University Parking Tickets

Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I got a parking ticket today (two actually) for parking across across from my dorm for about 2 hours. Apparently it's 30 minute parking or something, I don't know. I just knew other cars do it all the time so I did it. The other ticket was for not having a temp parking permit. They are stupid and annoying tickets.

The ticketing service is through www.scapay.com. I'm from NY and I go to school in Maine so I'm not sure how they do things here. The SUNY colleges in NY have troopers on campus, so if you get a ticket, it's an actual ticket. But here, it looks like it's done through some grimy little campus service. They were given by a kid in a golf cart, not a police officer.

Do these tickets actually matter? The university has no way of correlating my vehicle with my name, as I didn't get a permit or register it with them, so is there any way these tickets will follow me around, like if I got pulled over by an actual cop? Would they show up on my insurance policy? I just don't want to ignore them if they are legit. I don't think there's a way for the school to track down who owns the car and withhold transcripts or diplomas so I don't think I really need to be worried. I figured I'd check with the experts first though.
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Good question. I don't know the answer, but even if they can't "follow you" with it, they can make your car banned on campus, so that if they see it they can tow it. Unless you never plan on going back, I'd either fight it or pay it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2007
    Our parking tickets were like $15 bucks if you paid within a week...I had a friend that had got over 20 in 4 years...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited December 2007
    No idea... but tickets on campus at the university of maryland are a B****!

75$ for parking w/o or with a wrong permit. INSANE...
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote:
    I don't think there's a way for the school to track down who owns the car and withhold transcripts or diplomas so I don't think I really need to be worried.

Guess again.

Run the tag...get home address, SS#...compare to their records = No grades.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Guess again.

Run the tag...get home address, SS#...compare to their records = No grades.
    I still graduated from college after not paying multiple campus parking tickets.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2007
    Wouldn't they need cops to run the license plate? Or can any jo schmo run a license plate and find all my info?
  • exalted512
    edited December 2007
    I'm sure they type your license plate number in their little thingy and it goes into their system so the ppl that issue it never have access to your personal info.
    -Cody
  • shack
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote:
    Wouldn't they need cops to run the license plate? Or can any jo schmo run a license plate and find all my info?

No there are several methods of running plates. If it is a state run university it is even easier. If not they can simply present the plate # to the local police who will be more than happy to run it as long as the university gives them a valid reason to do so. ie: illegal parking.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited December 2007
    University parking tickets are handled differently by every university. You are most likely going to continue to face issues with them if you don't pay them. Unless your car is registered to a completely different person (which is a whole other set of issues, if it is...) then if you don't pay them then the school is going to track down who the car belongs to and start the collection process. The severity of the collection process could be minor, or it could be major. Again, it will differ depending on the university.

I would just pay them and avoid future parking tickets like the plague. I speak from experience ... I was not able to get my diploma from my university until I paid all parking tickets that I had accumulated during my 4 years of school.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    You should just pay the tickets you scoff-law!

Just because everyone else parks there too doesn't make it right and doesn't necessarily mean they didn't get tickets either.

Be glad, at Drexel, the Philadelphia PD handled the streets and the school handles everything else and they didn't mess around with the parking garage and surface lots. If you were parked where you shouldn't be, you got a ticket. If you didn't pay it, they fine you extra and send it to a collections agency. If you got another ticket, you car got "booted". Then you HAD to pay tickets to get your car back. If you did get your car back and you did it again, you got towed and impound fees approached $1,000. If you were parked in a lot that was permit parking only, you got a ticket the first time. The second time, you got towed.

Yeah, Drexel still has the cheapest lots in the city so there is insane competition from not only students and faculty but people actually get fake Drexel ID's made up so they can swindle their way into cheaper parking for work.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2007
    I never said I was right, I said it was annoying and I said I did it because I had seen other cars doing it.

Calm down...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    dipiazza wrote: »
    No idea... but tickets on campus at the university of maryland are a B****!

75$ for parking w/o or with a wrong permit. INSANE...

U of MD has to pay for Gov. O'Malley's rediculous tax hikes somehow. Why not pass it on to the students who are trying to pay rediculous tuition prices.
    No excuses!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    I work at University of Maryland. Aside from Athletics (the #1 revenue producer on campus), parking services is the 2nd largest revenue producer on campus!!!!!! That and they have reciprocity with the MVA so if you don't pay, it may not catch up to you until you try to renew your license, register your tags, etc. Then it's a nice kick in the balls with the late fees.............
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    Campus parking is one of my pet-pevs. I was dropping off books at the UW library last year and pulled into a spot. My fiance was sitting in the car with the car running when she was approached by an "officer". He started to write her the ticket without saying a word. She hopped out and ask him if she could just move the car since she was in it and it was running. He said no and that it didn't matter. When I came back from my THREE MINUTE trip, she was sitting in the MOVED car with a parking ticket! So pissed...
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2007
    Every school is different, but I had an unpaid campus parking ticket for years and never thought of it until I needed a copy of my transcripts. They would not release them until the ticket was paid. It may be worth just paying it, just a thought.
    Venom
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I know! How dare people enforce parking rules!

It's like when I pull into a handicapped space at the grocery store. C'mon, I'm just running in for 5 minutes, how many cripples can there be?!

/sarcasm
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • margate21
    margate21 Posts: 105
    edited December 2007
    my university withheld my diploma until i paid.. ashamed to say how high my bill was. just pay and get it over with..
    Home Theater
    lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
    onkyo 805
    sunfire tga 5200
    toshiba - xa2
    panasonic bd30
    sony kdl40v2500
    svs sb12+
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I'm from NY and I go to school in Maine so I'm not sure how they do things here..

What part of NY? I'm from Queens.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    zingo wrote: »
    Campus parking is one of my pet-pevs. I was dropping off books at the UW library last year and pulled into a spot. My fiance was sitting in the car with the car running when she was approached by an "officer". He started to write her the ticket without saying a word. She hopped out and ask him if she could just move the car since she was in it and it was running. He said no and that it didn't matter. When I came back from my THREE MINUTE trip, she was sitting in the MOVED car with a parking ticket! So pissed...

In NJ, if the situation is as described, you are not "legally" parked but you can still get a ticket for obstruction of traffic.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    edited December 2007
    Yesterday I was at the local Wal-Mart. Now I was only in there for about 5 minutes and when I came out, there he was - a damn Motorcycle cop writing a parking ticket ...

So, I go up to him and said: "Come on Buddy, how about giving a guy a break?"

He simply ignored me and continued writing the ticket.

So, I called him a pencil necked ****... He then glared at me and started writing another ticket for having bald tires!

So, I called him a sorry excuse for a human being. He then finished the second ticket and put it on the car with the first. Then he started to write a third ticket!

This went on for about 25 minutes ... the more I abused and hurled insults at him, the more tickets he wrote ...
    But hey, I didn't give a ****. My truck was parked around the corner ...
    -Cody
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited December 2007
    At my school (a SUNY university with actual cops) the tickets do not follow you off campus. So if you aren't a student/faculty/staff member then you could just blow it off.

Students on the the other hand...they will get a frozen account or their grades held (ie no graduation) until they pay the ticket.

But either way...those things are like $20 and if you take the time to even attempt to refute them they will probably throw it out.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • Airplay355
    edited December 2007
    I did not know the SUNY tickets don't follow you. I got one at Potsdam one time and decided it was best to deal with it because it was written by a trooper. I'm from Fishkill, by the way.

Anyway, I read through their parking policy and the worst thing that happens is I get my parking privileges revoked. I don't really care much, as I probably won't have the car next semester anyway. So, I'm going to ignore them for now, there is no late fee listed and I highly doubt they are going to take all their parking tickets to the local PD to have then run the license plates.

I can't refute it, because it requires you give all your information and it requires that I had some urgent emergency, which I didn't. I'll keep the tickets and ignore it, since there's no late fee listed, I don't think anything too bad will happen. For now, I burried my car in a big lot far away from campus which they never check.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I did not know the SUNY tickets don't follow you. I got one at Potsdam one time and decided it was best to deal with it because it was written by a trooper. I'm from Fishkill, by the way.

Is that near Cold Spring by any chance?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2007
    :D
    appadv wrote: »
    What part of NY? I'm from Queens.

Ah Queens, I lived there for a few years near Flushing, 164st. I don't miss it one bit.
  • shack
    edited December 2007
    Just pay the damn ticket and be done with it.

• Airplay355
    edited December 2007
    Yup it's very close to Cold Spring. About 15 minutes away. I went to school in Beacon which is adjacent to cold spring.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    venomclan wrote: »
    :D

Ah Queens, I lived there for a few years near Flushing, 164st. I don't miss it one bit.

Are you kidding me?

Flushing, 62nd Rd
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    We have something like this at my school. Unless it is state enforced and they can't link it back to you then it is crap. Don't pay it. I've never paid my old ones from OSU and have never had a knock on my door telling me otherwise. The problem now is that you can never screw up again. If they see you illegally parked again, they have your plate number and they will tow you as a rescidivist. Then when you go to get your car, you will have to pay an impound fee plus all the tickets you've racked up. The question is, do you want to use your get out of jail free card now or later?