Amp feedback on SDA 2.3tl's

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem with a pair of 2.3tl's I just recently purchased. I just bought a new Adcom 5802 amp to go along with
them. The only problem I am having is a loud audible hum when the amp is turned on (this occurs whether the preamp is connected or not). Now when I hook up my little 5jr's there is no problem and the amp sounds great. I know the 2.3tl's are working fine because when I hook them to my Denon receiver there is no problem. Both speakers are properly bridged with no apparent short. The hum does not occur in the upper range only in the low range.

Some feedback on my feedback is much appreciated. I will consult
Polk and Adcom on this, just thought I might pick your brains first.

Thanks, JR:D
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2001
    i had the same problem with my 2.3's with my sunfire amp.i bought a line conditiener and it solved the problem.

scott:cool:
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited September 2001
    The problem is with the SDA cable. It seems that this creates a feedback loop to the amp when connected. Major bummer, It seems Polk SDA's are incompatable with this amp when useing the cable. I bought these speakers with the cancelation in mind.

:(
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2001
    Jeesh... I feel very fortunate.
    I was strongly considering a new Adcom 5802 and
    went with a used Krell instead (same price).
    The Krell works absolutely fine with SDA speakers.

Used quality equipment is incredible.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2001
    Hello,
    I believe we talked on the telephone today and have determined the cause of the amplifier problem. I have sent the instructions for the non-common ground modification of your pin/blade cable in today's mail.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger