A stupid question, but I have no idea

TRINADS
TRINADS Posts: 27
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
What does SDA mean? I know its related to speakers, but I have NO idea what it stands for. Sorry for the newbie question, but it's killing me that I can't figure it out, and I keep seeing it all over the place!! Thanks!!
Post edited by TRINADS on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    stereo dimensional (was dynamic) array. Best thing since sliced bread :D

See this site for a little more info:
    http://www.polksda.com/

Also, here's a paper Polk released about the SurroundBar, which builds on the SDA technology. Read the section titled "original SDA technology"
    http://www.polkaudio.com/partners/papers.php?id=8
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited December 2007
    Actually, Stereo Dimensional Array.

Don't feel so stupid, I own a set and I still had to double check.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Strong Damn Animal cause that's what they are!
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Actually, Stereo Dimensional Array.

Don't feel so stupid, I own a set and I still had to double check.

Oh man, I really do feel stupid. I have a pair as well... DOH!
    My system

• TRINADS
    edited December 2007
    Thanks!! I would have never figured that out. Good to know, I appreciate it!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2007
    TRINADS wrote: »
    What does SDA mean? I know its related to speakers, but I have NO idea what it stands for. Sorry for the newbie question, but it's killing me that I can't figure it out, and I keep seeing it all over the place!! Thanks!!

Don't go past the SDA explanation otherwise you'll go straight into Audiophile Hell.
    Stay away from sda speakers. Don't demo,listen or look at a pair.
    If you do, you'll be compelled to buy a pair, drive insane amounts of miles to acquire a pair and spend all your hard earned money getting better audio equipment just to get better performance out of them.
    CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • TRINADS
    edited December 2007
    duly noted. I do have a pair of LSi15's for my fronts and the LSiC center with 2 pairs of the FXi3's for surrounds, just curious, as i'm just learning of these SDA's, how would my speakers compare?
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the Polk Audio forum.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    TRINADS wrote: »
    I do have a pair of LSi15's for my fronts and the LSiC center with 2 pairs of the FXi3's for surrounds, just curious, as i'm just learning of these SDA's, how would my speakers compare?

Well, that seems to be the question of the year in the Vintage section. The sounds are very different (being completely different designs and components) and people will argue you to death around here about which ones sound better.

IMO, LSis are very crisp and clean. They are fantasticly detailed and really can't be beat for the price/performance when it comes to brand new speakers. SDAs are warm and very musical. They are also detailed, but completely different since you have the SDA effect.
    The best thing to do is go find a pair of SDAs that you can demo or listen to and judge for yourself.

And welcome!
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    The best thing to do is go find a pair of SDAs that you can demo or listen to and judge for yourself.

If you do this there is no escape for you - you will end up with a pair one way or another. I just bought a pair Sat. and I already can't imagine even getting rid of them; unless, of course, I was buying a bigger pair :)

As esavinon said, don't go near 'em unless you are prepared to get some!
    My system

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    SDA rocks. Though...your LSi rig is NOTHING to sneeze at.

I'm sure that there must be a polkie in the area that would be more than happy to let you get your demo on.

I've owned both LSi's and SDA....it's apples and oranges, really.

Welcome to Club Polk!

BDT

PS, Hi Al!!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    I will own SDA's in my lifetime. Hopefully they will be the 1.2TL's. If your thinking about getting a pair you wont go wrong. And welcome to the club.
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited December 2007
    wow, I don't even feel worthy of looking at them w/o bowing my head. I had no idea what these speakers were all about until that link was shown above. My LSi15s look anorexic in comparison. I sure would love to hear SDA-SRS sometime. I'm guessing you need some pretty impressive amp's to make these things sing properly.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    nms wrote: »
    ....don't go near 'em unless you are prepared to get some!
    It would be nice if this worked with women. Oh wait it does! :D

Welcome to the forum.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    I'm guessing you need some pretty impressive amp's to make these things sing properly.

Nominal recommendation from Polk for the SDA SRS (the biggest ones) is 1000 W/Ch. Yes, that's 1000 not 100 W! However, as has been said elsewhere, they will "sing" on far less power (esp. the smaller SDAs). I'm running 100 WPC into some SDA 2As and they'll go louder than I want in my small room - but these are the "baby" SDAs.
    My system

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    Why doesn't Polk bring a newly manufactured version of the SDAs back? Hmmmmm? Hmmmmm? Anyone? Anyone?
    :confused::confused::confused:

I'd give 'em a whack for sure.
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    Why doesn't Polk bring a newly manufactured version of the SDAs back? Hmmmmm? Hmmmmm? Anyone? Anyone?
    :confused::confused::confused:

I'd give 'em a whack for sure.

Read the first post:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45468

Many have asked that question :)

EDIT:

Additionally, what cost $3000 in 1987 would now cost almost $5500! Would you pay that much for a speaker? I know I can't afford to, and there's nothing functionally wrong with the old SDAs, and they're affordable!
    My system

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    nms wrote: »
    Read the first post:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45468

Many have asked that question :)
    Thanks nms - I should have searched first... :o