. I know many disagree and feel it is really "important"...I don't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    I agree that it's "just entertainment," but when records are kept, it's not fair to those who didn't have steroids to be compared w/those who do. In the end, it's cheating.

Also, the example these guys set for kids is hugely important. As steroids have been proven to be bad for the body, it's in everyone's best interest to get rid of them.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    I agree that it's "just entertainment," but when records are kept, it's not fair to those who didn't have steroids to be compared w/those who do. In the end, it's cheating.

Also, the example these guys set for kids is hugely important. As steroids have been proven to be bad for the body, it's in everyone's best interest to get rid of them.

In my mind there are much more important things than records.

As far as kids...One of the few things I agree with Charles Barkley on...athletes...even the "good" ones, should not be my kid's role models.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    In my mind there are much more important things than records.

As far as kids...One of the few things I agree with Charles Barkley on...athletes...even the "good" ones, should not be my kid's role models.

Yeah, I agree. But if you're an athlete, been training & working hard at it for most of your life, the records might mean something to you. & History judges athletes on records as well.

& I agree that my kid's role models SHOULDN'T be athletes, but the fact remains that that they WILL be for many. Sad but true.

As my Scottish relatives would say, "Ach well, laddie," there's not much we can do about it.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    Whooops, didn't see this until I posted this. Sorry!
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2007
    Geez, a bunch of former Orioles on that list. I see a current one, Brian Roberts, made the list.

We just got rid of Tejada, so Houston gets to deal with him now.

Talk about a massive image cleanup job for MLB.

Just goes to show, 'Roids doesn't necessarily = Championship. About the time all these O's were using is about the time we were (and still are) sucking.

How I long for the old days of baseball.

John
    No excuses!
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2007
    say it aint so!!! pettit????:eek: gawd almighty!:mad: who's next freekin jeter????? :rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    The official full list from the report can be found here
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • m00npie
    edited December 2007
    sda2mike wrote: »
    say it aint so!!! pettit????:eek: gawd almighty!:mad: who's next freekin jeter????? :rolleyes:

Not surprising in the least... Clemens & Pettitte were training partners for a very long time. One followed the other to another team and then back again.

Clemens received 3 Cy Young awards since he started using in 98. Knucklehead!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Like fishing in a bucket...

I put Ripken's name in their just for you Joe :D

I figured as much!:p:p:p
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    There is no doubt in my mind that Lenny Dykstra was juicing! He came to Philly rather skinny and left like the hulk. That is him pictured in Bobman's link with steroid rage.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    What pisses me off, is that MLB dragged their feet with all this BS, until AFTER bonds broke the record. They F**king planned it that way to get more fannies in the seats, and their final nickels in, before they imploded.
    And like idiots, I predict the fans will forgive & forget, just like they did with that NHLPA strike a couple years ago.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    I could care less. I'll still follow the sport of my youth.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    Didn't Tejada win the HR derby a few years back?
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    If they can prove steriods or HGH they should go to when the athlete first used them and strike everything from then on. Hits, pitches, runs, strikouts, walks, wins, losses, catches, RBI's, everything; then see if he can get into the Hall of Fame. These guys say "look at me", "I am the best", "show me some love", "pay me the most" when they should say "I cheated and became the best".
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Didn't Tejada win the HR derby a few years back?

Yeah, but that was from the B-12 injections. :rolleyes:
    No excuses!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    does steroid use in MLB really surprise anyone? i'm just disappointed it took this long to expose it.. c'mon, really.. did anyone not know this was going on? I don't follow MLB closely at all.. and you can tell there was rampant roid use. please for heavens sake.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Look - the solution is easy here: just put them all on steroids. Then the playing field is level again, and fans get to see a lot of balls hit outside the park - everybody wins! :rolleyes:
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    I like that Fernando Vina was named. What a ****. He's tiny. He had 40 career homeruns. And besides being a ****, is probably best known for leaning into pitches. What kind of a **** need steroids to better lean into pitches?

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Of course they'd be some seriously bad steriods; I don't picture him as being a Mr. Olympia.

Steroids don't necessarily make you grow huge amounts of mass. You have different kinds for different things. Some increase muscle mass, some increase strength without adding much muscle (one of the favorites for athletes btw), etc. Athletes usually opt for the "milder" drugs that do not add much mass.