Running new speaker wire ?

Bubba -NJ
Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Does anyone have any tips on running new speaker wire ? Especially any way to make it easier to run the new wire through the rubber factory wiring boots between the doors and the body of the vehicle . I drive a 2001 Chevy Suburban if this helps . I've done the back doors already , just wondering if I did it the hard way . I removed all door panels and plastic trim pieces , then pulled the speakers out , I then removed the boot from both ends(all factory wires still in place), worked a clothes hanger though the boot and then pulled the wire through using the hanger . It wasn't easy . Is this the way the pro installers do it ? Thank you in advance .
Post edited by Bubba -NJ on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2007
    I use the hanger also.... i put the hanger all the way through first, tape the wire to the end of the hanger and then pull, im not gonna lie though, on my civic... the wire looming was retarded, the sleeve was full of wires already and had pretty much no room and on top of that.... the way the door is designed, i couldnt get a hanger all the way in there.

U only do it once.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007
    There is a product available from Select Products called dry lube. Once you use it you will never know how you did without it. Actually the 2001 Surburban is one of the easier vehicle to do even without the dry lube.
  • sept298901
    sept298901 Posts: 5
    edited December 2007
    i am a fan of attaching a string to the stock wire, and pulling out the wiring leaving the string in it's place, and then attach the new wiring to the string and pull out the string. i used this technique for my whole car, and it worked really well for getting my power cable through my firewall.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    I usually get impatient and then really mad and just drill a big hole right into the side of the door and run it thru that way. Thats probably a reason I dont have any pictures up on the Install Showcase.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited December 2007
    There is a product available from Select Products called dry lube. Once you use it you will never know how you did without it. Actually the 2001 Surburban is one of the easier vehicle to do even without the dry lube.

As it turns out the front doors were way easier than the rear doors . I also forgot to get the dry lube but I really didn't need it anyway . Thanks for your help again Gentlemen .