TV stand search

PhantomOG
PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Can anyone help me find the tv stand I'm looking for? I've upgraded to a 52" LCD and my old stand just won't cut it. Particularly, I need a place to put my center channel (CSi40). I don't want to mount the TV to the wall (or put in a shelf just for the center channel).

Something like THIS would be perfect. Reasonable price, I love the center channel storage with mesh to hide it and glass doors for the components on either side. Only problem is, the center channel compartment is only 19" wide from what I've read and the CSi40 is 23" wide.

I do not have the skills/tools or time to build my own. And I'd rather not spend a ton of money. Am I screwed? I guess one good thing about my 200 lb CRT tv was that I could just set my center channel on top. Having it off center at the moment is driving me crazy.

There are lots of open shelf tv stands that would do the job, but I prefer the enclosed type cabinets like the one I linked to above.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Post edited by PhantomOG on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2007
    Find whatever stand you like and use one of these for your center channel. My buddy back home uses this for his Infinity C/C and it works like a champ. You can tilt it down to whatever area you need.

Or, is your TV a flat panel LCD? I just noticed where you said something about not wanting to mount the TV on the wall. That's what I like about my new setup. I have my 50" plasma mounted on the wall and my front LCR's are all inwall that are painted to match the walls and the rear 4 speakers are in-ceiling. Then, I have my separate 2-channel rig in the LR now, too. I'm going to build a double width "FlexyRack" (or whatever they are called) to house the separate 2-channel/HT components.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    On an LCD? Looks kinda scary...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Phantom,

I am not sure how much you are looking to spend, however many new stands offer an LCD mount attached to the back of the stand to "simulate" it being on the wall. Here is an open cabinet for example:
    http://www.racksandstands.com/Bush-Furniture-VS11550A-03-BU2537.html
    BU2537_l.jpg

With something like that you could raise your TV up 5-10 inches then put the center channel directly in front of it on the top shelf. I know you said you prefer the enclosed cabinet, but I am sure you could find something like this enclosed....
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, flat panel LCD. I guess I just don't appreciate the aesthetic of wall mounting a TV. I still need some sort of shelf to hold my components and a place to put the big floorstanding speakers so I figure there's no need to go through the hassle of wiring through the wall and such. Plus its just puts the TV about 1~2 feet further away :p
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I've been looking at some of the LCD stands with built-in mounts, however, all the ones with enclosed shelves I could find had $1K+ price tags.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been looking at some of the LCD stands with built-in mounts, however, all the ones with enclosed shelves I could find had $1K+ price tags.

Yea, that's all I'm finding as well. That one from bush doesn't look half bad....
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    I doubt you'll find exactly what you're looking for in your price range, so you'll have to make some concessions. BaggedLancer has a good option. You can even find those type of stands at Walmart for $199.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    Damn... I found the perfect stand. Only problem is the $699 price tag.

Plateau 65" stand

Maybe its worth it though... sounds pretty nice.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007

Plateau 65" stand

I have a Plateau Audio rack(check my sig for a link to my showcase).

It's sturdy as can be, well made. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $700 for that piece. I think my little rack alone was $200.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007

Plateau 65" stand

Wow -- 65" wide. Check with the WAF before you hit the "buy" button.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    A little wide, but the tv itself is almost 51" wide, so that only leaves 7" on each side. Not too overwhelming. Plus it leaves room to get an even bigger tv :D
  • avguytx
    edited December 2007
    Something that wide would work perfect for me other than it's too short. I'm wanting something around 28 to 30" tall...thus, the reason for building when the garage isn't so darn cold.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    A little wide, but the tv itself is almost 51" wide, so that only leaves 7" on each side. Not too overwhelming. Plus it leaves room to get an even bigger tv :D

Just make sure it can hold excessive amounts of gear for future upgrades.;)

• apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited December 2007
    Here is a nice stand for what you can find them for at times on line. Sanus PFFP2-B I think I paid $380 for mine with free shipping on Amazon. They list for $499, you may want to ask the manufacturer about your TV. They say up to 50" and 130 lb. I have my 42" plasma mounted and it works well for that and I would say it could handle 50" with no problem. The wire management is lame though. I think there is an additional shelf you can purchase as well.

Another to look at would be the Bell'O model# FP-4855. Do not know much about it other than it is listed as handling up to 52" TVs and could probably be had a little cheaper than the Sanus above. Doesn't look like you get much shelf space with it. Here are a couple crappy pics of my Sanus.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007

+1

I bought my stuff from them. They probalby have 10000 stands for sell and they are well priced and shipped fast.

Mine (which is a TV stand):

DSC00504a.JPG
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=SO0078
    Not as nice as the rest, but fully customizable and expandable.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • avguytx
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    +1

I bought my stuff from them. They probalby have 10000 stands for sell and they are well priced and shipped fast.

Mine (which is a TV stand)

Which model is that? Pretty cool....