FM reception

Samantha31
Samantha31 Posts: 30
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Not sure if this belongs here or not...

I am looking to upgrade the FM reception I am getting on through my receiver. I really don't want to have to hire someone to put an antenna outdoors on my walls or roof. So, I'm looking for a decent indoor FM antenna. I searched the web last night and came across a couple models made by TERK. Has anyone tried these or perhaps has had luck with other indoor types?

Thanks

Sammi

Sharp Aquos 1080P 46D64U LCD :D
Yamaha HTR 6030 AVR
Toshiba HD-DVD A30
Sharp - Blu-Ray
Polk RM6750 5.1 HTS
HD-PVR Satellite Receiver
Post edited by Samantha31 on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    A BIC (British Industries Corp) Beam Box can do wonders. I sold one a couple weeks ago for $25 or $30. They pop up on that auction site. The model I had was FM-10.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    The TERK antennas are hit or miss in my experience. I have this one:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14142&langId=-1

It's relatively inexpensive (about $30 or $40 IIRC) and it works well enough. I have alot of other electronics buzzing constantly so my EM interference can get pretty bad but this antenna seems to drag stuff in through all of that. It's not as good as say and aerial on the roof but good enough for what I use it for.

I've also heard good things about this one:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14150&langId=-1

I've been told that it really does drag in some signals from impressive distances. But it's susceptible to interference I was told. Then again, the one guy who has one and told me he had problems with interference...well, um, he lives across the street from work here and the dumb schmuck built his house next to buildings with pretty powerful radar arrays on them. So he gets "spotty" reception as he called it. I call it RF radiation stomping all over his FM signals...and Sirius and TV and cellphone and...well, everything! It's called jamming and it's an effective electronic counter measure. So take that interference claim with a grain of salt and don't shoot the messenger here. I don't make the news, I only report it!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Samantha31
    Samantha31 Posts: 30
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will some more research tonight and decide what I will do!

Sharp Aquos 1080P 46D64U LCD :D
    Yamaha HTR 6030 AVR
    Toshiba HD-DVD A30
    Sharp - Blu-Ray
    Polk RM6750 5.1 HTS
    HD-PVR Satellite Receiver
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Stay away from most "amplified" antennas; they mostly amplify noise and not the signal. How about an attic mounted FM antenna? Do you have an attic with access to it?

Also, this is a very good indoor alternative: http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/fm-antennas/fm-reflect-antenna.aspx

Back when I had tuner, I used one of these, very good well-made unit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2