Zune - trying to love, but the hatred bleeds through

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I picked up a refurb Zune for pretty cheap and I loved the different gui. I have an iPod classic and have hated the interface from the start. Just never been an ipod fan, but I bought one for the 80gb / size / battery life. The zune is quite a bit bigger but has a more solid feel to it giving me the impression that it won't get scratched and dinged as easily. The controls are actually usable with gloves on or through a pocket since it doesn't rely on a bare finger and the screen is great. The possibility of synching it over wi-fi is awesome too, but I haven't gotten that far...

I spent hours and hours the first night trying to get drivers set up and the application actually working so that my computer would recognize the zune. No luck with that so I attempted it on my work latop and it went a lot smoother, since I went with the recommendation to use the old Zune software and refuse updates. I have since then reformatted my desktop and thrown a fresh copy of XP Pro on it and it recognized the Zune! Great, right? It was up until I decided to follow the instructions of the program to update the firmware on the Zune.... it did its thing and got stuck in an endless restarting loop. I did a hard reset on it to remove all firmware and then tried again with the same results. Back to my laptop with the old software I tried loading the old firmware and now it says it can't load so I'm stuck with a Zune that won't boot.

Anyone else trying to give Microsoft a chance and running into countless problems?

I have a few ipod vs zune pics to post later for a size & aesthetics comparison if anyone is interested.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    michael_w wrote: »
    So I picked up a refurb Zune for pretty cheap and I loved the different gui. I have an iPod classic and have hated the interface from the start. Just never been an ipod fan, but I bought one for the 80gb / size / battery life. The zune is quite a bit bigger but has a more solid feel to it giving me the impression that it won't get scratched and dinged as easily. The controls are actually usable with gloves on or through a pocket since it doesn't rely on a bare finger and the screen is great. The possibility of synching it over wi-fi is awesome too, but I haven't gotten that far...

I spent hours and hours the first night trying to get drivers set up and the application actually working so that my computer would recognize the zune. No luck with that so I attempted it on my work latop and it went a lot smoother, since I went with the recommendation to use the old Zune software and refuse updates. I have since then reformatted my desktop and thrown a fresh copy of XP Pro on it and it recognized the Zune! Great, right? It was up until I decided to follow the instructions of the program to update the firmware on the Zune.... it did its thing and got stuck in an endless restarting loop. I did a hard reset on it to remove all firmware and then tried again with the same results. Back to my laptop with the old software I tried loading the old firmware and now it says it can't load so I'm stuck with a Zune that won't boot.

Anyone else trying to give Microsoft a chance and running into countless problems?

I have a few ipod vs zune pics to post later for a size & aesthetics comparison if anyone is interested.

No problems with our Zune that we bought off of Woot for $89.

Our review of the Zune ? Awesome.

Bigger, sure, but rugged. Battery charge lasts a lonnnnnng time, too.

We had ZERO problems connecting to the computer via wireless. We updated the firmware right away, turned it on, and VOILA ! Everybody's talking.
    Sal Palooza
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    Love my zune ---

Getting another one for Christmas for the home...

Like the controls much better than Ipods...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited December 2007
    Maybe you just have a bad Zune. Reburbs aren't always perfect.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    A Zune being a pain with software surprised you ? Did you forget that Microsoft was behind it :D Actually they work ok, but I gave mine away.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    Well .... I haven't received it yet.

Got a tracking number ?
    Sal Palooza
  • michael_w
    edited December 2007
    At the amount of problems I've had with it I'm shocked all of you have had good experiences. I think the issue is that when it tries to update to the new firmware it no longer recognizes the device properly and can't finish the upgrade, effectively getting stuck in a firmware-less limbo. I'm going to try a few more things and if it doesn't work out I'll either try to get a new one or ebay this. I'll have to check the return / exchange policy with the store - it might save me a lot of hassle.

When I try to load the firmware from my laptop using the old software I get "It is not possible to change sync settings at this time. Try again later." I have tried editing the registry for the Microsoft LAN Manager compatibility level (setting it to 2 instead of 0) and runing BITSADMIN to remove any files stuck but had no success there.

Battery life on the ipod classic seems MUCH longer than my zune. I heard the battery life is improved with the new firmware?

I like the controls too. Tactile feedback is taken for granted until you run into a device that requires it (ipod / itouch / iphone / pocket pc). And the soft case / sleeve thing it came with is perfect. I was quite impressed they included an accessory actually worth using.

Thanks ;)
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2007
    It honestly sounds like you got a dud Zune. Someone didn't check the refurb well enough I guess...
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    The Zune itself has some nice features, but the computer software I found to be typical Microsoft, half-assed and lacking intuitiveness.

But still, Apple needs the competition to continue to push and make the iPod better, that will benefit all consumers.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    Ive used the IPod and the Zune both --

The Zune to me is built much better, feels more solid - dosnt have clinky buttons...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2007
    Im in the market for a new MP3 player, was thinking of the Itouch or the Zune, any take on both, I have three ipods now, like them but Im not against trying anything new reason why I want the itouch or Zune. Also I have a limited U2 edition Ipod never used.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    I love my Zune. Much better headphone amp than what Apple throws into their iPods.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2007
    michael_w wrote: »

Michael,

I had the same issues with my Zune also. I figured out after an extensive google search that the Zune does not get recognized when using your front USB ports. If you use the rear USB ports that are directly hooked to your computer's motherboard then it will work.

I am assuming you were using the front USB port on your desktop since when hooking it up to your laptop went smoothly. (They are directly hooked to your motherboard)

As for the Zune itself. I love it, and would never own another brand of mp3 player.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • michael_w
    edited December 2007
    Looks like my post yesterday never actually went through. So I managed to lose the receipt for my week old zune :( It must be around here somewhere...

IMO the ipod feels like it's built better simply because it's all metal, but the Zune doesn't feel like it'll break or scratch if I happened to drop it. I was disappointed how fast the back of my ipod scratched up (within the first 20 minutes of it being in my soft pocket it was all scratched).

Sound quality they're fairly different. I'd say the Zune sounds a bit tighter, especially in the lower end, but the iPod has a much much larger soundstage that is more similar to my cd player. It sounds neutral but almost lifeless with the narrow soundstage.

zune2custom2se8.jpg
    zune1customoh3.jpg
  • michael_w
    edited December 2007
    ...I had the same issues with my Zune also. I figured out after an extensive google search that the Zune does not get recognized when using your front USB ports. If you use the rear USB ports that are directly hooked to your computer's motherboard then it will work...

Thank you for the tip but that was one of the first things I tried. I've tried all the ports on the front, back AND from a powered hub. I will give it another shot tonight, thanks.

With wi-fi synching potential, the large screen and ACTUAL buttons I'm doing my best to keep giving this device another shot. The only thing I wish it had was better support for video formats (all my stuff is .avi) and for that I miss using my pocket pc.
  • michael_w
    edited December 2007
    After a couple more hours of fiddling and in depth troubleshooting I gave up. I finally found my receipt and went back to the store expecting them to send it to microsoft, but they asked barely any questions and swapped it out for a new one.

Got it home and voila! Everything has worked perfectly the way it should. Plugged it in, updated the firmware first go around. Recognized it properly and wireless sync was ready to go in a minute. This thing is great! For a little over a hundred bucks it'll be awesome to take snowboarding and other places where I don't want to bring my more expensive ipod.

BTW, I actually like the white better than the black. It looks less cheesy and a little more unique. Maybe I'll get a couple pics for tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas people :D
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited December 2007
    Michael,

Glad to hear that. That is a first I have heard of with someone dealing with issues as large as your with a Zune. Although I do not know very many people that own one...so that could be the case too!:)

Any ways like I stated before we have 3 zunes in our house all work flawlessly, and every individual loves them. In fact my sister in law wanted one of our older IPods for christmas, but I sent her my Zune instead and she loves it. Of coarse this gave me an excuse to purchase an 80gb Zune right after the holidays.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png